Go 520 does not update — TomTom Community

Go 520 does not update

AlexRangelovAlexRangelov Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
edited June 4 in MyDrive Connect
My Go 520 would not update. It has lifetime world maps updates, camera, etc.

Serial# ZF4xxxxxxx94

16.402.0083.411 (0) (27.10.2016)

Map: Europe v975.7679 (07/2016)

Space: 5,74 GB internal memory and 32.15 GB sd card

If I initate an update through MyDrive Connect, the app says to update through the device. When attepting the update through the device, a messge saying "Your Go 520 is up to date".

The current Europe update is larger than the internal memory. If I choose to upload to the sd card, MyDrive would not recognise the card and will prompt for byuing options, where the slot is located, etc.

I have a 32GB card card formatted and iserted, that is regognised by the device.

I cannot upload another map, I cannot update software, cant do anything basically.

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,972
    Superuser
    Hi @AlexRangelov

@VikramK or @lampard can check your units settings on the TT servers tomorrow. Look back her to see what they have to say.

If you go to Settings/Maps/Add a map can you see a full list of the maps that should be available to you and can you download any of them.

I would recommend you leave a small map on your device permanently then you can add and delete maps as you require. Any map you download should be the latest version.

It is noticeable that the unit has not been updated since 2016 which could be why no updates are being offered.

Doug
  • AlexRangelovAlexRangelov Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    edited June 3
    I cannot download any maps - At Settings/Maps/Add a map it just shows the available space on the device

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,908 Moderator
    @AlexRangelov
    Hi Alex
    The application on your device has to be updated first. Followed by the maps and speed cameras.

At the moment there are several downloads(Firmware, map, speed cameras) stuck and the pending process.

It would be advised to keep the device connected for the downloads to complete or fail.

If the installation fails then a fresh downloads can be initiated, however it's important that you select one update at a time and let the installation complete.

Regards, Vikram
    @VikramK

Hi there, thanks for the input.

How can I update the frimware/software?

In TomTom Home the only available updates are:

Speed Cam Updated - Europe NOT ACTIVATED
    Charging Station

Therre is also a worrying meggase: * Lifetime is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with either software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its useful life when one or more is no longer available or if no updates have been downloaded to the device for a period of 36 months or more. More information

In My Drive Connect the follwoing updates are available:

Prato
    Map Share Community
    Map (Europe)
    Life Time Speed Camera
    Voice Updates

Attempting update through MyDrive only leads to a message pop-up reading:
    UPDATE DEVICE THE EASY WAY

Latest updates are available directly on your device via USB connection. You can use the computer's internet connection to update your device.

1. Make sure device is connected to your computer and computer has an internet connection.

2. Keep MyDrive Connect open on your computer.

3.Update your PND by tapping Settings>Updates and new items and install all the updates seen on your device.

....and then nothing ever happens

I cannot update the device via its onw menu.

The device recognises the 32GB SD card, but MyDrive does not, and warns that certain maps cannot be uploaded due to lack of space. I cannot upload a new (smaller map, say Venezuela).

Basically nothing can be updated.

So i need to figure out how to update the firmware, if at all possible. Is there an option to download the firmware to a PC and then installing it to the device?

Thanks
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,440
    Superusers
    edited June 4
    Hi

The 'Application update' Vikram refers to is the 'Prato update' this is the devices Operating/System....

The example below is for one of the previous NAV4 devices
    zjo2bg3jm1jl.jpg
    Tomtom force tick Mandatory Updates.... Navcore updates QuickFixGPS etc....
    If an update is force ticked by Tomtom we can't deselect them....

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    As above the NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time....
    This will help to prevent a Log-Jam effect on the Tomtom Servers if something go wrong with one of the updates... The Server then only has to wait for one update file to Time-Out

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,440
    Superusers
    Hi Again
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on Your WI-FI name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi

zzb10t6jrg2v.jpg
    Updating the device....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items

Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices connected over Wi-Fi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if MyDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If you're using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... A new version of MyDrive Connect has been released.....
    See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1130566/a-new-version-of-mydrive-connect-released

When using the latest MyDrive Connect the menu flow has changed....
    Now when using the latest version of MyDrive connect to update a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB, it >> APPEARS << that you can update the device using the MyDrive Connect menu structure... When in fact this is >> NOT << the case....

Clicking on the update button only opens the new MyDrive Connect "Splash screen" saying "UPDATE DEVICE THE EASY WAY" etc...

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices have no access to the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices.....

If you choose to update a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB....
    MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC Taskbar... You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window'

em7rmo28tl38.jpg
    That is displaying "UPDATE DEVICE THE EASY WAY" Splash screen...

a1a9r6jyfdho.jpg
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device... Even if you are updating using USB... The updating method is the same as using Wi-Fi....
    ALL of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items....
    If a Operating System Software update (Navcore) is required... Deselect the remaining updates, install the Navcore update 1st....

The Navcore Software Update is Mandatory you cannot deselect the update....
    lvf6a0pjrt8t.jpg
    Then install the remaining updates....
    I always install the update one at a time....
    There's less chance of a log jam on the Server....
    iofr8x26j4oi.jpg
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi, Thanks for the answer.

These are very clear, but the problem here seems to be that my device has not been updated in 36 months and now it cannot be updated anymore.

Hope @VikramK or @lampard can somehow reset it remotely?

Thanks again.

Alex