The sd card for my Smart Media System doesn’t have enough space to download a map — TomTom Community

The sd card for my Smart Media System doesn’t have enough space to download a map

REJ110REJ110 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
During the server issue earlier this year my map became corrupted and can not be seen, but it is still using up space on the sd card which is stopping me redownloading a new map.
What is the best way to resolve this issue?

Best Answer

• AngryBirdAngryBird Posts: 56 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Accepted Answer
    buy 16 GB card
    0. Backup TOMTOM.xxx files to your hard drive
    1. Copy all TOMTOM.xxx files from old card to new card
    2. Use R-Link Explorer to expand storage on new card (Tools - Expert Tools - Resize TOMTOM files)
    3. Put maximum space that is on your card
    4. Then insert card into the car
    5. Remove Card from the car using option "Remove SD Card"
    6. insert in smart media connect

If it is hard to do this - the only way would be to go to your dealer and buy new Smart Media Card which will already be 16 GB (If it is not - don't buy it, means they are selling you old stock).

*R-Link explorer is not official TomTom application so it is all unofficial guide.

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 761 [Revered Pioneer]
    map zones?
  • REJ110REJ110 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi @rider1rider sorry I’m not sure what you mean by map zones?
    Accepted Answer
    buy 16 GB card
    0. Backup TOMTOM.xxx files to your hard drive
    1. Copy all TOMTOM.xxx files from old card to new card
    2. Use R-Link Explorer to expand storage on new card (Tools - Expert Tools - Resize TOMTOM files)
    3. Put maximum space that is on your card
    4. Then insert card into the car
    5. Remove Card from the car using option "Remove SD Card"
    6. insert in smart media connect

If it is hard to do this - the only way would be to go to your dealer and buy new Smart Media Card which will already be 16 GB (If it is not - don't buy it, means they are selling you old stock).

*R-Link explorer is not official TomTom application so it is all unofficial guide.
  • REJ110REJ110 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi @AngryBird
    Thanks for the advice, I'm kinda there, but the issue I'm having is that the Smart Media System won't read my SD Card, (it will read the card if I plug in a card reader into the usb, but I'd rather not have that fudge). I have used a mini and "normal" 16GB SD Card and neither are being read.
    Can you suggest an make/size SD Card that I could use?
    @REJ110 You need to:
    1. Format SD Card in FAT32 (not NTFS)
    2. Copy your TOMTOM.xxx files from old SD Card (they are hidden - you need to make sure you see them)
    3. Extend files with R-Link explorer
    4. insert into car.

I think you formatted exFAT or NTFS which will not be recognized by the car or smart media connect