How do I stop being directed to this forum and how can I log out of it?

JimS147
JimS147 Registered Users Posts: 7
New Seeker
I want a list of compatible headsets for a newly purchased Rider 550. The volume is so low as to be useless and there is no source volume control. No matter where I try to get on the TomTom website, it directs me to this forum. I dont want to discuss things on a forum. I just want a satnav that is fit for purpose.

Answers

• JimS147
    New Seeker
    Hi Douglap,

There is a serious issue. If I click on these links you have provided, I just come back to the discussion forum. Ground hog day. I need support, but it seems there is none for TomTom. I bought a new Rider 550 and cant hear the navigation prompts over blue tooth. A lot of money for a device that you cant use. I cant email support, find out a compatible headset list or anything really. The downloaded manual has a link to a list of headsets, but it lands on it for about 2s, then directs me back here. Useless.

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    Hi @JimS147

Okay try the following. Log out of the forum. Then open the main Tomtom website on another Tab and the Tap Support and if then stops at the Help screen type in Headsets and the first option should lead you to the 2 links.

You may have to log into the TT webpage but try hitting Support first

Doug
  • JimS147
    New Seeker
    Back here again. The log out worked. I then go onto the site, which tells me support is provided using email, but I have to log in. When I log in it takes me back here. When logged out I can ask which headsets are compatible. It gives me a list of headsets paired to phones. I NEVER use a phone when riding a bike. I just need to hear instructions from the Rider 550. Why is this so hard?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited June 2021
  • JimS147
    New Seeker
    Hi Douglap,

I have this download already and paired my headphones with A2DP as instructed. They work well, but are too quiet to be heard when the bike is on and moving, even at low speeds in traffic where the wind noise is not a problem. Most blue tooth devices allow the user to increase the source volume to a remote headset. The 550 only provides volume control for the inbuilt speakers, not for the connected headphones. It is therefore pretty useless as a bike navigation device. I have a Motorad Zumo on another bike that I cant get my A2DP headset to stay linked to, but at least it has a jack socket I can plug in wired headphones. This is not available on the TomTom. The rest of its features seem spot on, WiFi, updates etc all worked. The only issues I have is support, which appears to be this forum only, and getting a simple volume control to the headphones without wiring in a phone or a blue tooth amplifier hub. A big money outlay for such a basic shortfall.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @JimS147

I don't have a Rider 550 however I note from comments on here re other units that you adjust the Volume whilst the TT unit is talking which I assume is so that you can adjust it to the required level at the time.

Hopefully someone like @YamFazMan will come on here and try to help you.

Doug
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    MyNameAllreadyExists Registered Users Posts: 130
    Exalted Navigator
    Just for clarification. I was logged out when I first came onto the forum today and the links provided by @DougLap worked. When I logged in the links no longer worked and just as with @JimS147 when I clicked on the links it brought me back to this forum. Cheers.
  • kieron
    kieron Posts: 539
     Superuser
    edited June 2021
    Hi there @JimS147 -

I have my Rider 500 connected to a SENA 5S and I can raise or lower the volume by rotating the jog dial when receiving voice instructions, clockwise or counterclockwise. Volume is set and maintained independently at different levels for each audio source (i.e., phone, intercom), even when the headset is rebooted.
  • JimS147
    New Seeker
    thanks guys. In essence, the only way to control the volume of the blue tooth output from a 550 is to use a headset with its own amplifier. This way you can amplify the channel from the 550 to the chosen level. In other words the Rider 550 does not work without external amplification to control the audio output. If i had known this, I wouldnt have bought it! I also find it poor that the only support is from fellow users. It is impossible to email them or call them.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited June 2021
    Hi @JimS147

There has been no Phone Line support sine the start o the current crisis and so many working from home. There is however Email and Chat available so if you wish to contact them.

Try the following when the website is sorted with the reverting to the forum problem.:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then have to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat or Email. If Chat is closed, ie its not normal working hours Mon/Fri, it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

You could also see if you are the same issue if you open the pages in a Private Window.

Doug

• JimS147
    New Seeker
    Hi Doug,

It is email support I am trying to get. I believe it should allow me to contact via email when I log into the support page. However, when I log in it redirects me to this discussion. Same thing when I click the contact at the bottom of this page. i guess the website is still broken. I am also sceptical of whether I will get a solution to my problem. The only way this could be solved by TomTom is to provide a fix that allows the modulation depth of the source blue tooth audio in the device to be controlled from the device. Otherwise the volume control needs to be provided by an external amplifier on the headset. I tried to see whether i could use the phone as an amplifier, but this doesnt work. Connecting the headset to the phone means you dont get TomTom voice through them.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It seems the website is broken from the login perspective and the blue tooth sound is what it is. I am looking at wireless ear buds with volume control at the moment. They have a wide price range! The issue will be whether they control the volume from 0 to the level output from the device, or whether they automatically gain control their input audio level, then amplify this to the user required level with their own internal amp. The latter is what is needed for a TomTom 550. Try getting that information from product reviews or feature descriptions! If I find a answer that works I'll post it.

Still very dissapointed with TomTom. It should be really easy to adjust the output volume in a simple heaset from the device. All phones and all Garmins do it for both blue tooth and wired headphones.

Jim
  • JimS147
    New Seeker
    Just thought it worth completing this. I can now navigate properly through the website and successfully got a support email to TomTom. It works on both Firefox and Edge, so I am guessing it was a web fault as Doug suggested.

With regards the headset, it does need an external amplifier. I bought a Sena 20S Evo with excellent results. You still cant adjust the volume from the device screen, but the jog dial works to increase the output to audible levels easily. I note also that there is a disabled setting in the laptop configuration SW for the Sena that increases the maximum output even further.

All working now!

Jim