Buying my Tom Tom was the worst decision — TomTom Community

Buying my Tom Tom was the worst decision

I have a new TomTom Via. I followed the enclosed instructions to add it to My Drive Connect, and four 24 hours straight I get a "Connecting your device" notices and a spinning circle. It never completes. There is NO WAY to get customer support. Twenty-five times I've clicked on the contact us button, am sent to the chatbot, tell it the problem get routed to log in. Log in in ANOTHER winder, get routed to the chatbot tell it the problem am told to log in and ... you get the idea.

So right now my Tom Tom is useless, and I have a trip tomorrow. Also my serial code is invisible. I've checked everywhere and there is NO NUMBER on the device itself.

It is obvious to me that Tom Tom has a second-rate product and doesn't want to have to deal with irate customers.

If anyone knows a way to even get to EMAIL customer service, I would love to know about it. I doubt there is any way to make my GPS fully functional.

I hope Tom Tom reads these questions because I want them to know I am a marketing professional who is willing to use my outstanding, award-winning skills to bury their company and its products.

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,621
    Superusers
    edited June 19 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Marjbick
    On the early NAV3 Via Models the serial number, Is hidden under a removable cover....
    The serial number is on a white sticker next to the Micro SDHC Memory card slot....

jkmt3pr0ugad.jpg
    ATB YFM

Answers

Superusers
    edited June 18
    Hi
    @Marjbick
    Welcome to the site....
    Tomtom FAQ... Installing MyDrive Connect
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19, the phone service has been suspended
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    >>> (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours) <<<
    1st... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

This video shows you where to find the serial number of your navigation device.
    Your serial number can be found on a barcode sticker on the outside of your device, and in this video, we show you several locations where you can find this sticker.

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,214
    Superuser
    edited June 18
    Hi @Marjbick

There are no phone lines working because so many are working from home because of Covid.

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then have to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat or Email. If Chat is closed, ie its not normal working hours Mon/Fri, it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Re serial Number firstly do not detail it here as if you have added the unit to your account the Mods here will be able to see it. Secondly turn the unit on and when ready Press the ON Off button until a screen appears with white writing where you will find the serial number.

Does the following help.

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900240-Navigation-device-not-connecting-to-computer-MyDrive-Connect-

Doug
  • MarjbickMarjbick Posts: 7 [New Seeker]
    Doug,

I have done everything you described. Since I cannot finish registration, I'm pretty sure you do not have it. Also when I am logged in, I keep getting a message to log in when I try to use the chatbot or the the email function. If I log in again, it opens a new window and I go back to the beginning and have to try again. Then I am told I am not logged in when I am logged in and I repeat the process. Over TWO DOZEN TIMES.

Please suggest something useful. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.
    Also, I have followed all the instructions in the link you provided and get the same result. with my TomTom plugged into my computer, the device is not recognized and I can't load it. The directions on the page linked above do not have a solution for that problem.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,951
    Superuser
    edited June 18
    @Marjbick

What the just first two characters of the serial number, found as per YamFazMan explanatory video link, as there are a number of VIA models sold in the US, and each have their own foibles ;)
    I would know, if the video actually showed me where my serial number is. But it did not. There are some numbers underneath the piece that sticks the unit to glass, but they are unreadable.

So I am stuck..
    I appreciate the comments left for me, but so far the suggestions are all things I've tried.
    Superuser
    Hi @Marjbick

Have you tried my suggestion to get the serial number?

Doug
    Superusers
    edited June 19 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Marjbick
    On the early NAV3 Via Models the serial number, Is hidden under a removable cover....
    The serial number is on a white sticker next to the Micro SDHC Memory card slot....

jkmt3pr0ugad.jpg
    ATB YFM
    That's probably what I'm seeing but I can't read it.
    Superusers
    edited June 21
    Hi
    @Marjbick
    Marjbick wrote: »
    That's probably what I'm seeing, but I can't read it.
    Magnifying Glass ??? ;)

There are many Tomtom Via Models ???
    What are the 1st 2 characters of the serial number ??? The two letters define the Tomtom Model name....

By the way, the NAV3 Via Models have been out of production for many years I purchased my Via 120 Live on the 12/05/2011 and my NAV3 GO Live 825 on a special promotion offer in 19/06/2013 when Tomtom were selling off the remaining NAV3 devices for the launch of the then new NAV4 devices like the GO 5000

ATB YFM
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,951
    Superuser
    @Marjbick
    Once you find those first two characters here is a list of US VIA devices

"AP">VIA 1400 / 1405, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "AR">VIA 1430 / 1435, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "AW">VIA 1430 / 1435, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "AY">VIA 1410 / 1415, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "BL">VIA 1500 / 1505, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "BM">VIA 1530 / 1535, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "BN">VIA 1530 / 1535, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "BO">VIA 1530 / 1535, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "BQ">VIA 1510 / 1515, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "EI">VIA 62, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV2 EoL
    "EJ">VIA 62, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "EL">VIA 52, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "EM">VIA 52, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "EO">VIA 62, 16GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "EP">VIA 62, 16GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "ER">VIA 52, 16GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "ES">VIA 52, 16GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "ET">VIA 1615 TM, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect / VIA 1625 TM, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "EU">VIA 1620 / 1625 M, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "WM">VIA 1605 / Camper, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3 Eol
    "WN">VIA 1605 / Camper, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect / VIA 1605 / VIA 1605 M RV, 2GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
    "XQ">VIA 1525 TM, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "XR">VIA 1520 / 1525 M, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "XS">VIA 1425 TM, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4
    "XT">VIA 1420 / 1425 M, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV4

Superuser
    Hi @Marjbick

I suggested that when the unit is on that you press the On/Off button until you see a page with white writing, this writing should appear after you have held the button in for about 20/30 seconds then you should release the button. The device ID ( the serial number) is on the second line.. As I said do not list it here, just note it so that you can provide it when and how requested..

Doug