No camera updates — TomTom Community

No camera updates

Hi - I've not received the usual camera updates (twice a week on Tuesday and Thursdays) for 2 weeks now. Can you please check into this? Thanks!

Best Answers

• CrosenderCrosender Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks once again for your great detail and help with this, Doug!

I've now contacted support through a chat box and was told they'll be looking into this, so am hoping that I won't have to reset.

Of course if a reset is needed, I will do that, but am hoping to avoid it if possible, having already gone through that once before, so I know what a pain it can be.

In any case I really appreciate both your level of knowledge and detailed support as well as caring enough to do it quickly.

I'm sure it'll be taken care of one way or another now, but am hoping it's without the need for a factory reset and will certainly update you as to the outcome - that's if I don't forget to do it, but either way, know that I really appreciated your care and level of support.

Take care,

Morris
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,230
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Crosender

Your welcome..

Doug
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Crosender

Glad you are sorted. Hopefully all will work okay from now on.

Doug

Answers

Superuser
    Hi @Crosender

I have just downloaded todays file so if you have not been offered it try a Soft Reset and if that does not solve it then a Factory Reset.

Soft Reset

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034215/how-to-reset-your-navigation-device/p1?new=1

Factory Reset

Tap Menu/Settings/System/Reset Device.

Before doing the latter Factory Reset go to the My Drive WEBSITE and log into your account. Check that your My Places, My Routes and 3rd party POI files you may have added to your device are saved there so that they will be restored to the Unit after the Reset.

If that does not resolve it then advise back here and we can ask one of the Mods to check your units settings on the TT servers.

Doug
    Thanks for the quick reply Doug!

Unfortunately I had already done the soft reset, as I really didn't want to go through the factory reset... again! In any case, the soft reset wasn't "hard" enough I guess...

The problem started last Tuesday (30th) when the update came but failed (sometimes that happens for some reason but will update next time).

As of last Tuesday, no further updates were offered. Do you know if there's a way to clear a failed update without doing a factory reset?

Seems like this type of resets (the "factory" variety) is something needed on a regular basis at this point - which is a huge pain in that I have to re-input all my customizations - and that takes a lot of my time.... and will to live! But that's the "lockdown talking" - so it's a figure of speech...

In any case, I was hoping this is something they can check/fix on their end, before going to the extreme reset route, however, I can't find a way to chat or reach tech support (other than here I mean) and if you know of another way to flag this, please let me know.

Thanks again for your quick input and (more importantly) for confirming that updates are in fact working.

Take care,

Morris

Superuser
    Hi @Crosender

If you Tap Menu/Settings/System/ About what does it say against cameras.

Below I have detailed how you can contact TT Customer Support during normal working hours Mon/Friday, however it is quite likely that they will ask you to do a Factory Reset as part of the process to resolve your issue. Once you have gone to the My Drive Website and checked that your Data is there it is a simple routine to do a Factory Reset. What happens is the Unit returns itself to the Out of the box position however the Operating System and Map Versions you have on the unit will not be affected and will still be there on completion of the Reset. You will have to set the unit up as you diid originally by inputting your Wifi, and My Drive details and repair your Phone and any particular settings you like such as Wide Route bar .

It is a good idea to do a Soft Reset after any Updating etc to tidy up the Files

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat or Email. If Chat is closed it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times
    If the above does not work as described then try another Web Browser..

Doug

Accepted Answer
    Thanks once again for your great detail and help with this, Doug!

I've now contacted support through a chat box and was told they'll be looking into this, so am hoping that I won't have to reset.

Of course if a reset is needed, I will do that, but am hoping to avoid it if possible, having already gone through that once before, so I know what a pain it can be.

In any case I really appreciate both your level of knowledge and detailed support as well as caring enough to do it quickly.

I'm sure it'll be taken care of one way or another now, but am hoping it's without the need for a factory reset and will certainly update you as to the outcome - that's if I don't forget to do it, but either way, know that I really appreciated your care and level of support.

Take care,

Morris
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Crosender

Your welcome..

Doug
    Hi Doug,

As promised (and most of all... remembered!), I'm updating you as to the results.

Going forward from your last message, I received an email from Support who have tried to help by pushing the (camera) update - twice - as it continued to fail.

The third email was the one I was expecting earlier actually, and it said that they've now pushed it twice with no results so that it's now time to do a factory reset.

Didn't really want to do that as this is not the first time I've had a failed update resulting in a factory reset, so I asked for a third "push", while this time I'd do the update via PC cable and not WiFi.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with my WiFi as it's not given me any problems with other devices, however, it was the only other thing left to try at this point.

So she kindly arranged for a third update push and when I went to the update section, it automatically went to update without me having to choose anything, but... it failed in the same way as all the others, giving me the usual error message!

However, what happened next was totally different as I had a camera update ready and waiting for me to push OK!

That worked flawlessly and is now up to date. :):)

Now... would the (second) update have come through even without another "push" from support? I don't know, but it didn't offer it to me even with the cable plugged in on Monday (as it wasn't yet available I guess). My best guess is that My GO 5200 "thought" it was updated and when the Tuesday update came along, it offered it - but still don't know if Support did anything else in the background, that helped, but from my point of view, the cable was the "catalyst" and necessary for this fix - irrespective of what was happening on the "back end".

Anyway, I am still testing this "theory" so on Thursday (the usual day for camera updates), I will once again use the cable (with WiFi totally disabled of course) and see how it behaves. I expect it won't fail this time either.

For completion, on Tuesday (the usual other day for camera updates), I will once again use the WiFi and see if it will install this way.

I can't yet conclude anything for certain, however, I do believe that in this instance, using the cable did make the difference and would recommend to use that in those cases of a failed update (and also asking Support to "push").

Hopefully this will be of help, if not in every case, at least in some.

Once again, thank you for your help with this!

Take care,

Morris
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Crosender

Glad you are sorted. Hopefully all will work okay from now on.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

Here's one final update and one question.

I've now updated via WiFi and the latest camera update went through without issues, leading me to question why Support insist on doing a factory reset as the "go to" solution to (pretty much) anything, instead of (at least) trying by cable first!

That's a stupid (and rhetorical) question to ask as I've been in IT support (also as a business owner) for many years, so I already know the probable answers which follows my comment as to "why not learn to do things differently" - but again, I know the answer to that too. :'(

So will leave that disappointment aside and allow others to (hopefully) come across this thread and learn something new which will help them.

My new question is yet another disappointment that has yet to be answered by a qualified employee (you can read about it searching my previous thread) and am hoping you know more about this or anyway, can tell me something that I've yet to discover.

The question is... whatever happened to the Map Share updates?

These used to come in at least twice a week (sometimes more!) and then all of a sudden they stopped and can definitely confirm (because I've made a spreadsheet with all the different updates) that the last one offered was 20/10/2020!

Needless to say that when a new map is offered, that also counts as Map Share update too, however, I'm strictly referring to the independent updates only.

According to VikramK, these haven't been suspended or removed, but he wasn't able to say why they weren't being offered as frequently and... didn't seem overly concerned to find out, either! :/

Anyway, do you know anything about this and do you get Map Shares regularly, or even irregularly?

Thanks for taking the time to read through my various rants... =)

- Morris
    Superuser
    Hi @Crosender

I am afraid that mapshare/mapdates are a black art as far as I am concerned. I have rarely got involved in Mapshare and whilst there will be those that say there is a roundabout at the end of their road which has been there for 2 year, and TT maps don't show it but Google maps do, they don't mention the Supermarket on Google Maps that is 2 miles from where it actually is and is correct on the Tomtom maps.

So I am unable to add to any discussion on Maps and why some have more or less detail than others or why it can take so long to produce change. Regarding Vikram's comments he is not involved in Map matters and can only try to seek out information from those that are

Doug
    Thanks for your (always) quick reply, Doug.

The purpose of my question was only to ask if you knew something about what happened to this "feature", but mostly to know if you've received any Map Share updates.

To know the frequency of updates was more important to me because it would tell me whether it was just me not getting anything since last October... so the question remains and I will be more specific to make it easier to answer in just a few words:

When was the last time you received an update? Doesn't have to be precise, but for instance, was it this year (as far as you recall)?

Map Share is just another way to keep maps relevant with things like temporary road closures, diversions and detours, that sort of thing, and yes, ideally it should point out that new (permanent fixtures) of a roundabout too.

I can also understand that for whatever reasons, these things don't show up when people flag them, but that's another issue and not one I wanted to ask about because you couldn't possibly know and any TT employee wouldn't possibly want to admit to anyway.

One of TT's features they made a huge deal about was in fact Map Share - and it made good sense to make it a feature to boast about. But if people are to be encouraged to flag any changes, then getting regular updates (as in the past), would motivate people to get involved... or what's the purpose otherwise?

Having said that, I suspect that if TT doesn't implement the changes anyway, people are no longer going to get involved also for this reason. This is just my thought and don't expect you to know the answer to any of that.

So, from my point of view if Map Share is still a "feature", why then does it seem to have been abandoned? That's what it seems like to me, but Vikram (back in 2019), confirmed that it was still "alive and well" and I can see that it's still an option even in newer devices, so clearly they've not given up on taking input, just that it becomes redundant if updates come every 3 months with a whole map!

Having made all this "fuss", can we not live without these frequent updates? Of course we can - but that's not the point.

This is a premium product and if it's meant to be there, then it should be there. It is what makes TT better and reason to choose it over others... or at least, (it used to be) for me.

As for Vikram and as helpful as he's been in helping everyone (I will acknowledge that), my disappointment was in the way he not only was not interested in answering the "why" (there are no updates) question - and yes, I accept that it's not "his area", but that he never addressed my concerns by saying something like... "I don't know but I'll find out" or, "contact xxxx department". In other words, he offered literally nothing - and for a Support rep., that's not what I was expecting.

For someone that works in Support, well, that's disappointing. A business (especially Support types), are there to offer solutions - not "no options", or it gives less of a reason to choose them. Businesses (all of them) are there to solve people's problems, it's why we choose them, but "they" often forget that.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a complaint or even rant (I know it looks like that, but it's not my intention - seriously!), but just wanted to explain my thoughts and why. So I'll leave it at that, together with my continued disappointment.

Anyway, if you could just answer the original question as to when you received your last Map Share update, that's really all that my last message was all about.... though I got carried away with all the details - oops, I did it again! =)

Thanks for putting up with me Doug - I really do appreciate your knowledge, your time and your input.

Have a great rest of your week!

Morris

Superuser
    Hi @Crosender

The answer to your question is "this week". I have just turned on my GO Camper and there are 2 updates available and one is a 68bit Mapshare file which I assume was also one of the 2 files I downloaded the other day on my GO5200.

Doug
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 267 [Exalted Navigator]
    @Crosender

I have not kept a detailed record of when Map Share Update are received, and yes they have reduced in frequency severely; I thought that might have been due to Covid-19, but from memory over the last 6 months I would estimate 4................... ;)

But coincidentally there was a Map Share update bundled with "yesterdays" speed camera updates; I received on both my Go Premium X and a Go Camper. B)
    Thank you @Lost_Soul - that was really helpful!

Goes to show that there's something wrong on my end then - or maybe with my account on their end.

Again, I've not received a single (Map Share) update since last October, and I've been keeping a "TT updates" spreadsheet since July 2019 due to the inconsistent updates that I had been receiving back then.

At the time of these Map Share problems, I did contact Support (by phone) and they did something on their end and (as usual!) they also asked me to do a factory reset to fix the problem. Can't remember specifically, but I think the Map Share update came through right away, but after that, it was no longer twice a week but once or twice a month... maybe - but it eventually did come through at least once a month anyway.

Looks like I have to contact Support directly about this and am dreading the usual "factory reset is the only solution" as their answer to everything...

Many thanks again and take care!

- Morris

That's great Doug - thank you!

Just so you know, the last "double" update was last Thursday with the usual Cameras and the other one was a POI update, so no Map Share I'm afraid...

It is possible that weekly updates may be different between devices, and "our" GO5200 don't get the same Map Share as the GO Camper... though I would've thought that these updates (as with the Camera ones) are going to be standard to all units. Perhaps not...

Anyway, don't know if you've read already but @Lost_Soul has received about 4 Map Shares this year.

Signature says GO6200, so am assuming it's to do with that. Looks like it's time to ask Support to look into this I guess...

Thanks again for your input - always helpful!

- Morris