TomTom GO Discover, Says 40 map updates available though can't find any — TomTom Community

TomTom GO Discover, Says 40 map updates available though can't find any

JonneB365JonneB365 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
edited June 2 in GO Discover & GO Expert
Hi, my discover says 40 map updates available though only have the europe map downloaded and when go into the europe no map updates are available - is there some setting am missing or something else should be doing ?
Have to say whilst discover is quicker the overall product experience is a lot worse (no sim and connection drops the whole time to both bluetooth and personal hotspot despite the phone being connected to car system and being charged). All the other new releases were a step forwards - this feels like a step backwards. the massive next instruction box draws the eye really unhelpfully.

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,902 Moderator
    edited June 2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @JonneB365
    JonneB365 wrote: »
    Hi, my discover says 40 map updates available though only have the europe map downloaded and when go into the europe no map updates are available - is there some setting am missing or something else should be doing ?

When you go into the Main Menu- Settings- Map and Display- Downloaded maps
    On the next screen tap on Europe.

You should see the list of available updates.
    Have to say whilst discover is quicker the overall product experience is a lot worse (no sim and connection drops the whole time to both bluetooth and personal hotspot despite the phone being connected to car system and being charged).

Which phone model and OS version are you using here?

Regards, Vikram

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,902 Moderator
    edited June 2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @JonneB365

When you go into the Main Menu- Settings- Map and Display- Downloaded maps
    On the next screen tap on Europe.

You should see the list of available updates.
    Have to say whilst discover is quicker the overall product experience is a lot worse (no sim and connection drops the whole time to both bluetooth and personal hotspot despite the phone being connected to car system and being charged).

Which phone model and OS version are you using here?

Regards, Vikram
  • JonneB365JonneB365 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thanks Vikram, really appreciate the help.

1. i follow the procedure you outline and it works when my tomtom isn't connected to the computer using usb lead. so thanks for that.
    2. iphone 11 with latest os 14.6 (to be fair updated to 14.6 just now)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,967
    Superuser
    Hi @JonneB365

If you connect your device to a PC you get a Splash screen saying do it the easy way. When you see that screen you have in effect connected the Device to the Internet via the PC. To then download updates etc you use the menu system on the Device to manage the operation. There are no facilities within My Drive Connect to use the PC the manage the updates as there are no menu options on the PC to facilitate that.

The easiest way is to do all your updating or loading of maps using the Device alone when it is connected to the Wifi.

Doug
  • bigbig Posts: 1,641
    Superuser
    @DougLap Pretty sure you implied this, but to be clear, I believe you MUST be connected to Wifi to update maps on Discover. As @JonneB365 noticed, maps will not update if connected via USB lead (though the Discover, most unhelpfully, will tell you updates are available).