Future updates and feature requests for GO App — TomTom Community

Future updates and feature requests for GO App

MauiiMauii Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hello! Been following the TomTom Go for Android Auto forum for the last 2 months, since I bought a new Car which supports it. As being a developer myself, I understand that the Google AA library is limited in its function and I have studied the available elements and templates.

However, since the current implementation of TTG for AA is very basic compared to the competition and even AmiGo, I am wondering when a new version can be expected. The competition and even AmiGo have released several new updates in the last weeks, where since the initial release of TTG 3.1.0 for AA 5 weeks ago it has been very quiet and no improvements have been pushed to the general public.

Can you give us a little update on what we can expect in the hopefully near future?

Besides the issues already raised by other users, I have two that I think have not been mentioned yet, but I ran into several times:

1. It would be nice to receive a notification that the GPS of the phone is not turned on. Mostly I have GPS disabled and connecting it to the head unit of my car shows the map and a grey arrow, but there is no indication or popup that I forgot to enable GPS on my phone or even enable it by a popup (if that is possible). Otherwise I have to enable GPS on my phone while driving or find a parking spot to do so.

2. I would like to have the map display when connecting my phone to the head unit of the car to display the 'up close' view of the streets and not the 'far' overview it shows now. Maybe you can add a toggle in the settings of what view to show as default?

Thanks!

This discussion was created from comments split from: GO Navigation app 3.1 - Android Auto!.

Comments

• szachowaszachowa Posts: 338
    Staff
    Thank you for using TT GO Nav and for your valuable feedback regarding Android Auto. We are planning few improvements in coming releases ie. way to notify about traffic/speed cameras. Please be also aware that future Car App Lib is going to support map interaction and that’s in our backlog too.

Based on your feedback I have added for us following future improvements:
    GONAV-3561 - informing about no GPS
    GONAV-3563 - add possibility to define default map mode on AA HU
  • NarmononoNarmonono Posts: 79 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hello
    It would be great if these improvements were made to go navigation when used with Android auto.
    Do you know when these improvements will be implemented?
  • DunkelmannDunkelmann Posts: 25 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Add "Delete next stop" as a button on screen (not hidden in a sub menu).
    Add "+"/"-" buttons on screen for zooming (not swiping alone).
    Add average speed over Average Speed Camera distance.
    Staff
    Narmonono wrote: »
    Hello
    It would be great if these improvements were made to go navigation when used with Android auto.
    Do you know when these improvements will be implemented?

Mentioned improvements are meant for Android Auto.
    I don't know when these improvements will be implemented, sorry.
  • Kevhart100Kevhart100 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I use both the IOS and Android version of this app with carplay and Android Auto respectively. In carplay there is a very good feature that gives info about a speed camera approaching , traffic delays and average speed camera zones. As seen in top left corner of attached screenshot. Can this be added to Android Auto please.8zoa3ku3nib7.jpg
  • rabero1985rabero1985 Posts: 97 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    That would be great in AA. I also see road number in ios. AA is behind but again, carplay is longer supported...
    edited June 26
    Add option for avoiding heavy traffic regardless of the extra time it takes even if on fastest route option.

Allow the user to specify the extra time they are happy to spend. E.g. Avoid heavy traffic if the new journey is up to 20 minutes longer.
    edited June 26
    Add the ability to add a stop on the map for Android Auto either using a favourite or a point on the map.
    Add the ability to swap between next stop and destination arrival data with a single press.
    Staff
    edited June 28
    Kevhart100 wrote: »
    Hi, I use both the IOS and Android version of this app with carplay and Android Auto respectively. In carplay there is a very good feature that gives info about a speed camera approaching , traffic delays and average speed camera zones. As seen in top left corner of attached screenshot. Can this be added to Android Auto please.8zoa3ku3nib7.jpg

Yes, we are investigating, and we are in contact with the team who implemented CarPlay in GO Nav for iOS platform.
    Staff
    rabero1985 wrote: »
    That would be great in AA. I also see road number in ios. AA is behind but again, carplay is longer supported...

Yes, in plans. I won't share here the ID of the ticket, but I'm sure we have it in our backlog.
    CarPlay is longer supported, we have to give AA some time to develop further. I have already seen that Google plans to add map controls to their library, which is great news!
    Staff
    Dunkelmann wrote: »
    Add the ability to swap between next stop and destination arrival data with a single press.

Hi, but where do you want to see this feature?

In the app running on the device you can long press the ETA panel to cycle between stop and destination. On AA we are limited by the template.
    Staff
    Add the ability to add a stop on the map for Android Auto either using a favourite or a point on the map.

I just checked, and if favorite is along the route, it can be added as a stop by using Android Auto head unit. Just open menu -> my places -> select fav and then tap add stop.
    Point on the map is currently not possible, because google disabled any kind of map interaction in their library that we use to implement AA in GO Nav.
    szachowa wrote: »

In the app running on the device you can long press the ETA panel to cycle between stop and destination. On AA we are limited by the template.

Then add a button on AA.

I just checked, and if favorite is along the route, it can be added as a stop by using Android Auto head unit. Just open menu -> my places -> select fav and then tap add stop.
    Point on the map is currently not possible, because google disabled any kind of map interaction in their library that we use to implement AA in GO Nav.

When will we get a manual for AA?
    Add the ability to test the volume of spoken instructions.

I need this to set the car up. At the moment I have to do strange things like: allow speaking of time to destination, set up a route and start it, sit and wait for the spoken destination info. While it is being spoken I have vary little time to adjust anything. If I need more time, I have to repeat the process. Old TT Go used to have a test and volume control.

See next post for why I need this.
    I don't use TTAA now because it is essentially a frustrating defeatured release. On returning to TTphone I now have no instructions volume when running TT. I noticed when I press my volume up and down keys that the change is for the Bluetooth volume. Why would that be? In the house I get the music volume. I have Music Channel set in the app.

I suspect that if the car Is set to allow BTAudio and the phone is connected via BT, the phone forces BT output.

I think I used to get TT spoken instructions through the Call channel of the car. Perhaps that is the phone BT channel. I cannot tell because probably the car call volume is down or muted and I cannot hear it. This means I cannot tell when an instruction is spoken so I can increase the volume. The car volume control only changes its current channel (e.g. music or call).

You will see why I need a test instruction/volume facility reinstated.

I will investigate further. A manual that explained how TT links to the car (phone and AA) would be useful. I would write something but I lack the basic technical knowledge.
    Staff

Then add a button on AA.

As I mentioned before, we are relying on library from Google for Android Auto implementation, We are very limited when it comes to number of available buttons that we can use on the head unit.
    Staff

I need this to set the car up. At the moment I have to do strange things like: allow speaking of time to destination, set up a route and start it, sit and wait for the spoken destination info. While it is being spoken I have vary little time to adjust anything. If I need more time, I have to repeat the process. Old TT Go used to have a test and volume control.

See next post for why I need this.

You can also tap downloaded voice in Menu -> Settings -> Voices. This will trigger introduction of the voice that can be used to test the volume control.

I need this to set the car up.

You can also tap downloaded voice in Menu -> Settings -> Voices. This will trigger introduction of the voice that can be used to test the volume control.

Thank you. That is a useful piece of lateral thinking.
    edited June 28
    Regarding instructions through the car, BTooth being connected will play the voice as an audio channel for the car but it means you cannot play car media at the same time. I switched off the phone permission to play audio and now the volume control is fine if not connected by cable.

The only way to get the app to play navigation instructions through the car is to use Android Auto. I have removed the app from AA so it still runs on the phone and not on the head unit. That suits me because I can use Google maps on the head unit to display a simultaneous 2D map with traffic.

• SpringsSprings Posts: 40 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Is there a way to change the zoom level on the AA screen so that I can see further ahead - at present it only seems to show about 0.5 mile of map, so when driving on motorways/dual carriageways this only seems to provide about 30 seconds of anticipation. On my phone the map seems to automatically zoom out much further than when displayed on the AA screen.

The AA screen is in landscape orientation whereas I use my phone in portrait orientaion so that I get more time to anticipate approaching road junctions etc. and move into the appropraite lane - important during rush hours when all lanes are full of traffic.