Start 52 will not update with new MacBook Air with the M1 Chip. — TomTom Community

Start 52 will not update with new MacBook Air with the M1 Chip.

TomBombTomBomb Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
Start 52 will not update with new MacBook Air with the M1 Chip. My Drive Connect asks me to ¨connect device¨ even when connected. I've followed all the advice on Tomtom website to reset device, update My Drive Connect software, restart Mac etc. Nothing works. The device will update with my (very) old Macbook pro but this is not a practical solution. Please help...

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 761 [Revered Pioneer]
    edited June 3
    can be compatibility issue
    write to customer care to confirm
  • TomBombTomBomb Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    How do I contact customer service?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,967
    Superuser
    Hi @TomBomb

There are no phone lines working because so many are working from home because of Covid.

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat or Email. If Chat is closed, ie its not normal working hours Mon/Fri, it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
  • RockyStockyRockyStocky Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    DougLap, Thanks for your answer. I have exactly the same problem as TomBomb; it seems that, as it stands, the Start50 series will not connect to the new M1 MacBooks. The reason we can't connect is that these laptops only have USB type C connections. As the cable from the Start50 unit terminates in a USB type A connection, this will not fit directly into the MacBook.Even when fitting a USB A to C adaptor, the unit will NOT connect to the MacBook. I had an online 'Chat' with a rep who could only suggest to try the Start50 on either an older MacBook with USB type A connections or use a Windows PC. Both these suggestions are useless to me and, effectively, mean that my Start50 device is now redundant as it cannot receive updates. This is simply not good enough and Tom Tom should not only be aware of this issue but should also be making efforts to rectify this.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,967
    Superuser
    Hi @RockyStocky

I also have a MacBook, not an M1 version, which does not have USB sockets. I use an USB/C adapter and my units do connect if required. Maybe the issue relates to the newer units.

Doug
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 758
    Superuser
    I guess MyDrive Connect isn’t yet native for M1 Macs and is running through Rosetta (CPU emulation) and that may brake some things like drivers…

You may check it very easy:
    https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/tell-apps-optimized-for-m1-apple-silicon-macs/
  • TomBombTomBomb Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you for the very useful reply. I checked MyDrive Connect is listed as ¨ïntel¨. So basically, the app has not been updated to run on M1 Macs, correct?

I still have no contact from Tomtom.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 758
    Superuser
    Correct. They’ll fix that eventually and I hope other Big Sur issues… (MyDrive Connect is also unusable on my Intel Mac. I had to use the Windows version in a virtual machine which is not an option yet on Apple Silicon Macs). In general they are very slow in development to follow Apple’s rhythm…