edited May 14 in RIDER
I've updated my rider 2013 but it now keeps rebooting and I can't reset it
ive tried using home but that keeps crashing now
any suggestions?

Comments

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 939 [Revered Pioneer]
    drum reset?
  • xtractifxtractif Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    How can I do that when home won’t work an can’t access screen ?
  • Mathew550Mathew550 Posts: 34 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Did you get a resolution to the issue?
    Can’t use device now won’t buy another TomTom support is a disgrace
    Sorry to hear you did not get a resolution from TomTom support. The issue with your device seems to be a fairly common fault unfortunately.

It looks like the software update procedure needs to be revised. My understanding is that the program is wiped and a completely new install is made on each update which in the case of the 500/550 and this is done directly to the GPS unit via TomTom connect (not first to the PC and then to the unit), therefore any interruption during the update process renders the unit unrecoverable!?

Tomtom in the past had been excellent and I am on my 5th unit (car and motorbike) having upgraded regularly. If my Rider 550 cannot be recovered, this maybe the last TomTom unit I buy also.
    there doesn't seem to be anyway to reset the unit, if I disassemble it and disconnect battery would it wipe memory and allow you to reinstall?
    Try contacting TomTom support again. It maybe a case that the firmware has been corrupted. To be fair to TomTom once I had contacted the Support my unit has been sent back for investigation, if it is in the warranty period it gets fixed for free, if out of warranty there is a charge of 105 Euros.
    I guess you need to weigh up the cost/benefit of the above option if it is offered.
    It is disappointing however that the issue could occur during an update and TomTom should design the process so this could not happen.
    Share what you decide yo do.
  • FlookFlook Posts: 20 [Legendary Explorer]
    Mathew550, what is tomtom supports number, I cannot get it anywhere. Okay not that I need it now, but for the future.

Flook B)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,267
    Superuser
    Hi @Flook

There are no phone lines working because so many are working from home because of Covid.

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat or Email. If Chat is closed, ie its not normal working hours Mon/Fri, it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
    Flook, please follow the advice provided by DougLap in the above post, this is the method that I followed.

TomTom may ask you to try a few things you which I am sure you will have already done, just be patient and answer all the questions again as required. When they ask for your name, address, e-mail, phone number plus serial number this is all required for the customs declaration for your device to be returned (tomTom complete this for you). They will also ask for the original invoice, this is to determine whether the unit will be repaired under warranty or not. As yours is a 2013 it will not be :)

Good luck.
  • FlookFlook Posts: 20 [Legendary Explorer]
    Thanks guy's, much appreciated.

Flook B)