Complete loss of functionality of TomTom Go app for Android — TomTom Community

Complete loss of functionality of TomTom Go app for Android

After several years working without issues, something has gone completely wrong with the TomTom Go install on a Sony Xperia.

When I do a Search for an address, the app appears not to find addresses beyond my immediate location. For example, say I'm based in London and looking for a town or facility in Cambridge, the app will report back with plenty of addresses in the London area which include the word "Cambridge" but won't actually give me any information for the town of Cambridge. Similarly, say I want to locate a Park and Ride facility outside the city of Cambridge, then if I enter the name of this Parking, or the PostCode, nothing shows up.

I've tried resetting the app, re-downloading the maps etc, but nothing seems to work. How do I proceed?

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,254
    Superuser
    edited June 6 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Alphaville

What maps have you got downloaded. There are 4 maps required to cover the UK. If I only have UK South downloaded then it cannot find Cambridge etc

Doug
  • AlphavilleAlphaville Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug,

OK I wasn't aware that the UK maps are divided into sectors. I've downloaded them and am glad to say the problem is solved. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

But the thing is I've never had this problem before in over 3 years use either searching for (places in or near) Cambridge or any other town in the "North". In fact I this was one of the reasons I liked Tom Tom Go because it could locate virtually anything anywhere if fed the right search information.

So has something changed in the way that TomTom go works or what maps get installed by default, and if so when did this change come about? As I mentioned earlier, TomTom Go has worked faultlessly for me since subscribing three years ago. The first time I've had any problem with it was on Friday.
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug,

I've taken your advice and downloaded the ferry information to be on the safe side - although we only occasionally travel by car to or within Europe.

I suspect the missing maps issue has only just come to light for me as the journey I made recently is the first time in several years that I've travelled out of the Southern UK region by car. If the NDS maps are a comparatively recent new way of doing things, this may explain why I didn't notice the absence of mapping information earlier.

Answers

Superuser
    Hi @Alphaville

When you open search does it say "Near Me" under where you type in the information instead of Whole Map. If so Tap Near me and change.

Doug
    Hi Tom,

thanks for getting back to me, and if only life were that simple!

I don't have the option to search for places "Near Me", the options I do have are "Whole map", "In town or city", then (greyed out because I haven't chosen a route yet) "Along route" & "Near destination" , then finally "Latitude Longitude".

If I choose "Whole Map" when I enter (say) "Cambridge", I get a list of streets in London and surrounds. If I start to enter the city name in "In Town or City", then I get towns first starting with "Cam" such as Camberley, Camborne, moving on to Camelford, Camberwell, Camden etc etc but no Cambridge! Once I input the full word, the only item left on the list is Cambridge Heath, in London.

Exactly the same thing happens with with "Bradford". Whole Map gives me a set of addresses in or around London, "In Town or City" gives me Bradford-on-Avon (first) then goes on to Bradford (near the Bristol Channel) etc. No mention of Bradford Yorkshire.

Superuser
    edited June 6 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Alphaville

What maps have you got downloaded. There are 4 maps required to cover the UK. If I only have UK South downloaded then it cannot find Cambridge etc

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug,

OK I wasn't aware that the UK maps are divided into sectors. I've downloaded them and am glad to say the problem is solved. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

But the thing is I've never had this problem before in over 3 years use either searching for (places in or near) Cambridge or any other town in the "North". In fact I this was one of the reasons I liked Tom Tom Go because it could locate virtually anything anywhere if fed the right search information.

So has something changed in the way that TomTom go works or what maps get installed by default, and if so when did this change come about? As I mentioned earlier, TomTom Go has worked faultlessly for me since subscribing three years ago. The first time I've had any problem with it was on Friday.
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug,

I've taken your advice and downloaded the ferry information to be on the safe side - although we only occasionally travel by car to or within Europe.

I suspect the missing maps issue has only just come to light for me as the journey I made recently is the first time in several years that I've travelled out of the Southern UK region by car. If the NDS maps are a comparatively recent new way of doing things, this may explain why I didn't notice the absence of mapping information earlier.
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 338
    Staff
    @DougLap , thank you for helping @Alphaville .
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,394 Moderator
    Hi @Alphaville

When you get a chance, please click 'Yes' to mark Doug's comments as an answer so other users can find it useful. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back here or create a new topic.

Regards, lampard
    Thanks Lampard, have done so. Hope Doug's advice will be useful for other occasional TomTom users such as myself.