iOS app freezing

LCYCowboy
LCYCowboy Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
Recently, my TomTom Go app has been freezing. When this happens, I need to close the app and restart. I am on 2.6, but am pretty sure that this happened before upgrading too. It is getting a little annoying (as you don’t notice it locking up until you get to a junction and then have to restart - while driving)

Comments

• lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,954
    Hi @LCYCowboy

Welcome to the Community! Do you use the Apple Carplay or is it just an App screen for navigation? There's a known issue with the App freezing on the CarPlay screen. As a last resort, please try re-installing the app and see if it changes this behavior. Otherwise, we'll need the Phone Model and iOS version installed on it.

Please note: you will need to log in again to your TomTom account after reinstalling.

Regards, lampard
  • LCYCowboy
    LCYCowboy Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks for the quick response. I don’t use car play, just the go app. My phone is an iPhone 11 and I am running 14.5.1.

The lock up seems to happen every trip (normally in the first 5 minutes). After closing and restarting the app it then seems to work (although I haven’t been on a trip longer than 30 minutes recently to see if the lockups occur again).

I have been using your apps on my iPhone for a very long time (including cross Europe marathons) and have never encountered this before.
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,954
    edited May 2021
    Hi there @LCYCowboy

Thanks for the details! Before the next trip, I would advise you to uninstall the app and make a reset on your iPhone. (Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button while pressing and holding the Home button on the front. When you see the Apple logo, release both buttons) Install the app again and let us know if the freezing occurs again. I'll check with the team in the meanwhile.

Best, lampard
  • Qetesh
    Qetesh Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited June 2021
    Hi @lampard, I am not OP but I seem to have the exact same problem and I tried reinstalling the app before even reading about it here. It is a fairly annoying problem which makes the app basically useless for me. This is clearly a bug in the app which can get people into quite dangerous situations when the navigation suddenly stops working in a busy place.

What I can add is that it seems as if just the location update stops. You can still move the map around on the screen so it's not the whole app that crashes - but only restarting the app makes it update the position and give directions again.

I am on an iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 14.5.1, no CarPlay
  • leypetcat
    leypetcat Registered Users Posts: 10
    Master Traveler
    The freezing problem is occurring to me as well. When I start navigation on CarPlay the app freezes for at least 5 minutes. Telling us to re-install an app ( mind you it’s a pretty big resource hog- over 1.4 gigs for five states) and sign back in is a huge inconvenience. Especially since other navigation apps do not have this issue, Tomtom should find a fix for this ASAP.
  • Rob19
    Rob19 Registered Users Posts: 15
    Outstanding Explorer
    I am also having a severe CarPlay freezing issue. Yesterday I did not realize that the Go app had frozen and I ended up missing a turn and had to pull over, switch to a different app and double back. The Go app actually made my trip longer. On a prior trip the app froze 3 times and I had to shut it off. This is also relatively new behavior because as recently as several months ago the app was fairly stable. The app is basically useless until this is fixed. I have already tried deleting and reinstalling the app and it didn’t help. I am using iOS 14.6 with 2.6.1 of the app on an iPhone 7. No other CarPlay app has ever frozen on me.
  • RobKawa
    RobKawa Registered Users Posts: 11
    Apprentice Traveler
    The freezing problem happens to me every day on every trip. It is not easy to restart the app during riding on a motorbike. I do not have or make use of carplay.
    It looks like the app works in background but the screen freezes.. After hard closing the app and restart it works fine.
    A reinstall of the app and maps did not solve the problem.
    I have a iPhone 11 Pro iOS 14.7.1

Any news what causes this issue and when will it be solved?
  • RobKawa
    Apprentice Traveler
    Any news on this topic? It's getting very annoying..
  • PritVader
    PritVader Registered Users Posts: 12
    Legendary Explorer
    I’ve had this happen many times and it seems to be when there is a loss of mobile signal affecting data connectivity. Unusual since maps are downloaded onto the phone hence this should not happen.
  • Qetesh
    Apprentice Seeker
    I don't really care why it happens, but it happens too often to keep using this Software. I by now cancelled my subscription and use Apple Maps. I was annoyed by other little things in this app before but tomtom go is unusable because of this bug. By the time they fix it, if ever, people will probably have switched to other services and won't come back. And the customer support doesn't care at all it seems.
  • Bossie2
    Bossie2 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Why is TT not replying when things get worse. I have the trial version but reading all this I seriously doubt to extend my subscription
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    Hi @Bossie2

New version (Non beta) released today with Route Bar included. Works okay on my !2 Mini.

Doug
  • Robster100
    Robster100 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I have had freezing issues for at least 6 months and both my iPhone and apps are always up to date.

With me it does appear to be a CarPlay issue but other maps apps do not have this problem.

I will not be renewing if it continues as it makes the app totally useless and caused me to miss too many turnings!!!
  • madshk
    madshk Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I have had the issue for about half a year as well, both with and without CarPlay, both with wired and wireless CarPlay, and both with the old and new map formats. I tried reinstalling the app / resetting the phone as well.

Fortunately, my car has a self driving capability, or I probably would have crashed one of the countless times I have had to kill and restart the app on the phone. And often, I need to restart several times in order for the app not to stall during launch.

I have been a TomTom customer for 20 years, but I also will need to cancel my family subscription if this dangerous error continues unfixed.
  • keith3536
    keith3536 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Same problems app and CarPlay. Reinstalled all. Etc etc. no joy.
    Not renewing my subscription next month. Dissatisfied with TomTom. Crap.
    Any body their?
  • Martin-st
    Martin-st Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Same problem app freezing when starting and just sits at the screen with the timer going around. Using car play or not it just hangs all the time
  • BonzaiBob
    BonzaiBob Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Same Problem. Come on TomTom, fix the Bug. You can't use the app like this.
  • RobKawa
    Apprentice Traveler
    I made a post in this topic already in July and the issue is still not solved. Why can't TT not give an update on this? At least they can tell us the issue is recognised and they working on it..... I think it's time to switch back to Apple Maps.....
  • Qetesh
    Apprentice Seeker
    RobKawa wrote: »
    I think it's time to switch back to Apple Maps.....

I have done that 2 months ago when my annual subscription for TT Go ran out. Did not renew it because of this problem. By now I am used to Apple Maps and will most likely not go back to TT Go. They lost me as a customer and I hope lots of others follow.
  • delboy58
    delboy58 Registered Users Posts: 32
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    edited October 2021
    Glad to see I’m not the only one having this problem 👌 iPhone 8 Plus with CarPlay iso 15.0.2 app version 2.7.2 . I read somewhere that you can workaround this by switching airplane mode on, before lunching TomTom, this works sometimes but not always 😬 unfortunately my 12 months TomTom subscription automatically renewed on the 05 October 2021 😬 ​ otherwise I would not have renewed ( auto renew now switched off👍) Now using Apple Maps which I find better, if only the speed camera warning’s ​ were as good as Tomtom 😢
    Note I do 40k pa with work visiting 3-4 different addresses per day, so use my Sat-nav a Lot
  • Solidsnake0501
    Solidsnake0501 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    Hi all.

This app, putting it simply is awful.

From running the Tom Tom Uk & Western Europe app - the predecessor so to speak i jumped on this on release a few years ago. This app given the time its been available has just gotten worse.

1. I too have app freezes which is a pain in the backside. Having been on a motorway and not noticed the freeze, this has caused me to miss an exit.

2. Boot up map issues. This app can load for ages upon boot up. By swiping up / closing and immediately re opening, it will go to the map screen in seconds. Nightmare if you need the app in a rush.

3. Other boot up map issues. Upon loading the app, for the last two weeks it still thinks I'm in the orkneys, scotland. The map will load, show me in Scrabster, then take an minute to reposition to my location in Yorkshire.

4. Off route mapping. I have lost count the amount of times this app thinks I've gone off route or are on a different road. It will eventually correct itself but irritating watching the blue dots trying to pull me back on point.

Remember folks… your paying for this too 😂
  • PritVader
    PritVader Registered Users Posts: 12
    Legendary Explorer
    I've had this freezing issue several times and it's not unique to just CarPlay. I use my phone with my motorbike and it's quite a major issue, especially when you don't realise it's frozen and you end up missing that crucial turn or junction whilst paying attention to the riding.

Seems to happen a lot when the phone switches networks (while roaming) or when there is momentary data loss. Rarely happens around built up areas.

It's a great app otherwise and the added functionality of synchronising routes is fabulous. I will gladly continue using it once this freezing issue is fixed.

Also, please introduce the ability to import routes with waypoints.
  • Baxatila57
    Baxatila57 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited November 2021
    TomTomGo App on iPhone 8 plus hangs by startup everytime