Showing multiple routes when searching — TomTom Community

Showing multiple routes when searching

CoachLassoCoachLasso Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi all,

I have recently started using TomTom Go Navigation app as to see how it compares to Waze, Apple Maps as well as a normal Garmin GPS that I have.

One thing that I find missing is the ability to see multiple routes when searching a destination.

For example in Waze/Apple Maps when I enter a destination I get presented with up to 3 different routes which I can quickly review before deciding which one to take. Usually I look at how long it takes to reach destination as well as if there is a toll road.

In TomTom Go Navigation app I found that I have to search again to find an alternative route.

Is there a better way to search for route?

Thanks.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,834
    Superuser
    Hi @CoachLasso

Once it has created a route to find an alternative , and therefore a choice of 3 Routes, you have to go to Current Route/Find Alternative.

Maybe @lampard can submit this to the developers as an improvement to the App.

Doug
  • CoachLassoCoachLasso Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited April 12
    Hi @DougLap,

Thanks for your reply.
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @CoachLasso

Once it has created a route to find an alternative , and therefore a choice of 3 Routes, you have to go to Current Route/Find Alternative.

Doug

I knew about this :) but this way of doing is not very user-friendly.

Another example would be that once a route is created which includes toll road and I want to see a non toll road alternative then I need to go to Find Alternative > Avoid Toll Roads. However, if the proposed alternative doesn't suit me and I want to go back to an alternative with a toll road then I can't go back. I believe I'd have to clear the current route and start from scratch.

In Waze you can see the 3 alternative routes straight away (with/without toll roads) and then you pick which route you want to take.
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @CoachLasso

Maybe @lampard can submit this to the developers as an improvement to the App.

Doug

It'd be good if it could be submitted as an improvement or at least to be considered :)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,058
    Superusers
    edited April 12
    Hi
    @CoachLasso
    The One + Two alternate routes after the initial route calculation has recently been replaced by Alternate Route by Steering....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1751207/#Comment_1751207

There's a couple of ways to show the One + Two alternate routes....
    (1)... plan & calculate the route
    Tap anywhere on the displayed route
    A Quick menu opens --> Tap on the 3Dot Icon
    Tap Alternate Route --> Tap Find Alternative

(2)... plan & calculate the route
    Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> Tap Current route
    Tap Find Alternative

To check for Toll Roads... plan & calculate the route
    Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> Tap Current Route....
    See the ‘Toll Roads and More’ Icon If the Toll Roads and More icon is greyed out, then there are no problems with the route... If the Icon is live --> Tap on the Icon, the problem/s Avoid option/s will be highlighted in the list....

Note... If you have 'Avoid Toll roads' set to ON in the Setting Menus.....
    The App gives a 'Splash Screen' warning with a ' X ' to cancel the Toll road use....
    The Splash Screen Warning displays at the top of the screen... but you'll be forgiven for missing it... It only stays on the screen for a second barely enough time to read it never mind react.....

Stay safe... ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan,

Thanks for your reply.
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @CoachLasso
    The One + Two alternate routes after the initial route calculation has recently been replaced by Alternate Route by Steering....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1751207/#Comment_1751207

There's a couple of ways to show the One + Two alternate routes....
    (1)... plan & calculate the route
    Tap anywhere on the displayed route
    A Quick menu opens --> Tap on the 3Dot Icon
    Tap Alternate Route --> Tap Find Alternative

(2)... plan & calculate the route
    Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> Tap Current route
    Tap Find Alternative

Thanks for explaining this. I still find this way of doing to be a bit too complicated compare to how Waze and other apps are doing it. Hopefully, I'll get used to how TomTom implemented it :)

Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> See Toll roads and More
    If the Toll roads and More icon is greyed out there or no problems with the route... If the Icon is live --> Tap on the Icon, the problem/s Avoid option/s will be highlighted in the list....

Note... If you have 'Avoid Toll roads' set to ON in the Setting Menus.....
    The App gives a 'Splash Screen' warning with a ' X ' to cancel the Toll road use....
    The Splash Screen Warning displays at the top of the screen... but you'll be forgiven for missing it... It only stays on the screen for a second barely enough time to read it never mind react.....

I tried the above and I can't find any 'See Toll Roads and More' after tapping on 4dot menu.

After tapping 4dot menu I can go to 'Current Route' and tap 'Avoid Toll Roads and More'. Then if I want to remove the avoid toll road option I can't as the option 'Avoid Toll Roads and More' is greyed out and cannot be tapped again.

Superusers
    edited April 12
    Hi
    I’ve edited my original post...
    CoachLasso wrote: »
    (Snip) After tapping 4dot menu I can go to 'Current Route' and tap 'Avoid Toll Roads and More'. Then if I want to remove the 'Avoid toll road' option I can't as the option 'Avoid Toll Roads and More' is greyed out and cannot be tapped again (Snip)
    See the ‘Toll Roads and More’ Icon If the Toll Roads and More icon is greyed out, then there are no problems with the route....
    If the Icon is live --> Tap on the Icon, the problem/s Avoid option/s will be highlighted in the list....

To always avoid Toll Roads...
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting -- > Route Planning.... Scroll down to 'Avoid on every route'.... Set Toll Roads to ON....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan,
    Hi
    I’ve edited my original post...

See the ‘Toll Roads and More’ Icon If the Toll Roads and More icon is greyed out, then there are no problems with the route....
    If the Icon is live --> Tap on the Icon, the problem/s Avoid option/s will be highlighted in the list....

As per my previous post I do not have this option 'See Toll Roads and More'. The option I have is 'Avoid Toll Roads' so once I tap it then I can't untap it as it's greyed out.

Superusers
    edited April 13
    Hi
    @CoachLasso
    My Post doesn't say 'See Toll Roads and More'
    It says....
    To check for Toll Roads... Plan & calculate the route

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan,
    Hi
    @CoachLasso
    My Post doesn't say 'See Toll Roads and More'
    It says....
    To check for Toll Roads... Plan & calculate the route

The option 'Toll Roads and More' doesn't exist on my side. It's called 'Avoid Toll Roads and More'. Once it is tapped there is no way to untapped it to see an alternative with a toll road. This comes back to my statement that a new search need to be done to find alternative route.