Multi screen support carplay — TomTom Community

Multi screen support carplay

FrankX67FrankX67 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi, when is TomTom going to support the multiple screen support on Apple Carplay.

I have a Tiguan 2021 and Apple maps supports this option. I can have the map on the large console display and the driving instructions on my 2nd screen (digital cockpit) very user-friendly.

Would be awesome if TomTom would also support this. Any ideas if this is on the roadmap?

Comments

• SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 54 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited May 8
    Before people get their hopes up, even if TT app supports this, very few cars have infotainment systems which support this behaviour. For example, Google Navigation can co-exist on 2 screens (seen this on a MY20 Honda CR-V) where the 2nd digital screen shows a skeletal form of the driving instructions. But for the VW group cars, I believe only the newer MIB3 infotainment systems support (likely to be MY21 onwards)
  • FrankX67FrankX67 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    But for the VW group cars, I believe only the newer MIB3 infotainment systems support (likely to be MY21 onwards)
    Yes, you are correct for VW only the newest cars support it. Still got my hopes that TT will support this in the short future :)

• SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 54 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Agree, but if I were TT, given the very limited number of cars that currently support this, it wouldn't be high on the priority list given all of the other problems and issues that need addressing. Wait a few years and then, yes, implement this, unless it's easy.

What really surprised me was that the Honda CR-V we test-drove (back in 2018) was (is) not famous for having a state-of-the-art infotainment system, but still managed to show the additional Google navigational directions on the car's HUD (only available on the EX trim) and it was damned useful (that was using Google Nav+Android Auto, but assume CarPlay+Maps would have been equally functional). So I agree totally, it's a feature I'd love to see implemented
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,314 Moderator
    Hi @FrankX67

Welcome to the Community! I'll add this as a feature request for my product team.
    I have a Tiguan 2021 and Apple maps supports this option. I can have the map on the large console display and the driving instructions on my 2nd screen (digital cockpit) very user-friendly.
    Can you post a picture of this for more clarity? I would love to see how it looks like.

Best, lampard
  • FrankX67FrankX67 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    lampard wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of this for more clarity? I would love to see how it looks like.

Of course. In the photo you see me using Google Maps on the main display (Apple Carplay) and the driving instructions are additionally shown in the digital cockpit. It is showing in the middle section and in the rev-counter. But This is fully configurable to e.g. show only in the middle section.

e6xv2qvejz2g.jpg
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,314 Moderator
    Thanks, @FrankX67! Looks neat :)