Weird roads added out of the blue in latest (NDS?) map

Megalos
Megalos Posts: 6,096
 Superuser
With the latest map release (Map Share Reporter map 2021.06.003), it seems many strange parts of roads are added, that have never been there (for at least the last 20 years or so). See the examples below. Seems some bad regression errors. What happened here? Why are these strange parts of road suddenly introduced?

tq863jy8ukvh.png
g85fpjozjc5n.png
b2jgplshlza9.png

Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,710
    Hi @Megalos
    Strange, sending this one to the team.

- Vikram
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    Thanks Vikram. One more example below:

cma07yzeas6y.png
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    One more example. Did you manage to find out what is going on, @VikramK ?

tg3gveu6hm0l.png
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited June 2021
    Hi
    @Megalos

Do you think it could be the fake roads that Map providers sometimes add to protect the Copyright of their data... So if a competitor produces a Map with the same none existent roads... Then the original Map developer will know the Map data has been stolen ???

Stay Safe,,, ATB YFM
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    Hi @YamFazMan, Mm.. not sure. I think they would occasionally add such a feature indeed, but very sparsely on the map. Now there were too many of these strange roads, even multiple in the same village. And across several towns as well. So I think it's too much for such a 'stamp'. Also, I reported a few and they all got fixed again. So to me seems more like some kind of severe issue in the map data.
  • VikramK
    Hi @Megalos
    Our team reviewed the same coordinates and the routes you show are different that what we see on the MapShare website.
    I have attached the images below-

v6awc6cjnvle.png

cnnlgv07hte9.png

8tondtnulnv0.png

5qdktgq01gsd.png

1cvgveagixne.png

I am not sure about the last one, which exact road is incorrect.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    Hi @VikramK , that's correct. I reported those wrong strangely added streets, and they fixed it already. That's why you don't see them anymore ;). The last example I just reported, so they didn't fix that one yet. The white roads there are the issue, the smooth one is correct, the one with all the 90-degree angles did come out of the blue, and should be removed. I already reported, so I guess they will fix it soon as well. These are just a few examples, but there are probably hundreds/thousands of them. So instead of finding individual cases, I was hoping they could find the structural issue, and fix them all at once :).
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    And here another example. I won't report this one, maybe that helps the team to track back what the structural issue can be.

dx49f1ozmzum.png
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    And another one here:

h922zrl40lkn.png
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    And yet another one:

zr7tfp59lr0b.png
  • VikramK
    Thank you, @Megalos
    I will add these examples...
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    Issue still present. @VikramK, did you manage to get any feedback on this issue? Another new example below:

7fhhvmtxsf17.png
  • VikramK
    Hi @Megalos
    Yes, sorry.
    The team got back, confirming that these are not just visualization, but data issues.
    They found that the locations you mentioned above are also showing in our core database.

Advising that we can report these errors via MapShare :( and the teams will pick them up.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Thanks for the information, @VikramK. But if I can already find so many examples in my own neighborhood, there will be millions of these errors in the entire map. Surely, we can't report those millions of errors manually one by one :). Would the map team be able to trace back what introduced these errors? And then somehow automatically remove those added wrong roads again? If this is not possible, I think there's a big problem, and map quality is severely impacted (since reporting millions of errors manually in the MSR tool really isn't a realistic option).
  • mapfanatic
    mapfanatic Registered Users Posts: 2,351
    Revered Voyager
    Fortunately I have not found anything in my area. B)
  • Megalos
     Superuser
    mapfanatic wrote: »
    Fortunately I have not found anything in my area. B)
    Hopefully it's limited to a very small area indeed. Maybe the map people could confirm whether this is correct or not. Most of these strange roads appeared in a quiet small period of time, so I hope it is traceable what happened.