CONFUSING PROCEDURE FOR UPDATE GO DISCOVER! — TomTom Community

CONFUSING PROCEDURE FOR UPDATE GO DISCOVER!

macman_2021macman_2021 Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
Hi,
it is the second week that make the update of maps..but again..what i see on go discover 7,is slow and confusing.
- i see..there are updating..
- i click on Italy and a country close to mine for update and after that.,.what do we really do..to update the maps?
- i click on the two circled arrows with the mb of the update and ..i see a suqare,,than i click on ,update and for..many minutes i see..: loading..but nothing happens.
- i clikc the x..to stop it and i go on europa..maps..italy..click on the arrows and i see the square

i read..add..down the page..have i click on this button or just wait for to seethe loading in progress around the suqare of the country?
totally confused.

thanks.

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,230
    Superuser
    edited March 29 Accepted Answer
    Hi @macman_2021

When you see there are map updates then do the following.

Tap the MB value next to Europe .
    Now tap the Circle with a mb value against each country. Sometimes a Square will appear in the middle sometimes not. After each update has been downloaded the Circle turns Blue and then when it is ready to be merged with its map it has a Tick in it.

You can try Tapping each Countries update however you may find that you will see the screen appear showing it is finalising some map updates before you have Tapped all the updates.. When that screen finishes it reverts to the List and you can see if it is updating any more that you have already tapped or if there are any you need to Tap to start the Update.

One thing you could consider is to delete any of the countries that you are unlikely to need as you can always reload them any time you like. If you reduce the list of countries only get updates for the countries you have on the unit which speeds things up. Bear in mind you need the maps, and some like France are made up of a number of smaller maps, that will cover any journey you wish to make. .

Doug
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @macman_2021

On the Pre Discovery models that were capable of updating via Wifi they could also be updated etc with the Device connected to a PC which had My Drive Connect software running. However on the Discovery models whilst the same applies at the moment Map updates only work if the unit is connected via Wifi. This has been taken up with Tomtom particularly for those without Wifi at home , possibly for medical reasons, and also if they have poor Wifi speed this can also be an issue. The solution to the poor Wifi on the other models is to Connect to a PC when doing Updates etc.

Doug

Answers

Superuser
    edited March 29 Accepted Answer
    Hi @macman_2021

When you see there are map updates then do the following.

Tap the MB value next to Europe .
    Now tap the Circle with a mb value against each country. Sometimes a Square will appear in the middle sometimes not. After each update has been downloaded the Circle turns Blue and then when it is ready to be merged with its map it has a Tick in it.

You can try Tapping each Countries update however you may find that you will see the screen appear showing it is finalising some map updates before you have Tapped all the updates.. When that screen finishes it reverts to the List and you can see if it is updating any more that you have already tapped or if there are any you need to Tap to start the Update.

One thing you could consider is to delete any of the countries that you are unlikely to need as you can always reload them any time you like. If you reduce the list of countries only get updates for the countries you have on the unit which speeds things up. Bear in mind you need the maps, and some like France are made up of a number of smaller maps, that will cover any journey you wish to make. .

Doug
  • macman_2021macman_2021 Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Doug,
    actually..impossible to connect to the server!
    i have deleted many countries ,but..they are there, of course.
    while i see..loading,for a country..what to do with the blue button ,down the page: ADD

add..what?
    hope to have other news when the servers will be disposable.
    Superuser
    Hi @macman_2021

@VikramK or @lampard can look at the settings for you device on the TT servers and sort out the World maps if required. Look back tomorrow to see what they say.

If you have the GO Discover connected to your PC when you are trying to Add or Delete Maps it will not work. The Add and Delete options currently only work if you connect the GO unit directly to your Wifi. This is something that is being reviewed at the moment.

If you click on the Add button you should see a list of the maps that are available for you to download to the device whenever you need them free of charge.

Doug
    thanks Doug,
    before, the discover was connected both with wifi 5ghz and with cable to the Mac,just because i was charging it..to avoid update and discharge.
    But from that moment ,even if disconnected the cable,i see.updating ,for Italy and Switzerland,but,white square and a message on Mac,sayng ..: impossible to download for your Discover.

ok,i will check the Discover and..here,tomorrow.
    thanks for your time.
    UPDATE!

Right now I have updated iTALY and Switzerland in a ..VERY FEW SECONDS,with the blue circle ,surrounding the square.
    i don't know if ,Vikram ,or Lampard have taken a look in the T.T servers,in that case, this is a..real support.
    about the same matter:............

when i see: the button: updating and new elements ..with somth.ready to download,i can connect the Discover with the USB cable,with the Mac,because : software and other,excepted for-.maps,can be downloaded with cable,is it right?

thanks and..have a good night guys. ;)
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @macman_2021

On the Pre Discovery models that were capable of updating via Wifi they could also be updated etc with the Device connected to a PC which had My Drive Connect software running. However on the Discovery models whilst the same applies at the moment Map updates only work if the unit is connected via Wifi. This has been taken up with Tomtom particularly for those without Wifi at home , possibly for medical reasons, and also if they have poor Wifi speed this can also be an issue. The solution to the poor Wifi on the other models is to Connect to a PC when doing Updates etc.

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    my question was:

UPDATE : maps, only with: wifi 5ghz.
    firmware “ : USB cable and..or..wifi
    is it right ,or every kind of update is made ..only ,with: WIFI 5ghz?

thanks again ,for your time.
    Superuser
    edited March 31
    Hi @macman_2021

To the best of my knowledge you can currently Add a Map or Update a Map on the Discovery units when they are only connected to Wifi at 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz as the functions are not possible if the devices are attached to a PC. All other activities such as Operating System updates , adding Voice etc can be carried out when connected to Wifi or when the units are connected to a PC with My Drive Connect software running. Recovery of the device can only be done when connected to a PC.

Doug
    great support ,thanks.