Rider will not charge from mount — TomTom Community

Rider will not charge from mount

sshenleysshenley Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
Hello, My Rider has stopped charging from the mount. I have checked with a volt meter and the 2 prongs on the mount are giving out just over 5 volts. So the problem is with the TomTom Rider itself. Is this something that can be fixed with a service?

Answers

• kieronkieron Posts: 498
    Superusers
    Hi there sshenley -

Have you checked that the two contacts on the rear of the Rider have not become contaminated? If they appear to be discoloured, then using a pin, gently rub each contact being careful not to touch both contacts together as that would cause the device to short out and cause internal battery damage.
  • sshenleysshenley Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks for the advice, Kieron. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,677
    Superusers
    edited June 23
    Hi
    @sshenley
    Welcome to the site....
    Have you checked the ground/earthing point on the wiring of the Rider 4/5xx Mount for a high resistance joint ??? A high resistance ground/earthing point will give the same symptoms....

For example.... A User on the Rider Forum had used a ground/earthing point on the front forks of the motorcycle and the resistance/poor connection through the headstock bearing was causing the low charging rate....
    When the user ran the ground/earth wire directly back to the battery, it fixed the problem....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks for the advice, although I don't really understand. The wiring was done by a dealer and it's connected to the bike's ignition. So it's not directly connected to the battery. Can you give me any other advice for me to pass on to the dealer?
  • kieronkieron Posts: 498
    Superusers
    Hi @sshenley -

I think the best thing to do rather than try to interfere with the dealers installation to the bikes wiring, is to give them a call and explain that the Rider charges normally via its rear usb connection and as you have cleaned the 2 rear contacts and checked that a 5+ voltage is showing at the mount pins, see if they can investigate for a poor connection to the mount.
    Good luck and keep us informed of any outcome.
    Thanks, Kieron for your support