Loosing GPS signal on the App, works well on Android Auto — TomTom Community

Loosing GPS signal on the App, works well on Android Auto

Robert1954Robert1954 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
TomTom Go works well with Android Auto, but I've found that you also need to turn on your smartphone, run the app on your phone, and leave your phone's screen on. If I don't, the GPS signal will drop and TomTom (on the screen of the car) will no longer know where you are. Does this also bother others or is that how to use the app with Android Auto?
From other people I have heard that you only have to connect your smartphone to the car (in my case with a cable), choose Android Auto on the car screen and leave the smartphone where it is.

This discussion was created from comments split from: GO Navigation app 3.1 - Android Auto!29/5

Comments

• ckkoenckkoen Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Robert1954 wrote: »
    TomTom Go works well with Android Auto, but I've found that you also need to turn on your smartphone, run the app on your phone, and leave your phone's screen on. If I don't, the GPS signal will drop and TomTom (on the screen of the car) will no longer know where you are. Does this also bother others or is that how to use the app with Android Auto?
    From other people I have heard that you only have to connect your smartphone to the car (in my case with a cable), choose Android Auto on the car screen and leave the smartphone where it is.

You probably just need to disable the battery management for the TomTom Navigation app in your Android settings. The app should run fine on Android Auto without opening it on your phone.
  • Robert1954Robert1954 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    ckkoen wrote: »

You probably just need to disable the battery management for the TomTom Navigation app in your Android settings. The app should run fine on Android Auto without opening it on your phone.

Thanks for your comment ckkoen. I have found some settings in the battery management on my smartphone, which I have adjusted. In the coming days I will try to test if this works.

Thanks for your comment ckkoen. I have found some settings in the battery management on my smartphone, which I have adjusted. In the coming days I will try to test if this works.

Update 2-6-2021:
    Today I adjusted some settings in the battery management of my smartphone.

Android: settings – apps – TomTom Go – battery – allow background activity: yes (was set to no previously).

Android: settings – battery and device maintenance – battery – background usage limits – TomTom Go app set as an app that never sleeps.

Then I tested it in the car.
    I connect the smartphone to the car with a cable (before or after starting the engine makes no difference).
    I choose Android Auto, start the app on the car screen and choose a destination.
    The location indicator on the screen remains gray, so the GPS does not know where I am or whether I am moving when I am driving. So I can't navigate like that.
    When I then start the TomTom Go app on the smartphone, a message appears on the screen that the phone is locked. I have to confirm that I am not driving. I do not do that. I leave the message on the screen. Meanwhile, the location indicator on the car screen is colored blue (instead of gray). The GPS now knows where I am and follows me on the map when I move. So I can navigate. I can also turn off the screen of the smartphone, then the location indicator on the screen remains blue and I can continue to navigate.

To be able to use the TomTom Go app in Android Auto, I have to start the app on the car screen and the phone and then put the phone away (when I use the photo app to take a photo, the location indication on the car screen turns gray again and I can't navigate anymore).
    Is there another setting in the TomTom Go app that I could adjust so that I don't have to use the phone within Android Auto?
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 339
    Staff

Update 2-6-2021:

Android: settings – apps – TomTom Go – battery – allow background activity: yes (was set to no previously).

Android: settings – battery and device maintenance – battery – background usage limits – TomTom Go app set as an app that never sleeps.

I connect the smartphone to the car with a cable (before or after starting the engine makes no difference).
    I choose Android Auto, start the app on the car screen and choose a destination.
    The location indicator on the screen remains gray, so the GPS does not know where I am or whether I am moving when I am driving. So I can't navigate like that.
    When I then start the TomTom Go app on the smartphone, a message appears on the screen that the phone is locked. I have to confirm that I am not driving. I do not do that. I leave the message on the screen. Meanwhile, the location indicator on the car screen is colored blue (instead of gray). The GPS now knows where I am and follows me on the map when I move. So I can navigate. I can also turn off the screen of the smartphone, then the location indicator on the screen remains blue and I can continue to navigate.

To be able to use the TomTom Go app in Android Auto, I have to start the app on the car screen and the phone and then put the phone away (when I use the photo app to take a photo, the location indication on the car screen turns gray again and I can't navigate anymore).
    Is there another setting in the TomTom Go app that I could adjust so that I don't have to use the phone within Android Auto?

Thank you @Robert1954 for this detailed investigation. I will immediately pass your message to the team.
    Could you please provide us following:
    • Phone model
    • Android version
    • Android Auto version
    szachowa wrote: »

Update 2-6-2021:

Thank you @Robert1954 for this detailed investigation. I will immediately pass your message to the team.
    • Phone model
    • Android version
    • Android Auto version

Hi Szachowa, thanks for your prompt reply.
    My answers to your questions:
    Phone model: Samsung Galaxy A40 (2019)
    Android version: 11
    Android Auto version: 6.4.611714-release
  • Corradoc65Corradoc65 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    szachowa wrote: »

Update 2-6-2021:

• Phone model
    • Android version
    • Android Auto version

Hi Szachowa, thanks for your prompt reply.
    My answers to your questions:
    Phone model: Samsung Galaxy A40 (2019)
    Android Auto version: 6.4.611714-release

I have exactly the same behaviour and I set exactly the same settings.
    Phone: XIAOMI CC9 PRO
    Android Auto version: 6.5.111904