Connecting TomTom GO Essentials to Samsung S5 — TomTom Community

Connecting TomTom GO Essentials to Samsung S5

My Samsung S5 has connected perfectly for several years to my TomTom Via 52 providing real time traffic updates via Bluetooth and a tethered internet connectio. But the TomTom Essentials I have purchased as an improved product will not connect in traffic info mode. I have followed all the instructions I can find several times but with no success. Oddly the Bluetooth screen on my phone shows two GO Essentials devices as being available to connect, one with an earpiece icon and a second with a tablet icon. The earpiece icon device will connect but the tablet one will not which sounds as though that is close to the problem. I need advice before I take the new product back to the shop! Very diasppointed that something that use to work really well no longer seems to, especially since the basic TomTom device is much improved.

Any help much appreciated.

Best Answer

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,856
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @runner_bean

The Essential is designed so that when it is attached to Wifi that disconnects all other connections as the Premiums Inbuilt Sim and Bluetooth are disconnected when it is connected to Wifi. However when they are connected via Wifi then they should get Traffic Data. This is to stop unnecessary data connections if Wifi is involved.

Doug

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 1,125 [Exalted Pioneer]
    factory reset to device and delete pairing on phone
  • runner_beanrunner_bean Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for yur advice but did all that but no difference. After pairing can only get hands-free connection. Data connection says 'unable to connect'. even though Mobile Data is 'on'on my phone and also Bluetooth tethering (just like with the VIA 52 where it works 100%).
    I found the problem! If TT WiFi has been configured to connect to an available router for updates (as the manual recommends) then it's not possible to get Bluetooth to provide a Traffic connection. Turn WiFi off (by 'forgetting') and enable Bluetooth Tethering on the mobile phone and it all works as per the VIA 52. But annoyingly if I want to use TT WiFi again to get updates then I have to put the router password back in again as it's only by 'forgetting' the WiFi SSID that it can be disconnected. That's not helpful for users. Need an on/off toggle I suggest.

Alternatively WiFi can be used for traffic by setting the phone as a Mobile Acccess Point and using TT WiFi to connect to it. In which cae I think the TT connects to whichever WiFi signal is strongest (either phone or home router when I am parked outside my house) and has network connectivity. But I need Bluetooth anyway to connect my phone to my car hands-free system as it's more convenient than TT so in that case both WiFi and Bluetooth have to be switched on which doesn't seem sensible.

All this raises the issue of whether in principle I should be using Bluetooth or WiFi to connect my TT to the network to get Traffic when I am out and about. I have not found this mentioned anywhere apart from in the corners of some forums which I discovered. I would appreciate guidance and I suggest that guidance should be in the short user guide!

I'm not using the SMS service or have MyDrive installed on my phone and not sure how this would affect things. I once tried using MyDrive at one point to make a Bluetooth connection but it failed for Traffic (because TT WiFi was on) but it didn't tell me why! More hair loss!

Hope this is vaguely understandable. All very interesting but a expenditure of time I could have done without! In other respects the GO Essential is a great improvement over the VIA 52 (better touch sensitivity and much more responsive).
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,856
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @runner_bean

The Essential is designed so that when it is attached to Wifi that disconnects all other connections as the Premiums Inbuilt Sim and Bluetooth are disconnected when it is connected to Wifi. However when they are connected via Wifi then they should get Traffic Data. This is to stop unnecessary data connections if Wifi is involved.

Doug
    Thanks DougLap. It's a pity that's not clearly explained in the User Guide. And an on/off toggle for WiFi (as with a mobile phone) would make sense. I know I am not the only person to stumble over this - and I have a long background in electronics and IT!