How to deactivate tracks/lorries detours? I am driving a car. — TomTom Community

How to deactivate tracks/lorries detours? I am driving a car.

There is no option on my GO 620 serial no ZExxxxxx077 to deactivate track/lorries detours. I am driving a car and this is very annoying.

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 635 [Revered Pioneer]
    do you have a truck device
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,732
    Superuser
    edited April 30
    Hi @TonyRe

If your TT unit is a GO620 professional, a truck based unit, then you should be able to select Car as the vehicle in settings and it should then route as it would with a Car based device.

If you have a car based GO620 then there are no Truck related options.

As you are in Australia so there maybe something I don't recognise so what do you mean by Track/lorry detours.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,253
    Superusers
    Hi
    Tomtom Australia support reports....
    ZE --> TomTom GO 620 Wi-Fi -->1PN6.019.00 -->16GB

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi

ZE is also a serial number prefix for the GO620 Professional model in Australia.

Doug
    Superusers
    Hi Doug...
    +1... I missed that one in the list :3

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TonyReTonyRe Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks Doug,

In Australia we have trucks but in UK they call them lorries. I'll check tomorrow if I can select between car and truck as now here it is midnight. I bought it in a consumer product type of shop and not in professional/truckies supplies shop.

Cheers Tony
    Hi Doug,

I cannot find any selection for Car or Truck anywhere?

Cheers Tony,
    Superuser
    Hi @TonyRe

Looks like you have a car based GO620 or a Car Map loaded. Try the following

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap About

You should get a list of info including the Map or Maps loaded on the device. If the Map listed does not have Truck in its description then it is not a Truck based Map.

Now when in Settings if you Tap Maps then Add a Map are you offered a Truck Map. If not then you have a GO 620 and not a GO620 Professional which is a Truck unit.

Look back here on Monday to see if @VikramK can confirm what model you have.

Doug
    Thanks Doug,
    I have followed your instruction and it appears that this is not a GO 620 Professional. So, what is next please?
    This unit continuously is diverting me from cities centres through some weird streets/roads. In many cases, I have noticed that these are Heavy Vehicle diversions.
    Cheers Tony
    Superuser
    Hi @TonyRe

In Settings/Route Planning what have you set under the heading Always plan this type of route

Doug.
    Hi Doug,

I don't have such an option i.e. "Always plan this type of route"
    but I have:
    1. Always take the fastest route
    2. 2. Ask me so I can choose
    3. 3. Don't ask me.

I am aware of these options and tried to switch between 1. and 2. but without apparent desired results. I used to have selected option 1 and now selected option 2..
    Under "Avoid on every route" there is no option for "Avoid Heavy Vehicles detours" and this is what is missing IMHO. Hopefully and prudent to say, this should be included in the next software update or just cancel this feature all together. Alternatively, TT should replace this unit ASAP please.

I bought this unit some 4 years ago and this was very premature product particularly in BT and WiFi communication and traffic data updates. I can see lately significant improvement in performance of this product but the above is really annoying particularly when I am on my country drives in an unknown territory.

Cheers Tony

Superuser
    Hi @TonyRe

The always plan this type of route is just below the list you show.

The 3 options you list are related to what you want to happen if there is a Faster route available than the current route being suggested. Ie

Do you want it to replace the current route without asking you

Do you want it to ask you whether you want to take the faster route first

Or don’t you want it to change whatever is the current route even if there is a faster route.

These 3 options are then followed by a number of other options which, depending on which option you select, define the type of route you want to apply whenever the GO620 calculates a route. Ie do you want it to always calculate

The fastest route
    The Shortest route
    Always avoid Motorways
    Etc. Etc

There will never be an Avoid Heavy Vehicle detours as the Car maps do not have vehicle dimensions or weight details in them to know whether a route has issues related to the vehicle. It will calculate a route based on a car and your desire for the Fastest Route, Slowest or Avoiding Motorways etc. If you are seeing Heavy Vehicle detour signs it is because the route type you have selected coincides with the suggested route for heavy vehicles.

Doug
    Thanks Doug,

As it is now in many instances, it detours me away from small towns centres through a back roads/streets. What selection do you recommend to avoid it please?

Cheers Tony
    Superuser
    Hi @TonyRe

I always have mine set to Fastest.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

So, I used to set it to the fastest, possibly resulting in diversions. Now, I will try Eco. All this appears to me overcomplicated and why not to have option selecting "Follow a tourist route through city Canters" as this is required by tourists. I guess GO620 is too complicated and with too many options for an average bloke/retiree. I bought this unit for its screen size and next time use both my old GO750 and this GO620 and try Google Maps.

Cheers Tony
    Superusers
    edited May 3
    Hi
    @TonyRe
    Welcome to the site....
    Just a thought....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Route Planning
    Scroll down to... 'When a faster route is available'....
    Have you set it to 'Always take the fastest route' ???

I use... Ask me so I can choose....
    At least I know when the device thinks there's a faster route available....
    Otherwise, I would not be aware of the Route Change (The Original Route may have may be faster ??? But not the type of route I prefer to use)

PS,,, I've never liked the Eco route option....
    I have been offered some strange routes using the Eco option

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks YFM,

I will try, everything is getting more complicated from one day to another and as a results our limited life time wasted.
    Hopefully, TT will introduce a "tourist drive" option. They are offering/suggesting leisure drives so why not tourist/weekend/sightseeing drive style.

Cheers Tony
    Superuser
    Hi @TonyRe

As I said I always have Fastest Route as my selected Route preference.

If I ask to be directed to Oxford then my route is 105 miles and just over 2 hours. If I set the preferred route as Eco then the route is 85 miles, over 3 hours and involves going through London rather than around it.

When your TT units calculate a route they take into consideration the Traffic conditions within 50 miles plus Radius of your start point. There is not much point in routing based on a Traffic Jam 100 miles away as it could well be sorted before you get anywhere near it. As you drive along it updates itself on the Current Traffic situation within 50 + miles of your current position. So if it finds a new route that is faster than the currently proposed one then you have either set it to just change to the faster route without telling you or for it to advise you so you can choose to take the newer faster route or carry on the way you were being directed.

On your GO620 you can ask it to calculate a route to a final destination but programme it to go via specific places. Ie go through Sidney rather than around it but to do this you need to put in Waypoints within Sidney to enable this.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited May 3
    Hi Doug
    DougLap wrote: »
    (Snip) If I ask to be directed to Oxford then my route is 105 miles and just over 2 hours. If I set the preferred route as Eco as the route is 85 miles, over 3 hours and involves going through London rather than around it (Snip)
    That also like my experience of Eco route planning... Two locations both with a short section of 'A' Road linked by the M6

The Eco route took me through the centre of Worcester in the Rush-hour ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM