Route bar and ETA panel on Android Auto — TomTom Community

Route bar and ETA panel on Android Auto

GV_456GV_456 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
At last! I had been waiting for this for a long time. =) Nice Work!
Just received the update. Works great.
The only thing I miss is the sidebar in android Auto. And this is for me one of the reasons for using a paid Tomtom version instead of a free app.
I hope that in a future version the sidebar will be visible in AA.

Mod edit:This discussion was created from comments split from: GO Navigation app 3.1 - Android Auto!18/5.

Comments

• GrzesBGrzesB Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Great news, but without the side bar there is no real benefit coming from TomTom. The same experience I can get with free Waze.
    Please work to implement the side bar to give me the reason to keep spending money on TomTom.
  • dxgdxg Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I agree with the comments about the sidebar. Sadly, the AA interface seems to be a shuffling around of a few elements of the phone interface.

Could we at least have the larger speed readout and warnings as per AmiGo (for all of it's problems)? Those are far better for noticing things out the corner of your eye.

Those, plus the TomTom voice and offline maps would be great. Add the sidebar in and it would be fantastic!
  • EldewyEldewy Posts: 30 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    irina-shk wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback! We are working on route bar (side bar) right now. Hopefully next release will include it.

Best news ever!

Should those, who were part of the closed beta still use the parallel app "TomTom Navigation" or switch to release version "TomTom Go"?

If the closed beta app will be kept up-to-date, I wouldn't personally mind staying as guinea pig to help with further development.
  • Giuseppe68Giuseppe68 Posts: 75 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    edited May 20
    or will there be a sidebar for AA ?? Iwanted to know if the color of the tentina age will be changed according to the intensity of the traffic, green, yellow, red
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 338
    Staff
    Giuseppe68 wrote: »
    or will there be a sidebar for AA ?? Iwanted to know if the color of the tentina age will be changed according to the intensity of the traffic, green, yellow, red

Yes, we are aware that route bar is missing functionality on Android Auto head unit. We have in plans to solve this problem in the future, but at the moment I can't provide concrete date.
    tentina age will be changed according to the intensity of the traffic
    What's tentina age?
    edited May 20
    szachowa wrote: »

Yes, we are aware that route bar is missing functionality on Android Auto head unit. We have in plans to solve this problem in the future, but at the moment I can't provide concrete date.
    What's tentina age?

the part at the bottom left , black color with white lettering it is you do not understand the intensity of traffic.

the traffic is not signaled immediately as soon as a route is set, but after a while you are navigating, the color change would be useful to know what kind of intensity there is on the route.

the colors free green, not very intense yellow, intense red
    Staff

What's tentina age?

the part at the bottom left , black color with white lettering it is you do not understand the intensity of traffic.

the traffic is not signaled immediately as soon as a route is set, but after a while you are navigating, the color change would be useful to know what kind of intensity there is on the route.

Yes, we also have it on our todo list.
    Thanks, now it is clear.

We are very thankful for all the feedback that we get. We collect all ideas and we will prioritize our future work based on that.
    Staff

What's tentina age?

Thanks, now it is clear.

We are very thankful for all the feedback that we get. We collect all ideas and we will prioritize our future work based on that.

I finally managed to find it, we even reported this limitation of ETA panel to Google: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/183952597
    edited May 20
    7uc0eq28duut.jpg

What's tentina age?

Thanks, now it is clear.

I finally managed to find it, we even reported this limitation of ETA panel to Google: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/183952597

ok, but I can tell you that I am a beta tester sygic and they have applied it, only with the coloring .. if you want I can send photos ..
    also in the official app downloadable from the playstore
    Staff
    7uc0eq28duut.jpg

What's tentina age?

Thanks, now it is clear.

ok, but I can tell you that I am a beta tester sygic and they have applied it, only with the coloring .. if you want I can send photos ..

Yes, we know about it, we will investigate it.
    Improvement has been reported based on the feedback that we received.
    7uc0eq28duut.jpg

What's tentina age?

Thanks, now it is clear.

do you mean that in the next update there will be part of this function?
    Staff
    7uc0eq28duut.jpg

What's tentina age?

Thanks, now it is clear.

do you mean that in the next update there will be part of this function?

There are many factors that may decide upon availability of features and bugfixes included in upcoming releases. I don't want to provide any promises, that's why I intentionally refuse to answer this question directly, to avoid any confusion.
  • Hobbit1959Hobbit1959 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thanks for the feedback! We are working on route bar (side bar) right now. Hopefully next release will include it.

Great!! The route bar is what makes the difference between TomTom and all the other apps.
  • MUPMUP Posts: 255 [Supreme Pioneer]
    The current AA-API is not supporting overlay windows for any type of extra notifications at the secondary screen (the car's one) in addition to the navigation map.
    Would be a big surprise if Google will open that door for TT.
    But hope is the last to die.

@irina-shk
    Would you please give us an update according the situation?
    Many thanks.
  • irina-shkirina-shk Posts: 20
    Staff
    @MUP unfortunately no update yet. Google is not giving us much options, we are doing our best to create a workaround solution as an alternative to route bar.
  • lluiscnlluiscn Posts: 35 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hobbit1959 wrote: »
    @MUP unfortunately no update yet. Google is not giving us much options, we are doing our best to create a workaround solution as an alternative to route bar.

If you don't get a solution, just call me and I'll write something using the good old cobol, hahaha

I can help you :)
    Staff
    Hobbit1959 wrote: »

If you don't get a solution, just call me and I'll write something using the good old cobol, hahaha

Hi @Hobbit1959 , big respect here, I heard that whole banking infrastructure still works on cobol and old mainframes. I even read somewhere, that they were adding some front end layer in JAVA to old cobol solution, and cobol wasn't there the bottle neck when it came to performance :)
  • avdweijavdweij Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    TomTom Go runs smoothly on my Android Auto (VW).
    I miss the average speeds track. This is shown in Amigo.

Another thing that I really miss is the side bar, but I understand that's due Google's limitations.
    Staff
    avdweij wrote: »
    TomTom Go runs smoothly on my Android Auto (VW).
    I miss the average speeds track. This is shown in Amigo.

Another thing that I really miss is the side bar, but I understand that's due Google's limitations.

Yes, we are trying to come up with some solution to address this limitation.
  • WaJoWiWaJoWi Posts: 17 [Master Explorer]
    edited June 23
    I have already posted this in the German forum, but there is more going on here. I hope that's OK.

I am a new test user for TomTom Go now that it is available for Android Auto. Had previously tested Google Maps, Waze, Sygic and AmiGo. Fortunately, it's been possible to use third-party navigation on AA for a few months now. And I am willing to pay for some additional functions. In principle, a combination of Maps and Waze would be sufficient for me. But I expected a lot from TomTom Go. But unfortunately, after a few days of testing, I am rather disappointed. :/

As already mentioned, some interesting additional functions such as the sidebar are not supported. The route creation is insufficient. You can't even zoom or move the map! In addition, Go always restarts abruptly and is then back in 2D mode. And often there is no GPS fix where other programs have no problem (I have deactivated the battery optimisation for Go).

In summary, TomTom Go is currently not worth the money. The free AmiGo is more stable and offers practically the same options (except for offline navigation). I would be happy if things improved in the next three weeks of my test period, but I certainly don't want to sign up for a subscription for an early beta version like Go seems to be...

This comment was moved from: GO Navigation app 3.1 - Android Auto!.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,427
    Community Manager
    As mentioned in another thread here on the forum, the route bar we're actively looking into. But it's not an easy one because both, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto miss a suitable template.
  • WaJoWiWaJoWi Posts: 17 [Master Explorer]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    As mentioned in another thread here on the forum

Yes, I have already read that. But basic things should at least work. By this I mean zooming or moving the map, route creation and favourites, GPS fix, stable function (not permanent restarts), etc.

The alternative operation on the smartphone is out of the question for me. It has to work with Android Auto, otherwise the app is of no interest to me (and many others, I'm sure). When can we expect that at least the problems mentioned above will be solved?

• DunkelmannDunkelmann Posts: 25 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited June 23
    Here is a major design flaw that leaves TTAA useless in a certain circumstance.

I planned a route with a stop to force TT to go a particular way. When I neared the stop I realised it was in the wrong place due to a misplaced fat finger. It was impossible for me to halt the car and correct the situation on my phone. So until I could halt I had to turn down TT and ignore its protestations to follow its route back to the stop. I had no guidance to my destination.

This is an alpha release and should not have been put out to everyone.

This comment was moved from: GO Navigation app 3.1 - Android Auto!.