Android Auto resumes at the main menu — TomTom Community

Android Auto resumes at the main menu

AexodenAexoden Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
Have been using this so far on some short trips in preparation for the longer trips this summer. It's nice to be using TomTom again, and I used to love using my old device and TomTom app before I got a car with Android Auto. For the most part, everything seems to be working correctly, and I look forward to added features in the future (where Google makes it possible) like the route bar. I have noticed a couple of things though:

1) When using one of my turn signals, the car temporarily switches the display to the camera. When done, sometimes the TomTom display doesn't come back, especially if a passenger was using the app on the phone. All I have to do is go back to the home screen and re-enter the app to get it back, so it's not the end of the world, and it doesn't happen every time, either.

2) The gas station search seems to behave mostly like I'd want, though I haven't gone on a long enough drive to truly evaluate it yet. I remember the older TomTom stuff I'd used ages ago would indicate how much of a detour off the route the target would be. (However, the most important information is the total distance, as I'm trying to evaluate if I have enough gas to reach that gas station.)

Anyway, it'd be nice if something similar were available for restaurants (or other arbitrary POI categories). I understand if it's a limitation of the Google library (though if it's merely the 6-item limit, the "drive to work" option is completely useless to me, as I don't commute to work).

Thanks to the team for all the hard work!

This discussion was created from comments split from: GO Navigation app 3.1 - Android Auto!. 26/5

Comments

• szachowaszachowa Posts: 320
    Staff
    Aexoden wrote: »
    Have been using this so far on some short trips in preparation for the longer trips this summer. It's nice to be using TomTom again, and I used to love using my old device and TomTom app before I got a car with Android Auto. For the most part, everything seems to be working correctly, and I look forward to added features in the future (where Google makes it possible) like the route bar. I have noticed a couple of things though:

1) When using one of my turn signals, the car temporarily switches the display to the camera. When done, sometimes the TomTom display doesn't come back, especially if a passenger was using the app on the phone. All I have to do is go back to the home screen and re-enter the app to get it back, so it's not the end of the world, and it doesn't happen every time, either.

Interesting issue, would be nice to get steps that allow us to always reproduce this issue.
    I know that one of our Beta testers reported issue about auto-zoom in the app after the view switched back from reverse camera.
    2) The gas station search seems to behave mostly like I'd want, though I haven't gone on a long enough drive to truly evaluate it yet. I remember the older TomTom stuff I'd used ages ago would indicate how much of a detour off the route the target would be. (However, the most important information is the total distance, as I'm trying to evaluate if I have enough gas to reach that gas station.)

Anyway, it'd be nice if something similar were available for restaurants (or other arbitrary POI categories). I understand if it's a limitation of the Google library (though if it's merely the 6-item limit, the "drive to work" option is completely useless to me, as I don't commute to work).

I will check with the team.
    Thanks to the team for all the hard work!

Thank you for using our app.

Staff
    @Aexoden, I reported GONAV-3306, since our Beta testers complain about similar issue:
  • rabero1985rabero1985 Posts: 97 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    edited May 26
    szachowa wrote: »
    @Aexoden, I reported GONAV-3306, since our Beta testers complain about similar issue:

To come back on this one, sometimes indeed when camera is switched on or go to another screen (music player for example) and go back to TT screen I have a dark Grey background from above (top of screen) of 2 a 3 cm. But when you switch again it is gone. Try to take a picture of it next time.

// (thinking loud) ;
    When you start AA and open the app on your phone you get a screen with some warning to unlock the screen if you're not driving. Very good !
    But when you have unlocked it, there is no way to lock again ? Maybe it's possible to add a button for it, i noticed when you unlocked it, the phone is getting warm and slower, probably because it has to render 2 maps so if you can lock it again, it would be better for phone perfomance i think ?
    Staff
    edited May 26
    rabero1985 wrote: »
    To come back on this one, sometimes indeed when camera is switched on or go to another screen (music player for example) and go back to TT screen I have a dark Grey background from above (top of screen) of 2 a 3 cm. But when you switch again it is gone. Try to take a picture of it next time.

Would be nice to have some pics when this particular issue is happening.
    // (thinking loud) ;
    When you start AA and open the app on your phone you get a screen with some warning to unlock the screen if you're not driving. Very good !
    But when you have unlocked it, there is no way to lock again ? Maybe it's possible to add a button for it, i noticed when you unlocked it, the phone is getting warm and slower, probably because it has to render 2 maps so if you can lock it again, it would be better for phone perfomance i think ?

I'm not sure here, because I don't know technical details, but I think we still render the map on the phone if you see this screen with a padlock.

IMO best solutions here is just to turn off the screen with power button, or swipe the app into background and let the system timeout the screen. You can even close the app on your phone when using it on the head unit.

Would be nice to have some pics when this particular issue is happening.

@szachowa,
    I was able to reproduce it. Just couple of times turn my camera on/off or switch screen does the trick. Tried with app open and closed on phone makes no difference. Also there is no pattern in it, it's random. 1h25fq6skvs3.jpg
    1er6h9sj5p5u.jpg
    pumr65bpkrq3.jpg
    Staff
    @szachowa,
    I was able to reproduce it. Just couple of times turn my camera on/off or switch screen does the trick. Tried with app open and closed on phone makes no difference. Also there is no pattern in it, it's random. 1h25fq6skvs3.jpg
    1er6h9sj5p5u.jpg
    pumr65bpkrq3.jpg

This is first time I see such strange issue.
    To me it looks like something is happening with the renderer. Please note that NIP is displayed OK, only the map which is displayed on the layer below the screen controls receives information about different screen size, which causes this strange bar to be displayed.

Would it be possible to check with other navigation apps on Android Auto head unit? Google and Waze won't do the trick here, since they are not using cap app library for AA.
    I would use AmiGO to recheck this issue. If this is reproducible with AmiGO, I can report it directly to Google by using their issue tracker.
    edited May 26
    @szachowa,
    1er6h9sj5p5u.jpg
    pumr65bpkrq3.jpg

To me it looks like something is happening with the renderer. Please note that NIP is displayed OK, only the map which is displayed on the layer below the screen controls receives information about different screen size, which causes this strange bar to be displayed.

Would it be possible to check with other navigation apps on Android Auto head unit? Google and Waze won't do the trick here, since they are not using cap app library for AA.
    I would use AmiGO to recheck this issue. If this is reproducible with AmiGO, I can report it directly to Google by using their issue tracker.

OK I'll try it with amigo this week and let you know. What I've discovered with a little more trying this evening, it seems to happen much more when a music player or so is started in AA, so maybe the phone performance is also something to do with it... Indeed I see always on startup for a second the grey bar and then it fades away normally...
    Staff
    @szachowa,
    1er6h9sj5p5u.jpg
    pumr65bpkrq3.jpg

OK I'll try it with amigo this week and let you know. What I've discovered with a little more trying this evening, it seems to happen much more when a music player or so is started in AA, so maybe the phone performance is also something to do with it... Indeed I see always on startup for a second the grey bar and then it fades away normally...

Also please make sure to update Android Auto on your phone to latest available version.