Extremely slow map update process (3.1.0) — TomTom Community

Extremely slow map update process (3.1.0)

dezmodezmo Posts: 45 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
Since a version 2.xx and now with the latest 3.1.0 (4036) version I find the map update process unexpectedly slow.

Today there was a map update sown 5.3MB. (5 point 3 Megabyte) I started my stopwatch together with the update process. Then I stopped a stopwatch at the end of the update process.

02:59 (approx. 3 minutes)

I do have 184/40Mbps stable internet connection. I never ever get slow speed in any other application. I have measured with speediest before and after the map update, I can tell you it was the same ~180/~40 all the time.

Normally downloading 5.3MB takes less than a second.

The test (both TT update and speediest) done on my Galaxy Tab S5e. This device have Android 11 (T725XXU2DUCA), updated a day ago or so. No sd-card. All maps are in an internal storage which is half full (cca 32GB free out of 64GB) . There are approx. 4GB of TT maps installed.

Wait this is not the end. I do have a Galaxy Note10+ too, with a similar conditions. Faster than my tablet.
I did not measured that precisely yesterday, but similar amount of - say ~10MB - update of maps, were taken about 1-2 minutes. Sure it is 2 times faster, but still absolutely beyond of the reasonable expectation.

Okay, I will not expect 1 seconds for the update, but sure it should be less than 10 seconds.

Unfortunately, the weekly map updates always remind me to this weakness. Honestly I try to avoid the weekly updates, because those create more problem than benefit.

Can anyone explain why this has to be so slow? Could this be accelerated?

There was not such an issues with a 1.8x versions. The maps were downloaded-updated in reasonable time.

Comments

• paba2paba2 Posts: 41
    Staff
    edited May 20
    I cannot say I am able to reproduce I've just made update 3,4MB for whole country and 0.1MB for some sub region all together took below 10 seconds. Like 1s to download each and rest time was spent applying patches.

Could you elaborate what takes so long in your case? Is it download part (filling blue circle) or applying changes?
  • dezmodezmo Posts: 45 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited May 20
    Hi @paba2

Thanks for quick response. :)
    The today case, with a tablet the downloads (filling blue circle) taken a little less than 2 minutes then 40-50 sec for blinking blue circle, then 10-20sec for the map-pencil animation.
    There was a similar proportions with Note10+ yesterday. But sure that was faster.

I will try to measure next time with my Note10+ and maybe bigger size of updates and will report it here.
    But for sure I have this problems with both devices since 1 year or so, when the New Disaster Sets are introduced ... :'(:anguished:

BTW.
    I'm beyond the usual troubleshooting. Delete reinstall, clear data, cache etc.
  • RGM71RGM71 Posts: 379 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Since the Android Auto update (3.0) I have exactly the same issue on my device (Galaxy-A71 with Android 11).
    My WiFi connection has a 100kbs download speed as a maximum and before the AA-update, maps downloading always went with a speed of 10-11 MBs (average). But now it has become incredibly slow. Yesterday, downloading a mapupdate of 55 MB took more than 5 minutes, so I'm afraid what will happen when a big update arrives. Once downloaded, applying changes goes as fast as before.
    Maps are installed on internal memory.
  • RGM71RGM71 Posts: 379 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Just added a new map which I had not downloaded before. Strangely enough, downloading the new map went as fast as before.
    So on my device it looks just like there's just an issue with downloading updates for maps that are already downloaded earlier.
    edited May 25
    Hi @paba2 ,

Today 42 maps of 431MB download tested. (Samsung Galaxy Note 10+)
    Considering my usual download speed (~20MB/s), and to be easy to calculate lets use 10MB/s as expected speed. Therefore to download the update should happen below 44 seconds. Let say, if I get the update by around 1 minute, I would be happy...
    BUT
    Instead, I got this:
    at 9 min 10 sec end downloading
    at 9 min 26 sec update finished
    at 9 min 33 sec annoying animation done
    Here is the record.
    uezvc0fdluad.gif

The "boring" part is cut out, the full version (mp4 format packed) is included.
    In the upper left corner is a download speed meter. It is rare to see some MB/s going . Rather, a few hundred KB/s is typical.
    Why? !!!

Ps: I can confirm, downloading a new map of 100MB, come down quickly as expected.

Ps2: On my Galaxy Tab S5e there was only 25MB of update and it has been taken around 3 minutes to update :'(
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 320
    Staff
    Hi @dezmo ,

I think I have seen similar complaints from iOS users.
    Let me check with the iOS team. I believe that this may happen, since our 15464 map is quite old, and when updating the region, it has to iterate through all previous version to perform some checks. I don't want to provide misleading info, so I will just check with responsible people.
    Staff
    Hi @dezmo , I was wrong, iOS reported different issue, about onboarding flow.
    I'm checking further...
    Staff
    Hi @dezmo , behavior that you observe is caused by the fact, that you try to update multiple regions at once.

We have made design decision, to fetch and install regions one by one, to better handle situations, when user is running our of a free storage, to avoid hard to recover errors.

We also made the decision to put more time on install, than on fetch, to avoid excessive data usage. Because of that, when you download some region, it will take some time to update it, since there are more IO operations needed. In other words, to avoid downloading too much, we decided to spend more time processing the update than downloading it.

To summarize, it may happen that the install process will take a while, but it is hard for me to say if there is anything that can be done to improve it.
    Thanks a lot for answer @szachowa !
    szachowa wrote: »
    .. is caused by the fact, that you try to update multiple regions at once...

Me? No. It was offered by TT :) I just pushed the button! =)

Should I then not use multiple regions and stop on a borders to delete this one and download new?

I hope you will find a better solution! :3
  • paba2paba2 Posts: 41
    Staff
    edited May 26
    To expand further on szachowa's comment, and since I was not correct first time:

Regions updates consists of 3 stages download/install/applying changes.
    Only last stage is disruptive from user perspective. While reported slowness is about second stage. User doesn't have to stay on map management screen and can use app freely during 1-2 stage. Since stage 3 impacts planned route it is only applied when user is in map management screen.

Weekly updates are optimized for mobile use cases, like downloading over mobile network. That's why it was optimized for size.

In future we think about updating maps in background when user is not using app so that would make this issue obsolete.

edited May 26
    So if I understand correctly: TT decided that instead of downloading the whole map - because there is a lot of data from it - it would be enough to just download the changes. Fair enough! I like it. =)
    But:
    Even at the cost of taking changes 10x more time than downloading the whole.
    User time is cheaper (for them) than data bandwidth.
    I do not like it! :)
    edited May 26
    paba2 wrote: »

Weekly updates are optimized for mobile use cases, like downloading over mobile network. That's why it was optimized for size.

In future we think about updating maps in background when user is not using app so that would make this issue obsolete.

Normally I do not update via mobile network.
    But if you willing to allow to update in a background (even TT is not running?), then it will be good if we can choose to allow it on non metered connection only... :)
    Just a short update:
    In the latest version - 3.1.75 (4111) - the map update procedure is still as slow as in the previous version.
    :'(
    Staff
    New map that we plan to release very soon should reduce time needed to perform map updates.