How to switch maps on the TomTom GO 520 WiFi? — TomTom Community

How to switch maps on the TomTom GO 520 WiFi?

I bought GO 520 one year ago. Description of item was showing a world map by Amazon. I just realized it has only a map of North America. How to switch it to a map of Europe?

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,908 Moderator
    edited May 11
    Hi @FlyBy81
    Welcome to the community!
    If the map of Europe is installed already then - try the steps from the below article

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013898300

If the map is not installed -
    Go to > Main menu >Settings > Maps > Add a map

Regards, Vikram
  • FlyBy81FlyBy81 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Hi,
    @VikramK I bought that device because they were advertising it as GPS with a world map. I just realize it has only North America. I do not need NA map. Now I am forced to buy different map?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,972
    Superuser
    edited May 11
    Hi @FlyBy81

Try the following.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Maps
    Tap Add a Map

You should be offered all the Tomtom maps and you can then select the region followed by the Map from that Region you want and download it to your device.

Once you have downloaded all the maps you require, which may involve you adding an Extra Memory Card, you then

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Maps
    Then tap the Map that is shown at the top and you should be taken to the list of Maps you have downloaded and can select the one you want to use at that time.

I would always suggest you have a minimum of 2 maps on the device at any time as this enables you to delete an unwanted map and replace it with a required one. In my case I have the Venezuela map on my device permanently as it takes virtually no memory as the second map.

The maps obtained by this method are free as they are included in the purchase price.

If the unit has the NA map on it then unless it is secondhand and so changed it was originally sold in the USA as it would be Europe if it was sold within that region.

If when you go to Add a Map the maps are not listed there then advise us here so we can get one of the Mods to sort that for you.

Doug