Change language — TomTom Community

Change language

ckkoenckkoen Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hi, I like to keep my Android device in English, but this doesn't mean I necessarily also want the TomTom app & voice in English.. I would like to be able to chose the language in the app itself (or at least the language for the voice instructions). For me that would be Dutch.
Now, because the app takes the same language as my phone, it's in English. However, I've got a Dutch voice installed, and everytime I open the app, TomTom now warns me that it's not compatible and no voice instructions are given during my commutes. So I don't necessarily need an option to change the app language, if I can just choose the voice language that I want.

This is a very basic function which even free apps have.

Thanks, Koen Christiaens!

Best Answer

• szachowaszachowa Posts: 320
    Staff
    Accepted Answer
    ckkoen wrote: »
    Awesome! So I'll be able to use the Dutch computer voice then while my phone is in English?

No, we didn't say that.

Recent changes that we made to implement Android Auto has enabled us some possibility to decouple computer voice language from Android language. This is only assumption that we have to first test.

Soon we will have possibility to investigate the topic further, during some internal event for developers.

Answers

• irina-shkirina-shk Posts: 20
    Staff
    Hi @ckkoen , unfortunately it's not possible to change the language inside the app.
    Dutch system voice won't work when the phone locale is set to any other language, but you can use recorded voices instead, they work independently. We have 2 Dutch recorded voices: Bram and Eva.

Best regards,
    Irina
  • EndorphinityEndorphinity Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited May 19
    Displaying local maps in their native language is helpful when traveling abroad. This way, the map language and the app language can be set apart, like this is done in many other navigation apps. It doesn't make any sense to provide only street names in Latin for maps, for example, in Eastern Europe which uses mainly Cyrillic. Even for a foreigner who travels abroad, seeing toponyms on a map as they are used locally is much more helpful than constantly transcribing them mentally.

In other words, there is no obvious reason to force the user switch the language in Android settings just to see that maps are still non-localized. Here is the screenshot of the app with the Android language set to Ukrainian, however, map itself is still displayed with Latin transcriptions of local names. x81h219e75pv.jpeg

At the same time, TomTom maps which are used in my car head unit are always using the same language as the one used in the system. Why TomTom Go doesn't respect the user settings in this regard?

Set aside, providing a navigation app for certain market (Ukrainian, in my case) which is not localized properly with no trial version looks just like a scam (to learn that the map is Latin-only and there are no Ukrainian voices available for download I was forced into buying a sub).
  • ckkoenckkoen Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    irina-shk wrote: »
    Hi @ckkoen , unfortunately it's not possible to change the language inside the app.
    Dutch system voice won't work when the phone locale is set to any other language, but you can use recorded voices instead, they work independently. We have 2 Dutch recorded voices: Bram and Eva.

Best regards,
    Irina

Hi,

Well the problem is that those recorded voices don't say the street names, that's why I've always used the computer voices. Can't you just add a language selection in the app itself, so that it's not depended of the system language anymore? It seems like an easy option to add, as all the languages are already in the TomTom app :) you would help out a paying customer!

Regards, Koen Christiaens.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,186 [Revered Voyager]
    edited May 20
    Can't you just add a language selection in the app itself, so that it's not depended of the system language anymore? It seems like an easy option to add, as all the languages are already in the TomTom app :) you would help out a paying customer!
    I suspect you will need to ask Google to change Android to support multiple simultaneous TTS engines because your assumption that the languages are "already in the TomTom app" is not correct.

tgold wrote: »
    Can't you just add a language selection in the app itself, so that it's not depended of the system language anymore? It seems like an easy option to add, as all the languages are already in the TomTom app :) you would help out a paying customer!
    I suspect you will need to ask Google to change Android to support multiple simultaneous TTS engines because your assumption that the languages are "already in the TomTom app" is not correct.

Hi, well good news, this is actually already possible 😉 On my phone I can have the display language set to English and when I go into the Voice TTS settings I can choose the Dutch engine independently of the display language! But the TomTom app doesn't respect this choice, it only looks to the display language.
    I don't really want multiple simultaneous engines, I just want TomTom to respect the one I chose instead of only basing their speech of off my display language. And plus it would still be very handy to also be able to put the TomTom app display language to Dutch, independently of my general system language.
    Staff
    edited May 21
    Displaying local maps in their native language is helpful when traveling abroad. This way, the map language and the app language can be set apart, like this is done in many other navigation apps. It doesn't make any sense to provide only street names in Latin for maps, for example, in Eastern Europe which uses mainly Cyrillic. Even for a foreigner who travels abroad, seeing toponyms on a map as they are used locally is much more helpful than constantly transcribing them mentally.

In other words, there is no obvious reason to force the user switch the language in Android settings just to see that maps are still non-localized. Here is the screenshot of the app with the Android language set to Ukrainian, however, map itself is still displayed with Latin transcriptions of local names. x81h219e75pv.jpeg

At the same time, TomTom maps which are used in my car head unit are always using the same language as the one used in the system. Why TomTom Go doesn't respect the user settings in this regard?

Set aside, providing a navigation app for certain market (Ukrainian, in my case) which is not localized properly with no trial version looks just like a scam (to learn that the map is Latin-only and there are no Ukrainian voices available for download I was forced into buying a sub).

Hello @Endorphinity , unfortunately Ukrainian is not supported in our app yet. As an alternative you can use Russian (it's not the best option, I know, but at least you'll see place names in Cyrillic).

We currently support the following languages: Afrikaans, Bulgarian, Spanish (Catalan), Czech, Danish, German, Greek, English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Mexico), Estonian, Finnish, French (Canada), French (France), Croatian, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovakian, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish.

Best regards,
    Irina
    Staff
    tgold wrote: »

Hi, well good news, this is actually already possible 😉 On my phone I can have the display language set to English and when I go into the Voice TTS settings I can choose the Dutch engine independently of the display language! But the TomTom app doesn't respect this choice, it only looks to the display language.
    I don't really want multiple simultaneous engines, I just want TomTom to respect the one I chose instead of only basing their speech of off my display language. And plus it would still be very handy to also be able to put the TomTom app display language to Dutch, independently of my general system language.

@paba2 is there anything we can do about it?
    Any info on this?
  • EndorphinityEndorphinity Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    irina-shk wrote: »

Hello @Endorphinity , unfortunately Ukrainian is not supported in our app yet. As an alternative you can use Russian (it's not the best option, I know, but at least you'll see place names in Cyrillic).

We currently support the following languages: Afrikaans, Bulgarian, Spanish (Catalan), Czech, Danish, German, Greek, English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Mexico), Estonian, Finnish, French (Canada), French (France), Croatian, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovakian, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish.

Best regards,
    Irina

I guess app's senior product manager who can decide on that simply needs to listen to user voice. Just allow setting maps language and voices separately of application locale which follows operating system, and you'll get much more happy users than you do now.
    Staff
    @Endorphinity we discussed it with devs and it should be possible technially. We'll work on it in the nearest future:)
    Awesome! So I'll be able to use the Dutch computer voice then while my phone is in English?
  • szachowaszachowa Posts: 320
    Staff
    Accepted Answer

No, we didn't say that.

Recent changes that we made to implement Android Auto has enabled us some possibility to decouple computer voice language from Android language. This is only assumption that we have to first test.

Soon we will have possibility to investigate the topic further, during some internal event for developers.