Lifetime maps but cannot update past v10.30 — TomTom Community

Lifetime maps but cannot update past v10.30

Robbinb1993Robbinb1993 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi,

I am trying to update the map of my TomTom Start 20. However I can only install the map v10.30 from June 2019 which is already outdated. I have Europe - Lifetime Maps (lifetime support). MyDrive Connect tells me my device is up-to-date with the old map. How can I install the latest map?

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,906 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Robbinb1993

Welcome to the community!
    My team has fixed the services for your TomTom, please do a soft reset and check for updates.

Regards, Vikram

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,967
    Superuser
    Hi @Robbinb1993

@VikramK or @lampard should pick the up on Monday and check your units settings on the TT servers. Look back then to see what they say.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,433
    Superusers
    edited June 5
    Hi
    @Robbinb1993
    Welcome to the site
    Further to Doug's post....
    Is your Start 20 a 4GB or 8GB device ???

d50rprkxi6bb.jpg

NAV3 Devices with 4GB On-board Memory... Catch22
    Tomtom devices need at least one Map installed before they will Boot-up...
    The Maps on the NAV3 devices easily fitted onto the 4GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 4GB limit on-board memory size on the NAV3 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The NAV3 Full Europe Map size is now 4.621 GB....

Note... If you already have the Map installed on a Micro SDHC memory card the NAV3 device will update the Map as normal....

When you update using MyDrive Connect, you should be offered a Map Zone.....
    If you mainly travel in the UK and do not need the Full Europe Map... The Europe Zone 1 has the UK&ROI Maps....

If you require the Full Europe Map you will need to install a 8GB or 16GB Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card (32GB is the max size, but it's way over the top for 4GB Maps)

Method... Install a Map Zone.... Zone 9 is the smallest Map Zone....
    I used Zone 1 as it also has the UK&ROI Map...

(1)... With MyDrive Connect running click MY CONTENT menu...
    (2)... In MY MAPS... Click on the required Flag Icon (Europe)...

9wya7oj3tsrn.jpg
    1gmmg7ftpv93.jpg
    Note... You can ONLY use the above menu option....
    'Use a memory card in your device'
    If you have already installed a memory card formatted with the Tomtom propriety format....

b94ya0yjxd8i.jpg
    Follow the on screen menu prompts to select and install the required MAP Zone....

With the Map Zone installed... The device will Boot-up and allow you to Format the Micro SDHC memory card to the Tomtom propriety format, this will allow the installation of Maps
    (3)... Format the Micro SDHC memory card to FAT32 on your PC
    (4)... Insert the Micro SDHC memory card into your NAV3 Device, the device should recognize the card and offer to format the card to the Tomtom propriety format....
    Accept the offer and format the memory card...

(5)... MyDrive Connect screen should now refresh and allow you to install the Full Europe Map onto the Memory Card....
    zan73scl2t8a.jpg
    You May need to switch to the Full Europe Map ???
    From the main menu
    Tap (Settings)
    Right Cursor twice for next page
    Tap (Switch Map)
    Tap (Select the Europe Map)
    Follow onscreen prompts to exit

I suggest you do not uninstall the smaller map as it will also act as a 'Keeper'
    This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a Micro SDHC memory card
    Also, if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Robbinb1993Robbinb1993 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited June 5
    Thank you for the answers.

I believe it is the 8 GB version. I have installed Europe - Zone 5 (v10.30) and after this 3818 MB is still free. I have reinstalled another zone today to see if it installs a newer version but it also installed v10.30.

u6sa5dr1kp5y.png

0qg7ea17x4yc.png

At "My Services" it confirms my Europe - Lifetime Maps support:

yhqkmnt794tw.png

At the top it says my device is up-to-date:

256sndtvwtwy.png

However at the home page it says "Map Subscription expired":

3n225hm0mdel.png

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,906 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Robbinb1993

Welcome to the community!
    My team has fixed the services for your TomTom, please do a soft reset and check for updates.

Regards, Vikram
  • Robbinb1993Robbinb1993 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you Vikram. I have reset the TomTom and I can now update to v10.70. So the problem has been solved.