Issues with GO Navigation App

eddydc
eddydc Registered Users Posts: 298
Exalted Navigator
There are also some long lasting bugs which aren't fixed. These has been reported multiple times, but apart from the standard copy/paste answers - from people only caring to have issues closed with whatever answer- nothing seems to happen in order to get things fixed.
The issues are:
- illegal instructions on a roundabout to turn left or go straight, whereas the road code in Belgium clearly says that one needs to go on roundabout on the right hand side.
- The zoom level of the complete route remains when one actually starts the route. This is zoomed out too much without any details which is not practical if one directly needs to go in a street
- If the distance to the next instruction is exactly 1km, it shows 1,0 km.

These are quick wins to get things like that fixed.

It remains to be seen whether the maps get updated more accurately. I've encountered numerous occasions where the maps show incorrect info and mapshare the correct info.

There is still the custom poi issue.

This discussion was created from comments split from: New version 3.0 for GO Navigation App (Android).

Comments

• eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    There are also some long lasting bugs which aren't fixed. These has been reported multiple times, but apart from the standard copy/paste answers - from people only caring to have issues closed with whatever answer- nothing seems to happen in order to get things fixed.
    The issues are:
    - illegal instructions on a roundabout to turn left or go straight, whereas the road code in Belgium clearly says that one needs to go on roundabout on the right hand side.
    - The zoom level of the complete route remains when one actually starts the route. This is zoomed out too much without any details which is not practical if one directly needs to go in a street

It remains to be seen whether the maps get updated more accurately. I've encountered numerous occasions where the maps show incorrect info and mapshare the correct info.

• eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    Some other issues I've encountered with 3.0:
    - roads with restricted access (only local traffic allowed) aren't show whilst driving. This is rather annoying for orientation. When I drive to/on a crossroad IRL with roads of that kind, these aren't shown on the map.
    - exit info (exit number, info on exit sign, etc..) of a highway are way too small compared to the distance indication. The exit info is rather important though
  • eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    Additional issues:
    - the device is getting warm on longer trips and it isn't even summer
    - there is regularly - it comes and goes without any pattern - an addition of 1 min due to so called traffic jams. In reality there aren't any traffic jams at all
    - IQ routes are still overruling real life traffic data, even if the latter is a much faster and shorter route. IQ routes don't take public holidays into account.
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    eddydc wrote: »
    szachowa wrote: »
    Thanks @Marek_MkZ , we will also monitor this issue while testing. If you find more concrete steps to reproduce, let us know.

I've mentioned that issue already earlier in this thread. I hope that you would also have a look at my other issues raised.

Of course, whenever I find some time to take a look, unfortunately I'm very busy right now :(
    @eddydc , and this is also tip to other forum members, it is easier for us to track issues, when they are put in separate threads. It is sometimes hard to follow one thread with multiple issues within. I will do my best to go through all the stuff reported here, but it is not possible at the moment.
  • eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    Of course, whenever I find some time to take a look, unfortunately I'm very busy right now :(
    @eddydc , and this is also tip to other forum members, it is easier for us to track issues, when they are put in separate threads. It is sometimes hard to follow one thread with multiple issues within. I will do my best to go through all the stuff reported here, but it is not possible at the moment.

Will making seperate threads make any difference in the handling /fixing issues?
    Most the issues are already reported multiple times via the support channels. Apart from standard copy/paste answers from people not knowing what their products are all about. It seems that problems reports end up in an oubliette and reporting issues is useless.
    The customer support is very poor, certainly for the fact that we are paying customers. I receive far quicker and better support from companies delivering free of charge (non navigation) products. Why can't TT can't treat their (paying) customers better?
  • szachowa
    The issues are:

Could you please provide us some locations where this issue can be easily reproduced? This would speed up investigation.

Could you please elaborate a little more about this particular case? Is starting a route equal to planning a route, or starting driving along the route? What setting has been selected in "Zoom & orientation" screen (available in maps & display).

As far as I remember, this may reduce a little bit movement observed in next instruction panel, when 1.0 km changes to 900 meters. We will investigate further if we get more complaints like this about displaying 1.0 km instead of 1 km.

I think this has been already discussed on this forum. We are working on transition to new map, that will introduce full scope updates once per month. This should reduce number of situations where something is fixed in mapshare and still not present in our navigation app.

• szachowa
    - roads with restricted access (only local traffic allowed) aren't show whilst driving. This is rather annoying for orientation. When I drive to/on a crossroad IRL with roads of that kind, these aren't shown on the map.

I would like to ask for example location where this can be observed. I will then ask if this is expected behavior and if there are any plans to change it.
    - exit info (exit number, info on exit sign, etc..) of a highway are way too small compared to the distance indication. The exit info is rather important though

We are collecting feedback about our next instruction panel, and I can see in the ticket, that we plan to tackle the font size, to make it configurable in the future.

• szachowa
    Thanks @Marek_MkZ , we will also monitor this issue while testing. If you find more concrete steps to reproduce, let us know.

I've mentioned that issue already earlier in this thread. I hope that you would also have a look at my other issues raised.

Yes, sorry, I can see now, I have missed that:
  • szachowa
    Additional issues:

How warm is getting your phone when using our app? Is it warmer than with other apps that you use on your phone that require screen to be turned on all the time? What was the temperature readout over time while driving?
    Having in mind how complex are ARM cpus nowadays, and how much heat they can dissipate, I think it can be perfectly normal that phone gets warm when using it. I have seen some videos of phone reviews with built-in fan (some phones for gamers).
    Until there is no phone shut-down caused by overheating, or app has not been closed by the system because of the overheating, I think everything is fine.
    - there is regularly - it comes and goes without any pattern - an addition of 1 min due to so called traffic jams. In reality there aren't any traffic jams at all

Next time when you see this issue, could you please log following:
    - screenshot from the app
    - exact day and time when this occurred
    - exact location where this happened
    - picture of a road that shows that there was no traffic at the moment in a given place.

This is important, since team responsible for traffic has to check historic data when investigating cases like this. Without such info they will refuse to analyze any reported ticket.
    - IQ routes are still overruling real life traffic data, even if the latter is a much faster and shorter route. IQ routes don't take public holidays into account.

This is known issue that has been already reported and is being tracked under: NAV-42837 and NAV-14533.
  • eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    Additional issues:

How warm is getting your phone when using our app? Is it warmer than with other apps that you use on your phone that require screen to be turned on all the time? What was the temperature readout over time while driving?

It's getting hotter than normal. No other apps don't have these issues. Last year I got even the warning from android indicating that the phone is too hot. It was a hot summer though, but airco was on in the car.
    This time, it was barely 15°C.

• eddydc
    Exalted Navigator

I would like to ask for example location where this can be observed. I will then ask if this is expected behavior and if there are any plans to change it.

Two examples close to each other:
    nqmd964czuw0.png

The AE Verbisstraat isn't shown. This a street for local traffic, but not shown in the zoom level based on road type.

Same thing for the Hoogveldlaan in this example

mape4toiwqp9.png

• eddydc
    Exalted Navigator

Any thoughts on the above. The illegal roundabout instructions and the lack of accurate map updates (thing show correct in mapshare for ages, but not in the android app) are the more urgent ones.

The 1km is just aesthetically but an example of the sloppiness of things.

A solution for having custom pois and show them on the map is also a must that needs to fixed soon. My GPS device had this feature 20 years ago already, why not this TT app?

• szachowa

Two examples close to each other:
    nqmd964czuw0.png

The AE Verbisstraat isn't shown. This a street for local traffic, but not shown in the zoom level based on road type.

Same thing for the Hoogveldlaan in this example

mape4toiwqp9.png

Thanks for examples, we will check this.
  • eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    Thanks for examples, we will check this.

Don't forget the other issues, which are IMO even more important.

• Marek_MkZ
    Marek_MkZ Registered Users Posts: 83
    Supreme Trailblazer

As far as I remember, this may reduce a little bit movement observed in next instruction panel, when 1.0 km changes to 900 meters. We will investigate further if we get more complaints like this about displaying 1.0 km instead of 1 km.

Hmmm IMHO in this case it is very good behaviour. This '0' is the significant '0' for the range 1-9.9 km (I'm not quite sure about upper limit - nevertheless it shows precision of distance measure - the same is for let's say distance 2.0 km or 5.0 km)

• eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    edited May 2021
    Marek_MkZ wrote: »

Hmmm IMHO in this case it is very good behaviour. This '0' is the significant '0' for the range 1-9.9 km (I'm not quite sure about upper limit - nevertheless it shows precision of distance measure - the same is for let's say distance 2.0 km or 5.0 km)

What's the added value of having this 'precision'? 1km is the same as 1.0km and the latter prevents showing more useful info properly like exit info which shows way too small.

• Marek_MkZ
    Marek_MkZ Registered Users Posts: 83
    Supreme Trailblazer
    It's just the consequence in displaying of the distance. Digit after decimal point is displayed for whole mentioned range so it takes the same amount of place regardless it is 5.5 km, 1.1 km or 1.0 km. So if 1.0 km is changed to 1 km then size needed for displaying the distance will be smaller for just 100 meters (between 1.1 km and 900 meters) so I think that it makes no sense to change coding. And You know that actual distance to next manoeuvre is surely not more than 1.1 km. Strictly speaking if You have just 1 km displayed then it actually can be just 1 km but also 1(.4) km as it is for larger distances.
  • eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    Marek_MkZ wrote: »
    Strictly speaking if You have just 1 km displayed then it actually can be just 1 km but also 1(.4) km as it is for larger distances.

Odd assertion. Nobody said anything about rounding off numbers. Just omit the surplus info.
    The most import thing is that the exit info should be shown in a larger way/font, since the most important.