TomTom MyDrive Web- Want to give us feedback on the new map style? — TomTom Community

TomTom MyDrive Web- Want to give us feedback on the new map style?

Hi everybody!

We would love to hear what you think about the new map style in MyDrive Web!
Feel free to share your opinions, and use screenshots to show examples that you either like better or find could be improved.

Thanks!!
MyDrive Web Team.

Comments

  • cbrfireblade cbrfireblade Posts: 72 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi Daniel, sorry to say but for me its horrible. The previous map was a million times better, this map is difficult to see, read and if I do not zoom in 100% many many streets etc are just not visible and when I do zoom in 100% they are still not very clear making route planning not easy. One example is a road in Malaga MA-3101 which on the new map on my PC is totally invisible unless I zoom in 100% but on the previous map and mapshare the road is visible without zooming in. For me here in Spain please go back to the pevious map or use the same map as mapshare. If tomtom stick with this new map layout for me I would use google maps or other for route planning. Can you also ask the necessary team instead of changing a map that did not need changing can they work on more useful items like avoiding emmision zones in route planning and make the navigation experience better. Many thanks for asking the views and opinions of your customers.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,440
    Superusers
    edited April 28
    Hi Daniel...
    I also prefer the previous Map layout, the minor roads on the latest Maps are far too small/narrow and disappear altogether too quickly when zooming out on the Map....
    I think the present size of the text for the side roads is probably acceptable....
    But, the width of the side roads should >> NEVER << be narrower/smaller than the height of the capital letters used in the name of the side road....
    If you use the zoom levels used in the https address bar as a guide, the Max zoom is 18.00....
    I think the side road size should be equal to the side road size displayed at zoom level 18.00 or at a push 17.00... I guess the aspect ratio of the other road types should also be maintained ???
    PS... I always view MyDrive Web route planner with the browser zoom set to 120%
    My screen is a 60cm 1920x1080 60 Hz display, we don't all have giant 4k Monitors....

    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 706 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi, @DanielForniesSoria ,

    Sorry, but I think it is NOT very good!

    Unless I fully Zoom in, I can't even read the Road/Route Numbers - even at Full-Zoom, they are NOT very clear (also on 1920x1080 Resolution)!!

    Also, I can't get my Mouse-Wheel to Zoom in, it has to be done via clicking on the +/- Buttons - why?
  • cbrfireblade cbrfireblade Posts: 72 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited April 27
    Totally agree guys, imagine being with friends at a coffee bar trying to plan a route to go for a motorbike ride and your using say a 10 inch tablet which I would be using, with this new mydrive map layout you have no chance of planning a route it would be nearly impossible. Lets hope they either make this map much much improved or even better go back to the pevious map or use the same map as mapshare for mydrve route planning.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,440
    Superusers
    edited April 27
    Hi
    @John-Jay
    I use the Chrome Browser for the MDW Route planner, I find it has the fastest screen redraw when scrolling the Map....
    The Map zooming using the Mouse Scroll wheel works OK for me....

    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Al-CharlesAl-Charles Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    In the tomtom Mydrive, you have options for car, motorcycle, truck and camper... can we have a bus tab.

    A bit annoying when you sell the 6250 to both truck and Coach :pensive:

    Kind regards

    A Coach Driver. :angry:
  • Al-CharlesAl-Charles Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Im using MyDrive Beta. Not finding any problems with the map. Seems nice an clear on my pc.

    However Daniel, you could add a Bus tab, along side car, truck etc. Also it would be nice to Set both add stop and end direct from the mouse, right click. That menu does not allow End route.
  • AngryBirdAngryBird Posts: 56 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    While I would love to review and give feedback - can't because we constantly have issues with basic feature like MyDrive/Smart Media Connect.
    It is like trying to review new steering wheel of the car while engine is not functioning...
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,440
    Superusers
    edited April 29
    Hi
    @Al-Charles
    Al-Charles wrote: »
    (Snip) Also, it would be nice to Set both add stop and end direct from the mouse, right click. That menu does not allow End route.
    (1) Right-Click on the Map at the required Starting Point --> Choose....'Use as a Starting point'
    (2) Right-Click on the Map at the required Destination --> Choose....'Plan Route'
    With the Simple/Basic route planned & Calculated....
    (3) Right-Click on the Map at the required location/s --> Choose....'Add Stop'
    Repeat (3) to add more stops....

    Note... When you add the extra Stops Max Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up the road on the route after the required traffic island exit....

    Maybe Useful....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1720215/#Comment_1720215

    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • cbrfireblade cbrfireblade Posts: 72 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Al-Charles wrote: »
    Im using MyDrive Beta. Not finding any problems with the map. Seems nice an clear on my pc.

    However Daniel, you could add a Bus tab, along side car, truck etc. Also it would be nice to Set both add stop and end direct from the mouse, right click. That menu does not allow End route.

    Hi AI-Charles I have just tried mydrive on my PC and my 10 inch tablet in Beta mode and still very very difficult to see secondary roads ( country roads ) minor roads towns and cities on the map here in Spain unless you zoom in as far as possible and even then its still very difficult and not clear and on my 10 inch tablet its nearly impossible. Just wondering do you have your PC at any specific settings because if I look at google maps on my PC and my 10 inch tablet google maps are very clear easy to read and even county minor roads are nice and visible

    cheers.
  • Al-CharlesAl-Charles Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Too be honest, in stead of messing around with the map colours, etc, How about spending the time fixing stupid problems, Found a great one today, satnav tried to take me into a road that does not exist, for 14.2 bridge. Glad i new the route, because it would cause someone a nightmare.

    Also why when you spend 3 hours working on an exact route, does it then alter itself for no reason. Making to route a mess and going around things the total worng way.

  • Al-CharlesAl-Charles Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    @ YamFazMan

    Thanks. will look at the thread.
  • cbrfireblade cbrfireblade Posts: 72 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Al-Charles wrote: »
    Too be honest, in stead of messing around with the map colours, etc, How about spending the time fixing stupid problems, Found a great one today, satnav tried to take me into a road that does not exist, for 14.2 bridge. Glad i new the route, because it would cause someone a nightmare.

    Also why when you spend 3 hours working on an exact route, does it then alter itself for no reason. Making to route a mess and going around things the total worng way.

    I agree Charles there are things that tomtom can lmprove on but the new mydrive map is a problem when trying to plan a route. I don't know about the UK and other countries but with the map of Spain and Portugal if you do not zoom in as far as possible secondary roads ( country roads ) , mountain roads, towns and cities are just not visable and even if you do zoom in as far as possible they are still not very clear making route planning difficult on my PC and especially very difficult on my 10 inch tablet. The previous map was a million times better easy to see, to read making route planning easy. If tomtom want to improve the map layout on devices fine but I hope for mydrive they go back to the previous map or use the same map as mapshare.
  • cbrfireblade cbrfireblade Posts: 72 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Thats it, I have played around with the brightness, contrast, resolution etc on my PC and especially country roads, mountain roads towns and cities are still impossible to see on this HORRIBLE new mydrive map layout unless you zoom in as far as possible and even then they are not clear and not easy to see. Now on will do my route planning on google maps where country, mountain roads, towns and cities are visible especially satellite view.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,440
    Superusers
    edited May 10
    Hi
    @cbrfireblade
    I also use the Free, slightly quirky, but very good ITN Converter
    ITN Converter/Route planner has a huge number of Map types....
    The Tomtom Routes Map is included :)

    The ITN Converter also Saves/Exports a huge number of route file types
    ITN Converter will also export straight to.....
    Tomtom Home...
    Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    Tomtom itinerary (.ITN)
    Tomtom POI (.Ov2)

    The ITN Converter is quirky because it uses two Windows, one with all the save/export options the other, being the "Editor Window" where you plan your routes
    You use the large green tick to switch between Editor (Planning) and the window with all the save/export options
    Get ITN Converter here...
    http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&itemid=3&lang=en

    There is a Tomtom Map...
    4qmj3d8jk79x.jpg

    ftljbjbkeifi.jpg
    I also think the ITN Converters ViaMichelin and the Nokia OVI Maps also appear to be a good match to Tomtom Maps

    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • cbrfireblade cbrfireblade Posts: 72 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @cbrfireblade
    I also use the Free, slightly quirky, but very good ITN Converter
    ITN Converter/Route planner has a huge number of Map types....
    The Tomtom Routes Map is included :)

    The ITN Converter also Saves/Exports a huge number of route file types
    ITN Converter will also export straight to.....
    Tomtom Home...
    Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    Tomtom itinerary (.ITN)
    Tomtom POI (.Ov2)

    The ITN Converter is quirky because it uses two Windows, one with all the save/export options the other, being the "Editor Window" where you plan your routes
    You use the large green tick to switch between Editor (Planning) and the window with all the save/export options
    Get ITN Converter here...
    http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&itemid=3&lang=en

    There is a Tomtom Map...
    4qmj3d8jk79x.jpg

    ftljbjbkeifi.jpg
    I also think the ITN Converters ViaMichelin and the Nokia OVI Maps also appear to be a good match to Tomtom Maps

    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

    cheers YamFazMan will look into that. Trying to plan a route in Spain and Portugal on this horrible new mydrive map is useless, country roads and mountain roads etc are just not visible unless you zoom in as far as possible and even then you can only just about see them. Why they had to change the map, as the saying goes if its not broken dont fix it. Stay safe.
  • Paul_PLPaul_PL Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm glad you asked. I'm just a new user of tomtom. I just have bought the 550 model. I did test the route planner for a few days and I must say I really liked it especially for motorcycle options like Hilliness, Windiness and Trill tab. Also the green bold lines along especially nice view roads were the best as I'm into that as a motorcycle rider!! And now the lines are gone!!! Also, you can't see the smaller roads when you zoom out and this is not acceptable for me as I mainly WANT TO PLAN my trips with this roads as a motorcycle rider.
    So for now I returned my device to the store as this was internet purchase and hope you can bring back the more useful interface for planning. In the meantime I'm gonna buy Garmin device so you have like 2 weeks time for that.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online in this Category0