Directing audio to the vehicle speakers - Ford Transit Custom — TomTom Community

Directing audio to the vehicle speakers - Ford Transit Custom

I use the radio in my van a lot - non DAB but I have a DAB unit connected via a designated FM frequency. The DAB unit is not really involved in this post as such; only for info.

TomTom Go (Android mobile app) is used for navigation and when the radio is on the phone audio does not get through obviously since either AUX or BT must be selected. This means I switch off the BT on the phone so I can hear audio over the phone whilst the van radio is playing. I have discovered that if I switch off BT and wait for audio directions and then switch BT back on audio directions remain on.

TomTom GO has a choice of audio out channels (App settings). I have played around with these without much success and I have also tried using the headphone socket of the phone to connect to the 'line in' of the radio (inside the compartment above the instruments) with limited success.

What I am hoping this post will achieve is a solution where I can have the radio on in the van and receive navigation instructions and even phone calls over the van speakers.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this?

The van is a 2017 model with non DAB radio and no fancy display.

Best Answers

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,394 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @alanrcooke

Welcome to the Community! Thank you for the detailed explanation above and I think this is one of the limitations, have a look at the reply here from szachowa.

Did you get instructions via the Alarm/Ring channel on the GO app?

Best, lampard
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 339
    Staff
    Accepted Answer
    alanrcooke wrote: »
    Not really complex szachowa. My post might be though :-). I always try to provide as much info as possible.

Van has choices of inputs/source. Radio, Line In, BT, Phone. My phone can connect via Line in or BT but using either means no Radio whilst phone is the connection for audio over van audio speakers. So it's either/or. I was wondering if it were possible to have the radio on AND get navigation instructions - seems not for now.

The only way to get radio and voice nav is to use the phone to stream radio via an app with consequent use of data.

Yes, I believe there is no solution at the moment.

We have this improvement reported about missing HFP functionality in our app. I will add your comment to our internal ticket.

Answers

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,394 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @alanrcooke

Welcome to the Community! Thank you for the detailed explanation above and I think this is one of the limitations, have a look at the reply here from szachowa.

Did you get instructions via the Alarm/Ring channel on the GO app?

Best, lampard
  • alanrcookealanrcooke Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited June 22
    Brilliant thanks - I figured as much (the link you sent). What a pity. I have been using TTG for years now and it's my go :-) choice of Nav App. Hopefully, someday this little snag will be overcome. The only time I use Google Drive is for quick unsaved destinations because the voice search is so much better. Will have a play with Alarm/Ring.

Looking forward to full voice interaction with TTG by the way ;-)

Staff
    Maybe we will get tips from other forum users, since @alanrcooke 's setup seems to be quite complex.
  • alanrcookealanrcooke Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited June 22
    Not really complex szachowa. My post might be though :-). I always try to provide as much info as possible.

Van has choices of inputs/source. Radio, Line In, BT, Phone. My phone can connect via Line in or BT but using either means no Radio whilst phone is the connection for audio over van audio speakers. So it's either/or. I was wondering if it were possible to have the radio on AND get navigation instructions - seems not for now.

The only way to get radio and voice nav is to use the phone to stream radio via an app with consequent use of data.
    Staff
    Accepted Answer
    alanrcooke wrote: »

Yes, I believe there is no solution at the moment.

We have this improvement reported about missing HFP functionality in our app. I will add your comment to our internal ticket.