How to use voice control in TomTom GO in Android Auto?

Flanimal
Flanimal Registered Users Posts: 10
Master Explorer
So far I have discovered that I can say "ok google" followed by "Navigate to Bristol", which causes Google to say something like "Getting directions", and a single destination result seems to be fed into TomTom.

But what I want is what I get if manually type Bristol in the TomTom search - I get lots of great options with Bristol as the town or in the local road names. I get the same, rich, options if I run TomTom Go from my Phone and press the TomTom search microphone on-screen button and simply say "Bristol".

I guess I'm asking if there is a way to activate the TomTom voice search when using Android Auto, as opposed to using Google Assistant voice search which sends the intention on to the TomTom program.

I'm very happy to read the manual if anyone can direct me to a TomTom Go manual for Android Auto. :)
Thanks.

Comments

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,411
    Exalted Pioneer
    improvements are needed with aa
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    Flanimal wrote: »
    So far I have discovered that I can say "ok google" followed by "Navigate to Bristol", which causes Google to say something like "Getting directions", and a single destination result seems to be fed into TomTom.

But what I want is what I get if manually type Bristol in the TomTom search - I get lots of great options with Bristol as the town or in the local road names. I get the same, rich, options if I run TomTom Go from my Phone and press the TomTom search microphone on-screen button and simply say "Bristol".

I guess I'm asking if there is a way to activate the TomTom voice search when using Android Auto, as opposed to using Google Assistant voice search which sends the intention on to the TomTom program.

I'm very happy to read the manual if anyone can direct me to a TomTom Go manual for Android Auto. :)
    Thanks.

@Flanimal , we have created this feature request for Google some time ago: https://issuetracker.google.com/u/0/issues/182063324
  • Flanimal
    Flanimal Registered Users Posts: 10
    Master Explorer
    TomTom Go Android Auto Voice control now works PERECTLY! I don't know whether this was a TomTom update or an Android Auto update, but THANK YOU!

To illustrate this major improvement, if I say "ok google, navigate to bristol", TomTom now gives me a list of Bristol-related destinations, E.g. Bristol city, Bristol Road, etc. This is perfection, and has made TomTom Go for Android Auto perfect in my eyes.

Can't believe this improvement got made unannounced!
  • MUP
    MUP Registered Users Posts: 566
    Revered Pioneer
    edited August 2021
    Flanimal wrote: »
    ... Can't believe this improvement got made unannounced!
    The feature worked since the beginning of TT+AA v3.1.0

Start TT and AA, then
    Simply say OK Google drive me to ....
    OR
    Press the mic button at the car's steering wheel for very long time until you can hear a beep, then tell TT only the destination where to go.

But no smalltalk please, just like you can ask Google' assistant "Very hot today, where can I buy a cold beer?" B)

Then choose from a presented list, if only the town was told to the system.

May be it depends on the technical background/setup?
    v3.5.2 looks no more like a blueprint or starting from scratch App, now more then a completely error reduced technical redesign following the rules given by Android and Google's Jetpack-Lib.

Setup:
    TT Go Navigation 3.2.5
    Wired by USB to the car
    Android 11
    Pixel 4XL
    Car integrated AA updated in early 2021 by VOLVO