NOT CLEAR FROM GO DISCOVER MANUAL! — TomTom Community

NOT CLEAR FROM GO DISCOVER MANUAL!

macman_2021macman_2021 Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
Hi,
go discover manual says:
to update the firmware..connect the device to a power source,.a Mac,but keeping the display of the unit..OFF!
how can i keep it ..off ,if connected..will be on?
unless i click slightly the power on button.,is it right?
thanks.

Best Answer

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,205
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @macman_2021

If you wish to do updates, other than Map updates or Add Maps, for firmware etc then you can connect the device to a PC which has the My Drive Connect Software running. Once you have started any updating the Software could be running in the background on the PC whilst you browse the Internet if you wanted.

Regarding map updating the difference between 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz on my Discovery unit when connected are showing. 65Mbs and 390Mbs download speeds respectively .

I prefer to connect my Discovery unit to the USB socket in a Phone Charger plug or a USB socket on my wall socket when updating. Connecting to a PC's USB outlet will only provide 0.5amp charge which if the unit was fully working as in the car would not provide enough power to run the device and charge it up as well. That is the reason why you should use the supplied charger and not plug the device into a USB socket in your vehicle.

Doug

Answers

Superuser
    edited April 1
    Hi @macman_2021

You are referring to the following which appears under the heading Software updates.

"During updates, keep your device connected to a power supply and your device’s screen turned off."

@VikramK or @lampard should pick this up and refer back.

If you are doing any Updates and want a power source you could do as I do and connect it to an Apple, or similar, Phone charger plug that takes the USB cable as that will be giving a good charge whilst you are managing the updates etc in the device.

If you want to connect it to a PC/Mac then you can provided that My Drive Connect is running except you cannot update maps or Add maps when it is connected to a PC as they currently must be done via Wifi only.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,145 Moderator
    Hi @macman_2021
    Welcome to the community!
    It is not mandatory of course to turn off the screen but I just checked this and the update (map) continues when the screen is turned off.

Turning off the screen does not mean turning off the device. Just quickly press and release the power button to turn off the screen. The updates will continue to download in the background.

Thank you, Vikram
  • macman_2021macman_2021 Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    Doug and Vikram,
    thanks really for your help.

My question about the..turning off the display of the: GO DISCOVER was:

--just in case of : FIRMWARE.. update,made with USB connection to the Mac ,with Mydrive opened.,.and no wifi,hope this way works...is it CORRECT?

to update: MAPS :
    only wifi..and by the way... only with: 5ghz ,or also with 2,4 ghz? is it a matter of speed, between the two?

CONNECTION TO A POWER SOURCE:
    with the Discover ,is it correct to say that: it is not requested to connect the device to the Mac ,to keep it in charge,..while you update ..something?

to avoid a low battery situation.
    thanks.

Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @macman_2021

If you wish to do updates, other than Map updates or Add Maps, for firmware etc then you can connect the device to a PC which has the My Drive Connect Software running. Once you have started any updating the Software could be running in the background on the PC whilst you browse the Internet if you wanted.

Regarding map updating the difference between 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz on my Discovery unit when connected are showing. 65Mbs and 390Mbs download speeds respectively .

I prefer to connect my Discovery unit to the USB socket in a Phone Charger plug or a USB socket on my wall socket when updating. Connecting to a PC's USB outlet will only provide 0.5amp charge which if the unit was fully working as in the car would not provide enough power to run the device and charge it up as well. That is the reason why you should use the supplied charger and not plug the device into a USB socket in your vehicle.

Doug
  • macman_2021macman_2021 Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    ok,
    of course i have always used the Tom Tom charger,when i use the car.
    and it is interesting the many categories added to the device,that finally permit to find many places,that it was impossible to find ,with the Go premium x.

interesting model.
    have a good day.