TomTom Services Disconnected — TomTom Community

TomTom Services Disconnected

Hi,

I updated my GO 5100 earlier today having not used it for over a year. Unfortunately it is no longer connecting to my live services; traffic, speed cameras etc. These are lifetime services that came with the purchase of the devcie.

The GPRS Status is reported as disconnected with code (23415,0,0,0,10,1).

I have tried a soft reset, and also factory resetting the device but it still won't connect. I have also had tech support on the phone - he told me that it is nothing to do with the SIM and that my services have expired and proceeded to try to sell me these services again. I am surpised by this.

I think the SIM card has been deactivated as I haven't used it for so long. Can anybody confirm this and is there anything that can be done to reactivate, or would my only option be to purchase a new unit if I want these services again?

Kind regards

Best Answers

• LLL888_LLL888_ Posts: 5 [Novice Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Ok, problem solved.
    After a bit more digging around, I found out how to remove the SIM card. I removed it to check it. It didn't look corroded so I put it back in. Powered on, no services. Powered off, took SIM out again, cleaned it with some kitchen roll and isopropyl, put it back in and powered on.
    It connected straightaway, and I have my live services back 🙂.

Note, to anyone else attempting this-I imagine removing the SIM card voids a warranty so keep that in mind. My unit is out of warranty so it didn't matter to me.

Thanks to @DJSheridan and @YamFazMan for your support 👍
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @VikramK,

Thank you for your comment. As I mentioned in the post before yours, I have sorted this out and I do not have a problem anymore.

No further investigation is required.

Thank you

Answers

• DJSheridanDJSheridan Posts: 70 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    edited April 16
    Hi @LLL888_
    It might be that as you have not used it for a long time if you do not update the maps, etc. (that I presume were free with this device too) then they can and do deactivate... hopefully @VikramK might be able to offer if this is right.

As it states when you sign in to My Drive Connect:
    "Lifetime is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with either software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its useful life when one or more is no longer available or if no updates have been downloaded to the device for a period of 36 months or more."
    Hi @DJSheridan,

Thank you for your reply.

It's a fair point about life of the device and downloads after 36 months. However, I downloaded Nav software update, UK maps and speed camera updates fine earlier today, so I don't think it is that the device is no longer supported.
    Hopefully as you mention @VikramK can shed some light on this and whether it is due to SIM deactivation or not.

Thanks for your thoughts
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,220
    Superusers
    Hi
    @rphillip
    Welcome to the site....
    If you're in the Office or at Home and your device is connected over USB + MyDrive Connect....

The USB connection will take priority over the GPRS SIM....

Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About....
    Scroll down to 'Data Connection'....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan,

I left it on my window sill switched on and not connected to anything for a couple of hours.

Kind regards
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,220
    Superusers
    edited April 17
    Hi
    @LLL888_
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs… (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR
    Have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting (NOT a USB Port on your PC... The USB connection can take priority over the GPRS SIM)
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles…

ATB YFM
  • DJSheridanDJSheridan Posts: 70 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Sometimes think these devices are like PCs... when you load any new software on it is recommended to restart.
    Same goes for these with the soft/drum reset too.
    Accepted Answer
    Ok, problem solved.
    After a bit more digging around, I found out how to remove the SIM card. I removed it to check it. It didn't look corroded so I put it back in. Powered on, no services. Powered off, took SIM out again, cleaned it with some kitchen roll and isopropyl, put it back in and powered on.
    It connected straightaway, and I have my live services back 🙂.

Note, to anyone else attempting this-I imagine removing the SIM card voids a warranty so keep that in mind. My unit is out of warranty so it didn't matter to me.

Thanks to @DJSheridan and @YamFazMan for your support 👍
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,581 Moderator
    edited April 19
    Hi @LLL888_

I don't see any issues with the subscriptions/services on your TomTom. This will need further investigation. The SIM status needs to be reviewed by our customer services team in the backend.
    LLL888_ wrote: »

I have also had tech support on the phone - he told me that it is nothing to do with the SIM and that my services have expired and proceeded to try to sell me these services again. I am surpised by this.

Be careful, we no longer offer support over the phone. You probably visited a fake website that pretends to act like TomTom Support.

To contact customer service please see information on this article- https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

Thank you, Vikram
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @VikramK,

Thank you for your comment. As I mentioned in the post before yours, I have sorted this out and I do not have a problem anymore.

No further investigation is required.

Thank you