Rider 550 won't use motorways — TomTom Community

Rider 550 won't use motorways

R600GESR600GES Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
edited April 12 in RIDER
Used MyDrive to install and ride a route to Wales, but when I asked it to plot a route home it wouldn't use the motorways from the original route and would only direct me accross country. I toggled the motorway option and got the same result, even from a motorway service station along the way. Can the software be re-installed or factory reset?

Comments

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 684 [Revered Pioneer]
    A route synced with MyDrive is a track. Tracks use a extremely detailed path. Te Rider tries to follow this path as close as possible over the road. So no routing options are used driving this track.

For the fast way home you have to stop the track and create a new route Home with the home option in the menu. Make sure to select fastest route and allow motorways. (The curvy roads option likes the small curvy roads that I love ;) )
  • R600GESR600GES Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Sorry RoadRider, you are missing my point. The sat-nav will not use motorways as a stand-alone unit, despite any setting adjustments. When I am 250 miles away from home, and it's raining and getting dark the last thing I want is a seven hour ride through the twisty B roads of Wales. I love back roads as much as any biker, but I need the option to use the motorway network which my device won't.
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 127 [Supreme Navigator]
    R600GES wrote: »
    Sorry RoadRider, you are missing my point. The sat-nav will not use motorways as a stand-alone unit, despite any setting adjustments. When I am 250 miles away from home, and it's raining and getting dark the last thing I want is a seven hour ride through the twisty B roads of Wales. I love back roads as much as any biker, but I need the option to use the motorway network which my device won't.

Guys, this was my point I raised a day or so ago. After a nice fun day out hacking down too many crappy little byways when, at the expense of just a few extra miles, there's a far easier route along main roads or motorways.

The mapping data is telling the algorithm the these crappy little roads have the same or similar rate of progress as the main highways. The don't and are also far more exhausting when one just wants to get home.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,253
    Superusers
    edited April 11
    Hi
    @cmcook34
    Welcome to the site....
    Check....
    Are Motorways set to be avoided on >> EVERY << Route ???
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Route Planning....
    Scroll down to 'Avoid on every route'....
    Make sure Motorways are >> NOT << Selected....

After the last NavKit update, all the Avoids like Motorways etc were moved to a new menu 'Avoid Road Types'....

Now you... Plan & Calculate your Route -->
    Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> 'Current Route' --> 'Avoid Road Types' --> Select... 'Avoid Motorways'
    I think the idea is now they have added Tunnels & Country Borders to the list, is to have all the 'Avoids' listed in one Menu....

For example...
    To always 'Avoid' Motorways....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Route Planning
    Scroll all the way down to sub menu 'Avoid on every route'
    Turn ON 'Motorways'
    Conversely, to always use the Motorway... Turn OFF 'Motorways' in the 'Avoid on every route' Menu....

To Avoid' Motorways etc... On a Route by Route basis....
    Plan & Calculate your Route -->
    Tap 4Dot (....) Menu --> 'Current Route' --> 'Avoid Road Types' --> Select... 'Avoid Motorways'

Maybe useful, a more detailed Full post....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1709213/#Comment_1709213

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 684 [Revered Pioneer]
    If you want to use the fastest route do not use the track that is calculated with curvy roads.
    So just enter the destination with fastest route and motorways enabled to get the routing you like.