Map won't fit — TomTom Community

Map won't fit

Since I last updated thethe download on the European maps has been changed, removing the option to select just the countries I use. As a result, it now won't fit on my device. I have the maximum supported 8gb SD card installed and all of Europe is more than 8gb on its own. I only want the UK! Go 500

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,624 Moderator
    edited April 20 Accepted Answer
    Hi @acedashdog
    A different version of the Europe map has been activated on your TomTom. This will allow you to install smaller regional/country-specific maps[Europe].

Regards, Vikram

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,731
    Superuser
    Hi @acedashdog

The maximum micro SD memory card that is recommended for your unit is 32gb.

When @VikramK picks this up if you only have an Europe map on your account then hopefully he will add a small map that will go on your internal memory and so enable you to format a bigger card on the unit.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,253
    Superusers
    Hi

Welcome to the site....
    Install a Quality Branded 16GB or 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card....
    The Memory Card can only contain Maps or be used to transfer Planned .ITN or .GPX Routes
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card... For the new larger Maps you need to install a Branded Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card
    The latest Full Europe Map is around 9GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless, a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Class 10 Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

The early 8GB NAV4 devices... The Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the 8GB NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....

For instance the latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 8.6GB....The device also uses the onboard Memory for the Operating System + 400MB is used for working space and is considered the bare minimum free space for the device to operate....

@VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators will pick this up and if required ??? Add a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

For More Info & Options See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    edited April 20 Accepted Answer
    Hi @acedashdog
    A different version of the Europe map has been activated on your TomTom. This will allow you to install smaller regional/country-specific maps[Europe].

Regards, Vikram
  • acedashdogacedashdog Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    That worked, thanks! Will it remain set like that next time an update is published please?
  • DJSheridanDJSheridan Posts: 70 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    @acedashdog I think your device only updates the map you have installed - it should not overwrite to a bigger map... so the smaller map you have will be the only update you get.
    If you log in and connect your device to your account then you can see the installed map and also where it has been installed.
    acedashdog wrote: »
    Will it remain set like that next time an update is published please?

Yes, it will :)

-Vikram
  • acedashdogacedashdog Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Thank you for your prompt help! =)