How do I know if my battery is charging? — TomTom Community

How do I know if my battery is charging?

How do I know if my batter is charging on a Go 510?

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,219
    Superusers
    edited May 3 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @jacintainspain
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices... When the device is FULLY charged the USB Doctor will display 0.00 Amps
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,703
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @jacintainspain

Looks like a faulty rear socket.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited May 4 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @jacintainspain
    Bodge of the week ;):)
    Maybe....
    Fully charge the device using the Mount (So you are not deep charging the device at the next stage when you are mainly transferring Data)

Remove from the Mount... Run MyDrive Connect....
    Connect your GO 510.....
    Gently push/move the Micro SD plug about... See if you can get MyDrive Connect to show as connected... Use a blob of Blue-tack or the like to hold the Micro SD plug in that position....
    See if the GO 510 will update....

The above is at your own risk, all the normal exclusions apply....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

Superusers
    edited May 3 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @jacintainspain
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices... When the device is FULLY charged the USB Doctor will display 0.00 Amps
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jacintainspainjacintainspain Posts: 53 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you for the information the battery indicator window shows no charge but the black & white status screen shows 76% yet the device will not connect to my laptop unless in the windscreen cradle so I guess I have a serious issue with the device
    Thanks
    Superuser
    Hi @jacintainspain

When you device is in its windscreen mount it will only accept a charge, it will not accept any data if it is connected to your PC. IE if you want to update the unit it will not do it if the unit is in its mount.

Doug
    Hi Douglap the problem is when its not in its windscreen mount the device will not turn on or connect to my Laptop so I have been unable to update my maps for some time now
    I think the usb connection point on the device is faulty
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @jacintainspain

Looks like a faulty rear socket.

Doug
    Yes I thought that was the issue and TomTom want a ridiculous amount of money for the repair so I guess I'll just live with not being able to update my device anymore as I'm certainly not going to pay for a repair at their prices and the unit is only four years old
    I will not be purchasing another Tom Tom unit either as this is the second one I have had issues with after a short life span
    Thanks for all your help
    Superusers
    edited May 4 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @jacintainspain
    Bodge of the week ;):)
    Maybe....
    Fully charge the device using the Mount (So you are not deep charging the device at the next stage when you are mainly transferring Data)

Remove from the Mount... Run MyDrive Connect....
    Connect your GO 510.....
    Gently push/move the Micro SD plug about... See if you can get MyDrive Connect to show as connected... Use a blob of Blue-tack or the like to hold the Micro SD plug in that position....
    See if the GO 510 will update....

The above is at your own risk, all the normal exclusions apply....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    That's exactly what I was going to try tomorrow as I have managed to fully charge the unit by wiggling the USB connected into the body of the unit and holding it in place with a peg so will try the same thing when connecting it to my laptop
    Thanks again
    Just a quick update The battery is fully charged but it will not connect to my laptop in fact no matter what I do the laptop does not even recognise the device although it does continue to charge it up via the usb cable, so I guess there is no way I can update my device Oh well I don't use it much anyway but I would never recommend another Tom tom device given all the issues I have had with this one over the four years I have had it
    But thanks for all your help
    Superusers
    Hi
    @jacintainspain
    I own/maintain 8 Tomtom devices and have never had a problem with a faulty Micro USB Port....

Stay Safe ATB YFM
    Glad you have not had a problem but I guess I have just been unlucky but still will not purchase another one if they can go wrong in this short space of time and then be told how much to repair it which was nearly the cost of a new one, so no not for me again