Rider 400/410 Battery is always empty. Why? — TomTom Community

Rider 400/410 Battery is always empty. Why?

castorb141castorb141 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited May 27 in RIDER
Battery is always empty. Why?

Best Answers

• castorb141castorb141 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Mister FazMan

1. The rider works very well when connected to the Car Mount via the UBS port.
    2. However, the problem seems to be related to the bike mount.
    It is connected to a 5V supply port which seems to be o.k. as I measure the 5.1 V between port and bike mount.
    3. I have to check the cables, too (I forgot that connection) - ev. they are corrupt(?)
    4. I ordered a additional bike port and will check if this one does work.

I'll keep you informed

Regards from a XJRMan
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,666
    Superusers
    edited May 27 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @castorb141
    The Rider 4xx/5xx mount >> MUST << be connected to a 12v supply there is a power adapter built into the Mount to drop the bikes 12v down to the required 5v....

See this test for a user who wanted to use the 6v supply on a vintage bike....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1666149/#Comment_1666149

See... Tomtom User Guide... Installing the Rider 4xx.5xx Mount....
    Here... https://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#Mountingonamotorcycle.htm
    Quote from the above link.......
    Important: The red POS (+) contact needs to be connected to the motorcycle's wiring loom at a point between the ignition and the +12V battery supply. The black NEG (-) wire needs to be connected to the motorcycle's wiring loom at a point between the ignition and the -(GND) battery supply. Attach to a 12V point that can be switched off by the ignition such as the light circuit.

End Quote...

ATB YFM

Answers

Superusers
    edited May 27
    Hi
    @castorb141
    Have you connected the Rider 4xx & 5xx Mount to a 12volt supply ???
    The Rider 4xx & 5xx Car Mount connects to a 5volt supply....
    In the past someone was connecting the Rider Mount the to a 5volt USB port....

Have you checked the ground/earthing point of the Rider 400 Mount for a high resistance joint ??? A high resistance ground/earthing point can give the same symptoms....
    A User on the Rider Forum had used a ground/earthing point on the front forks of the motorcycle and the resistance/poor connection through the headstock bearing was causing the low charging rate....
    When the user ran the ground/earth wire directly back to the battery it fixed the problem....

On the NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) Car device the battery use is up to 1hour... Tomtom recommend charging the device for 2 Hours

On the NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) Rider 4xx & 5xx the battery life is up to 6 Hours, It will take quite a while to fully charge the latest Rider devices....
    I use a USB Charge Doctor to monitor the Charging of My devices... When the device is fully charged the Charge Doctor will display 0.00 Amps

beo4kxdgvis7.jpg
    Just wondering if people are fully charging their devices....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Mister FazMan

1. The rider works very well when connected to the Car Mount via the UBS port.
    2. However, the problem seems to be related to the bike mount.
    It is connected to a 5V supply port which seems to be o.k. as I measure the 5.1 V between port and bike mount.
    3. I have to check the cables, too (I forgot that connection) - ev. they are corrupt(?)
    4. I ordered a additional bike port and will check if this one does work.

I'll keep you informed

Regards from a XJRMan
    Superusers
    edited May 27 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @castorb141
    The Rider 4xx/5xx mount >> MUST << be connected to a 12v supply there is a power adapter built into the Mount to drop the bikes 12v down to the required 5v....

See this test for a user who wanted to use the 6v supply on a vintage bike....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1666149/#Comment_1666149

See... Tomtom User Guide... Installing the Rider 4xx.5xx Mount....
    Here... https://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#Mountingonamotorcycle.htm
    Quote from the above link.......
    Important: The red POS (+) contact needs to be connected to the motorcycle's wiring loom at a point between the ignition and the +12V battery supply. The black NEG (-) wire needs to be connected to the motorcycle's wiring loom at a point between the ignition and the -(GND) battery supply. Attach to a 12V point that can be switched off by the ignition such as the light circuit.

End Quote...

ATB YFM
    o.k. I see my error. On the backside of the docking mount is mentioned "Input 12V / Output 5V 2.4 A - I will connect the docking mount directly to the battery; may be with an on/off switch between the two.

Thanks for the inputs