Cannot update device and no maps! — TomTom Community

Cannot update device and no maps!

richardmclarkerichardmclarke Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited April 18 in Map installation
When I try to update the device through TomTom Mydrive connect I get the following error - "Something has gone wrong ... Check your computer for more information. On the computer it just says "Updating device"
When I then select OK on the device it says "No maps found" Connect your device to your computer and check for updates using MyTomTom. Install all updates listed.
If I click My Maps / Install it gives the error - "Something has gone wrong ... Check your computer for more information. On the computer it just says "Updating device"

At the moment the device has no maps and therefore cannot be used. Any ideas?

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,253
    Superusers
    Hi
    @richardmclarke
    You haven't stated which Model Tomtom do you own ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DJSheridanDJSheridan Posts: 70 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @richardmclarke
    Perhaps best to do a Factory Reset?
    Try that.
  • richardmclarkerichardmclarke Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for your help.

@rider1rider - unfortunately that doesn't work. When I try to install a map it just goes back to the error page - "Something has gone wrong ... Check your computer for more information. On the computer it just says "Updating device"

@YamFazMan - It's a TomTom Start 25

@DJSheridan - To do a factory reset I need to access the menu and that is not possible as I just get the "No Maps Found" screen.

Any other ideas?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,253
    Superusers
    edited April 18
    Hi
    @richardmclarke

Tomtom FAQ... Compatible memory cards for map installation
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900980-Compatible-memory-cards-for-map-installation

Maybe useful.... Adapt the post below to suit your Location/Maps....
    NAV3 Devices with 4GB On-board Memory... Catch22
    The 1st 2 characters of the serial number define the Tomtom Model... Does your Start 25 have 4GB or 8GB on-board memory ???
    z807awl9z2c5.jpg
    Tomtom devices need at least one Map installed before they will Boot-up...
    The Maps on the NAV3 devices easily fitted onto the 4GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 4GB limit on-board memory size on the NAV3 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The NAV3 Full Europe Map size is now 4.621 GB....

Note... If you already have the Map installed on a Micro SDHC memory card the NAV3 device will update the Map as normal....

When you update using MyDrive Connect, you should be offered a Map Zone.....
    If you mainly travel in the UK and do not need the Full Europe Map... The Europe Zone 1 has the UK&ROI Maps....

If you require the Full Europe Map you will need to install a 8GB or 16GB Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card (32GB is the max size, but it's way over the top for 4GB Maps)

Method... Install a Map Zone.... Zone 9 is the smallest Map Zone....
    I used Zone 1 as it also has the UK&ROI Map...

(1)... With MyDrive Connect running click MY CONTENT menu...
    (2)... In MY MAPS... Click on the required Flag Icon (Europe)...

9wya7oj3tsrn.jpg
    1gmmg7ftpv93.jpg
    Note... You can ONLY use the above menu option....
    'Use a memory card in your device'
    If you have already installed a memory card formatted with the Tomtom propriety format....

b94ya0yjxd8i.jpg
    Follow the on screen menu prompts to select and install the required MAP Zone....

With the Map Zone installed... The device will Boot-up and allow you to Format the Micro SDHC memory card to the Tomtom propriety format, this will allow the installation of Maps
    (3)... Format the Micro SDHC memory card to FAT32 on your PC
    (4)... Insert the Micro SDHC memory card into your NAV3 Device, the device should recognize the card and offer to format the card to the Tomtom propriety format....
    Accept the offer and format the memory card...

(5)... MyDrive Connect screen should now refresh and allow you to install the Full Europe Map onto the Memory Card....
    zan73scl2t8a.jpg
    You May need to switch to the Full Europe Map ???
    From the main menu
    Tap (Settings)
    Right Cursor twice for next page
    Tap (Switch Map)
    Tap (Select the Europe Map)
    Follow onscreen prompts to exit

I suggest you do not uninstall the smaller map as it will also act as a 'Keeper'
    This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a Micro SDHC memory card
    Also, if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • richardmclarkerichardmclarke Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Wow, thanks for the detailed answer however I have a new problem :(.

Firstly my device doesn't have an SD card (TomTom Start25) and secondly I live in live in Europe (Canary Islands) so I need the Europe Map. However that is not the issue ... Now when I turn it on it shows the welcome screen where it says Welcome in many languages and then it freezes. I've tried to reset it by holding the on/off button until the drum roll but it gets stuck on that screen every time.