Map Corrupted on the TomTom GO 5200 WiFi — TomTom Community

Map Corrupted on the TomTom GO 5200 WiFi

RonH1957RonH1957 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi,

On my 5200, the supplied Europe Map became corrupted after a failed update.
If I try to Repair it, I get a message telling me there isn't enough free space available on the unit.
If I try to delete the map, so I can re-install it, I get a message saying "All our servers are busy, please try again later". I've been "trying" for three days!!
I bought a 32gb Micro SD card, to try and put the map onto that, but when I try to Format that in the unit, I get a "cannot format this card, this card can't be used in this device" message.
I've managed to get a UK map onto the unit, so I CAN use it...but that's not the point...it's supposed to have the Europe Maps on it
Doing a factory reset didn't solve it either.
I've also deleted the two files on the PC, which are supposed to cure this, but that didn't do any good either.

I've tried all I can find to try. If the thing showed up in Windows, like my old one did, I could just go in and delete the map manually...but I can't even do that now...

Is there any way to sort this out, please?

Thanks, Ron.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,077
    Superusers
    edited April 15
    Hi
    @RonH1957
    First Try....
    Disconnect your Tomtom device....
    (Do not Reconnect your device until instructed)
    Logout of MyDrive Connect....
    From the Power menu >> RESTART << your PC (NOT Turn it Off 'n' On again)....
    Run MyDrive Connect....
    Login to MyDrive Connect...
    Connect & Start your device....

Important....
    NEVER have a Tomtom device connected to your PC when....
    (1)... Installing MyDrive Connect (Including Uninstalling & Reinstalling MyDrive Connect)
    (2)... Updating the MyDrive Connect program
    (3)... Modifying MyDrive Connect (i.e... Deleting the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders as in the workaround shown below)

Having your device connected can have an adverse effect on the USB Driver install….
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704775/#Comment_1704775

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • RonH1957RonH1957 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @YamFazMan

Did all that you suggested...no difference. Uninstalled and reinstalled MyDriveConnect...still the same.

Thought I'd cracked it, when I found a way to uninstall a map (see screenshot) but that was no good either...when I click on the "confirm" button, it changes colour to acknowledge I've clicked on it, but that's ALL it does.

I'm as stuck as I ever was. I can't repair it as there's "not enough space". I can't delete it as "our servers are busy" and I can't uninstall it, because nothing happens when I click the button. Been at this for the best part of a week, now. There would be no problem at all, if there was still the option to view the device in Windows Explorer as you used to be able to do.

I managed to Install the UK & Ireland Map, so I CAN use the device...but I need it to have the Europe Maps, as I bought the thing for driving in Europe.

Thanks for your help so far...don't suppose you have any other suggestions?

Cheers, Ron.
  • DJSheridanDJSheridan Posts: 115 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited April 16
    Hi @RonH1957
    Not sure if it will work but I'm pretty sure when you log into My Drive Connect and connect your device it reads regarding updates, etc.

If you go into what updates there are and scroll down the page to the Map section it shows you what you have installed.
    If you go into the 'failed' Europe Map you can amend to a smaller version of the map (like removing Russia or removing the buildings etc.) and when you do it should over-write what you already had on there in place of the new updated smaller version.

I do agree with you that old Tom Toms allowed you to see the unit as a drive in Windows and if you had a problem you went into the Raster Folder and removed all files in there - reboot the unit on My Drive Connect and it would say you have no map - then it allowed you to update the current new map.
    Tom Tom should update the software to allow users to connect into Windows for this very purpose.

Unless of course you have tried that and it just keeps telling you "not enough room".

Reason I state this is that my previous Go 5200 had an SD card in it and my full Euro map was on that - and after a few slow start up issues I went in via My Drive Connect and noticed that the internal drive was all but free of space - enough to put on a smaller map of Europe (I opted for just Western Europe - UK and France, Spain, etc.).

Once it was all updated the map had moved from my SD card onto the internal memory. I removed the SD card and the device - before I gave it to my Step Son - was then quicker than ever.
  • RonH1957RonH1957 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    DJSheridan wrote: »
    Hi @RonH1957
    Not sure if it will work but I'm pretty sure when you log into My Drive Connect and connect your device it reads regarding updates, etc.

If you go into what updates there are and scroll down the page to the Map section it shows you what you have installed.
    If you go into the 'failed' Europe Map you can amend to a smaller version of the map (like removing Russia or removing the buildings etc.) and when you do it should over-write what you already had on there in place of the new updated smaller version.

I do agree with you that old Tom Toms allowed you to see the unit as a drive in Windows and if you had a problem you went into the Raster Folder and removed all files in there - reboot the unit on My Drive Connect and it would say you have no map - then it allowed you to update the current new map.
    Tom Tom should update the software to allow users to connect into Windows for this very purpose.

Unless of course you have tried that and it just keeps telling you "not enough room".

Reason I state this is that my previous Go 5200 had an SD card in it and my full Euro map was on that - and after a few slow start up issues I went in via My Drive Connect and noticed that the internal drive was all but free of space - enough to put on a smaller map of Europe (I opted for just Western Europe - UK and France, Spain, etc.).

Once it was all updated the map had moved from my SD card onto the internal memory. I removed the SD card and the device - before I gave it to my Step Son - was then quicker than ever.

Many thanks for the reply, but that didn't work either..

I went through the steps as you described and clicked to continue. It then popped up with a "you can download quicker with USB" message...which I thought was strange, as I was USING the USB connection! I clicked on the "I got it" button..and nothing. Same as the other green button before, I click on it, it changes to acknowledge I clicked on it...but nothing happens. There is no "Back" button..all I can do to clear it, is click on the "X" at the top of the page and I'm back to square one.
  • DJSheridanDJSheridan Posts: 115 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi @RonH1957
    Hopefully @lampard or @VikramK will be able to help out.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,077
    Superusers
    edited April 22
    Hi
    @RonH1957
    RonH1957 wrote: »
    (Snip) Thought I'd cracked it, when I found a way to uninstall a map (see screenshot) but that was no good either...when I click on the "confirm" button, it changes colour to acknowledge I've clicked on it, but that's ALL it does (Snip)

I think I may have a workaround to your problem above....
    Make sure MyDrive connect is running on your PC Taskbar
    Connect your GO 5200 to a USB port on your PC
    On the GO 5200... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting... Make sure the 'Updates & New items' Menu is displayed on the screen.... But DO NOT open the 'Updates & New items' Menu

sy0hjza1wafu.jpg
    Open MyDrive Connect....
    Use the method you used before to get to this screen....

m419akps1chf.jpg
    Click on the 'Confirm Button'

Now go back to the GO 5200....
    Tap on the 'Updates & New items' Menu

Hopefully the GO 5200 Will Start Updating.....

I think the update is set up and Initiated in MyDrive Connect....
    Then confirmed and activated by simply opening the 'Updates & New items' Menu....

For More Info....
    See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1133834/updating-a-tomtom-wi-fi-device-over-usb-using-the-mydrive-connect-menu-structure

Stay Safe... ATB YFM