Turn commands Rider 550 — TomTom Community

Turn commands Rider 550

chickenlegschickenlegs Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
As this is my first Rider GPS experience, I wondered if anyone else finds the turn instructions a bit odd?
I have been used to a Garmin telling me that, "In 200 metres, turn right", (for example), which is perfectly understandable to me and was a good indication that the turn would be in 200 metres from my current location. The TomTom however uses a different phrase, "After 200 metres, turn right" (for example). "After" seems an odd instruction, particularly when the instruction starts too late to represent the actual distance to the turn (sometimes up to 50 metres too late) and is always significantly over the physical distance to the turn.
Am I the only one that finds this odd?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,479
    Superusers
    edited June 11
    Hi
    @chickenlegs
    I do not have a problem with the word 'After' in the direction instructions....
    The 1st instruction tells me after 80yards turn left... Then 'After' I have travelled 80yards the 2nd instruction says turn left....

ATB YFM
  • chickenlegschickenlegs Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Interesting! Your experience is different from mine.
    The first instruction of "After 80 yards turn left" starts at about 75 yards from the turn, (assuming that the distance read-out at that point is accurate), so it can never be "After" the actual turn - in my experience.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,479
    Superusers
    edited June 11
    Hi
    @chickenlegs
    Perhaps you're getting a delay with Bluetooth lag from the Rider 550 to your Headset ???
    One of my Headsets used to clip off about a second from the beginning of the spoken instructions :/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • chickenlegschickenlegs Posts: 13 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well that's very interesting. That might well be the case...and you can travel quite a distance in about a second.
    I will make contact with the headset manufacturer and see if he can tell if this issue is caused by Bluetooth lag. I had no idea Bluetooth lag was a thing.
    On a rare occasion, I have also noticed that the instructions from the 550 are very garbled and distorted. I wondered if this also a Bluetooth connectivity issue.