GO LIVE 1005: Can't install map — TomTom Community

GO LIVE 1005: Can't install map

I have a Go Live 1005. And a map subscription. I tried to downlad and install a new version of the map (Europe zone 7) through MyDrive Connect. The download SEEMS to work, at least it says 'downloading' for some time. The next step should be installing the map, but the pc screen states System Doesn't Respond (in Dutch as my software is set to Dutch). It advises me to use the USB cable that was originally supplied with the device, as opposed to the cable with the windshield mount. But my only supplied cable is with that mount! And downloading maps has always worked with that cable. I tried re-installing MyDrive Connect, restarting the PC, reconnecting the device... always halts at System Doesn't Respond.
What to do?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,677
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Klaas123
    Firstly Try....
    Disconnect your Tomtom device....
    (Do not Reconnect your device until instructed)
    Logout of MyDrive Connect....
    From the Power menu >> RESTART << your PC (NOT Turn it Off 'n' On again)....
    Run MyDrive Connect....
    Login to MyDrive Connect...
    Connect & Start your device....

Important....
    NEVER have a Tomtom device connected to your PC when....
    (1)... Installing MyDrive Connect (Including Uninstalling & Reinstalling MyDrive Connect)
    (2)... Updating the MyDrive Connect program
    (3)... Modifying MyDrive Connect (i.e... Deleting the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders as in the workaround shown below)

Having your device connected can have an adverse effect on the USB Driver install….
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704775/#Comment_1704775

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Klaas123Klaas123 Posts: 13 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi YamFazMan, thank you for your fast response, and for taking the time to respond.

What you describe as "Firstly Try", I did already as I tried to describe. And yes, I did Restart from the Power menu. This didn't help.

However, I think (not sure yet) that I solved my problem in another way. As I said, the windscreen mount is the only USB cable I have that connects to the Go Live. What seemed successful is that I did not put the device normally in the holder. In stead, I pushed the USB connector in the holder upward, then carefully put the TomTom on top to connect without letting it snap into the magnetic lock. This way, the connection seemed to be better. Indeed, from the looks of what happened, I could now successfully install the new map. Will have to test if the map is really updated, that's why I didn't post back yet.

So it seems that the electrical connection in my windscreen mount is shaky. In fact this ties in with my observation that when in the car, from time to time the battery indicator on the TomTom screen briefly switches back and forth between charging (and working on the car battery) versus not charging (and working from the internal battery). Also, sometimes when in use in the car, the device tells me it's making contact with my computer (which is impossible, and I just touch OK when that happens).

My model (Go Live 1005) is no longer supported, and I can't buy a new mount with better cable. But I seem to have found a workaround.

If it appears when testing that the map has not installed OK after all, I'll try your other suggestion and report back. If I don't report back, it's fine.

Thanks again for your time!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,677
    Superusers
    edited March 30
    Hi
    @Klaas123
    Sorry it slipped my mind that the GO 1005 has that unique cable for updating.... But the Cable does seem to be still available on eBay etc...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM