Why have Tomtom gone backwards with their products???? Twisty Routes Madness!! — TomTom Community

Why have Tomtom gone backwards with their products???? Twisty Routes Madness!!

DodgeDodgeDodgeDodge Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
Sure they have better connectivity and graphics but the useful Navigation and usability is the core of a GPS. Otherwise you may as well use your mobile!
Twisty routes is my main gripe as it is the main reason that I have a GPS.
The 2013 Rider (iv) was fantastic but the cradle was useless, I twice destroyed the cradle/unit from brand new on my single cylinder bike after only 1500 miles due to the vibes. And now the only way that I can use it is to charge it up before I go out and disconnect the power supply.
It's a long story but trust me this is the only option I can't even get round it by changing the cradle.
But at least the twisty routes option was bob on!! It chose great routes, avoided towns, and got you out of towns the fast way.
All of the later versions DIRECTLY TARGET TOWN CENTRES!!! Whereas it could easily go round them, and take you ROUND ALL OF THE LOCAL COUNCIL ESTATES because its more twisty than the main road!!! So irritating!!
I can't imagine why having got the twisty map so good they could throw it away and then get it so bad.
They had a real niche here and threw it away. It is the only reason that I don't want to upgrade to later versions, as everything else has advanced since 2013 (hardware technology) , I have tried it but had to revert back due to the pathetic twisty route shambles.
Other products are equally as bad (garmin etc) so why Tomtom threw this niche away I'll never know!!
The trouble now is that despite the "lifetime" free maps Tomtom has now decided that they will now charge for swapping map regions (up to £49 each) and also won't update the maps.
What a set of clowns!!
They give people little option but to cave in and use their mobiles instead.
Idiots! LOL

Comments

• TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 140 [Revered Navigator]
    Guys,
    I think a large part of the problem with modern navigators is the mapping data.

My biggest problem is, having had a lovely day, needing a low impact route home. Not via the fastest which generally adds miles via a great loop of motorway or shortest home which sends me along far too many crappy little snippets of road, including bits of the old road, it having been replaced or straightened with nice new carriageway.

Too many narrow lanes get the default maximum speed limit when the reality is 30mph/50kms or less. Many of these " FASTER" routes round my way aren't much wider than my bike, have very poor sight lines and include tractors and other agricultural hazards so speeds are low.

Same problem with my car Nav. Too many routes found by modern SatNavs generate big dangers to riders, drivers and residents by using impossible little roads.

Mapping data needs to include not just the maximum legal speed but width an safe speed detail. With this extra information the kit will be able to give user better choice, thrill or just easy home safely.

As i've outlined here before, I need a " No Crappy Little Lanes" option.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,621
    Superusers
    edited April 4
    Hi
    @SamLeitch
    Welcome to the site....
    DodgeDodge wrote: »
    (Snip) But at least the twisty routes option was bob on!! It chose great routes, avoided towns, and got you out of towns the fast way.
    All the latter versions DIRECTLY TARGET TOWN CENTRES!!! Whereas it could easily go round them, and take you ROUND All the LOCAL COUNCIL ESTATES because its more twisty than the main road!!! So irritating!!
    I can't imagine why having got the twisty map so good they could throw it away and then get it so bad. (Snip)
    I suppose in the ideal world, the trill route on Rider 4xx & 5xx should be divided into subsections, Urban/Town/Cities and Open Countryside....

The device should know when you enter a urban/town/city area and switch from a winding route to the fastest route, then as you leave the built-up area the device would switch back to your chosen level of winding route....

The route algorithm for a winding/thrill route, by definition must be totally different to a town/city fastest route, different enough to effect the thrill factor of the ride... Especially after you have missed a turning in a Urban, Town or City part of the route
    The route re-calculations on the fly and the slalom type route the 'Thrill option' generates in Urban/Town/Cities can be a really awful experience.....
    DodgeDodge wrote: »
    (Snip) The trouble now is that despite the "lifetime" free maps Tomtom has now decided that they will now charge for swapping map regions (up to £49 each) and also won't update the maps. (Snip)
    I'm not seeing that on my Rider 400 & Rider 550 both have 16 GB of Onboard memory and the full Europe easily installs on both devices.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DodgeDodgeDodgeDodge Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello
    How the heck do you find that "snip feature"????
    Well regarding the responses....
    What I'm getting at is that tomtom had the winding routes sorted on my 2013 rider.
    It worked really well and routed itself avoiding town centres.
    Whereas the 550 "Thrill", for example, would be laughable if it wasn't so painful. It appears to actively target them, and then uses any excuse to double the pain by then also going round housing estates.
    Going out with my pals who have managed to not destroy their 2013 models, You really notice how bad it now is.
    I can't lead any more as it drives them whacky. To be the Garmin is little better but tomtom HAD IT TOTALLY SUSSED on the 2013.
    That's why I have very reluctantly decided to revert back to the 2013 version and that's when I discovered that they have reneged on the maps deal. (I'm stuck with Southern Europe)
    With this 2013 version you can't have all of Europe on one device, you have to choose the one that you want (there are around half a dozen). You used to be able to swop and change using their website. It appears that you still can but you now have to pay. (it's not just me!).

But putting that aside I JUST WANT THE ALGORITHM BACK THAT IS USED ON THE 2013.
    It was tops! you didn't have to do any route planning. Simply put the destination in and choose "full twisty"

If you haven't experienced it you probably think that the 550 and Garmin twisty is acceptable I guess.

I can't for the life of me figure why how they managed to mess this up!

I'm not happy :/
    LOL
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 140 [Revered Navigator]
    edited April 10
    @DodgeDodge, the " improvements" they made over your 2013 version could be the newer maps grew to favour the needs of four wheelers. However, to manage the overall size they may have trimmed the now "unnecessary" detail to get it all to fit. Of course this idea could be total nonsense.

As above, my vain hope is they include road width and sensible achievable maximum speeds into the algorithm. With this extra detail I could get my wish for a " No Crappy Little Roads" option. After checking my last ride I found a fast road paralleling the slow narrow and wrong sort of thrill route I followed at far from optimal speeds and with bonus fatigue loading.