Replacing Battery ? — TomTom Community

Replacing Battery ?

SoloTravellerSoloTraveller Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have a simple model, Go 500. Recently it has been starting and then, very soon afterwards, turning itself off. I removed it from the car and charged it through my computer for 12 hours. It worked perfectly on a 14 mile journey, and then reverted to switching itself off. Is this a sign that the battery needs replacing? If so, any idea of cost involved? Thank you.

Best Answer

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,253
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @SoloTraveller

It is possible the battery is beginning to struggle especially if the unit has not been used for long periods as is happening to many in the current situation.

Just to confirm that when you say the unit is being charged by the Cars battery I assume you mean via the supplied charger and not because you have connected the cable to a USB socket in the car. If you do the latter then eventually the unit will run out of power as a USB socket cannot supply sufficient power to run the unit and maintain a charge level as well.

Try the unit as follows. Connect the unit and when ready don’t bother with creating a route but Tap Menu and then keep an eye on the battery icon too right. Is there a flash sign in it if so it is charging. Over the 14 miles or so disconnect the charger and look to see what charge level is showing in the battery icon. Is it dropping. When the unit does restart try and see what Battery level is showing in the icon.

If you decide you want to replace the battery then look at videos on YouTube re Battery Replacement Tomtom GO500 and if you feel confident enough then do it yourself at your own risk. The batteries are available from EBay or Amazon and the small tool kits advertised are useful as well.

Doug

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,666
    Superusers
    Hi
    @SoloTraveller
    Welcome to the site....
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd parties Mismatched Charger Adapters won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains' charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

ATB YFM
  • SoloTravellerSoloTraveller Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    YamFazMan, many many thanks; from your kind remarks, obviously I didn't supply you with all of the information, for which I apologise I've had this unit for about 4 years and it has worked fairly well up to now. It is only recently that it has been playing up. After it went wrong, I removed it from the car, updated it on the TomTom site and left it on charge until the evening. Then I reinstalled it in the vehicle, went on a 14 mile journey whilst the unit was connected and being charged by the car's battery, All connections used are those supplied by TomTom.
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @SoloTraveller

It is possible the battery is beginning to struggle especially if the unit has not been used for long periods as is happening to many in the current situation.

Just to confirm that when you say the unit is being charged by the Cars battery I assume you mean via the supplied charger and not because you have connected the cable to a USB socket in the car. If you do the latter then eventually the unit will run out of power as a USB socket cannot supply sufficient power to run the unit and maintain a charge level as well.

Try the unit as follows. Connect the unit and when ready don’t bother with creating a route but Tap Menu and then keep an eye on the battery icon too right. Is there a flash sign in it if so it is charging. Over the 14 miles or so disconnect the charger and look to see what charge level is showing in the battery icon. Is it dropping. When the unit does restart try and see what Battery level is showing in the icon.

If you decide you want to replace the battery then look at videos on YouTube re Battery Replacement Tomtom GO500 and if you feel confident enough then do it yourself at your own risk. The batteries are available from EBay or Amazon and the small tool kits advertised are useful as well.

Doug
    Hi DougLap, YamFazMan and all of you kind experts. Many thanks for your suggestions; most helpful. I'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks. God bless. Solo Traveller
  • TimeRoyTimeRoy Posts: 12 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I have a Go 400 with a battery which only operates when connected to the car charge cable via the USB connector. Can this battery be replaced? TomTom service in South Africa is not direct, and thus shipping overseas is very costly, thus I prefer to do my own replacement if possible.
    Secondly my Go 400 seems to recently have a red dot on the top right. Is this a battery failure indicator or some software upgrade needed? Currently all upgrades from My Drive have been done, however the optional speed cameras in South Africa aren't operating any longer, & the option to purchase this doesn't include South Africa.
    I also haven't updated the Western Europe Maps again for many years, as we don't fly overseas.
    Superusers
    edited July 1
    Hi
    @TimeRoy
    TimeRoy wrote: »
    (Snip) Secondly, my Go 400 seems to recently have a red dot on the top right. Is this a battery failure indicator or some software upgrade needed? (Snip)
    Have you accidentally tapped the 'Record Route' option ???
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> 'Record Route'
    To fix the red dot (Stop Recording)...
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> 'Stop Recording'

ataalst1mte1.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi TimeRoy
    My sincere apologies for the delay in replying: I am still trying to get my device charged, via the computer (as it won't work in the car, even using the original cables and connections supplied by TomTom). I'll try to get back to you in the next few days. God bless.
  • mrt_1mrt_1 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Ive tried it with the cable that came with my device, I don"t
    now what else to do ,my be i"ll try it in my charger in the car directly.
    Superuser
    Hi @mrt_1

Try using an Apple or similar Phone mains charger plug which has a socket for an USB cable.

Doug
    Hi TimeRoy
    Well, I've had my device on charge (through my computer) for 8 hours yesterday and 2 hours this morning. It's just the same; it won't boot up! The 'TomTom' logo appears, as does the sound of tomtoms, the 'boot-up' white line at the bottom of the screen starts and gradually gets up to about 7/8th of the way across the screen - and then it switches off! I've tried this several time with the same result. I only changed to TomTom because it was cheaper than getting my old system upgraded but I really regret having done so now; this is my second device in about 4 years!
    Thank you so much for all the help that you, on the Forum, have given me. It is GREATLY appreciated, but I'm giving up now.
    God bless.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @SoloTraveller
    Before you go....

Video... Replacing a GO 500 Battery....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi YamFazMan
    How very kind of you. Replacing the battery looks fairly straightforward, and, if my hands were less shaky I'd have a go but, regrettably, I'm a bit past it now. Thank you so very much for all of your help. God bless.