App turning me around — TomTom Community

App turning me around

Hi

I have had the app on a couple of different phones on and off for a few years.

I love the app but there is one thing that is sending me to competition. When I am stationary in a queue of traffic it sometimes thinks I have spun around on the spot and face the other way.

Although I prefer Go I have also used Google maps and with maps I have never seen this issue on any of the phones.

I suspect that Go doesn't use the compass and maps does. Can this please be added as an option or at least some way to turn down the "turn around" sensitivity?

Dan
Tagged:

Best Answer

• szachowaszachowa Posts: 320
    Staff
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @DanFountain ,

I have discussed this topic with a person from our positioning team.

This is known issue, and they have in plans to improve experience with heading when standing still.

Answers

• DanFountainDanFountain Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    Just to clarify this has caused me big issues in the past as I then have missed turnings while it works out I didn't spin on the spot
    Staff
    Hi

I have had the app on a couple of different phones on and off for a few years.

I love the app but there is one thing that is sending me to competition. When I am stationary in a queue of traffic it sometimes thinks I have spun around on the spot and face the other way.

Although I prefer Go I have also used Google maps and with maps I have never seen this issue on any of the phones.

I suspect that Go doesn't use the compass and maps does. Can this please be added as an option or at least some way to turn down the "turn around" sensitivity?

Dan

I'm also observing this on my private phone.

As far as I remember, I already discussed my case with the team responsible for
    positioning, and my phone was to blame here. I collected detailed GPS logs with some internal tool, and it showed that GPS reading were all over the place.

I will ask again about your issue and get back to you.
    Staff
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @DanFountain ,

This is known issue, and they have in plans to improve experience with heading when standing still.
    szachowa wrote: »
    Hi @DanFountain ,

That would be awesome. Honestly I don't think there is another sat nav app as good as Tomtom if you can just get this resolved. I had one time where the reroute then tried to send me back the way I had came and then would not go back the original way. All from spinning me around on the spot.

Thank you
    Staff
    From my own experience, it seems that it really depends on the phone.

I used to have Motorola X Style, and I have never seen this issue. Then I switched to Motorola One, and I it is notorious now, probably they use some cheaper stuff for GPS.
    Mine was first on a Motorola One as well but now is happening on a Motorola g8 power.

Although I can understand hardware may come into it - I have never had the issue with Google maps as example.