Why does TomTom algorythm choose wrong route? — TomTom Community

Why does TomTom algorythm choose wrong route?

scubaalscubaal Posts: 39 [Master Explorer]
I have TomTom route selection set to FASTEST.
If I ask TomTom to choose route between 2 places (Monash, ACT and Huskisson, NSW) it chooses a sub-optimal route that is 30 mins LONGER than others. Why? It shows me there is a better route if I want it - but why doesn't it choose that in the first place? SAme result using Tomtom IOS app on iPhone, iPAd and MyDrive on PC so its not a problem with the device - its the map/routing algorithm. How can you find out *why* TomTom is selecting a specific route?
I have a screen shot to prove it :)
o7gf0ttff6mp.jpg

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,145 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @scubaal

I had sent this one to my team for more clarification and they came back with an explanation as below-

The reason we are not proposing the fastest route first is that this fastest route contains a long stretch of unpaved road according to our map data.

Our routing algorithm assesses routes not only based on their travel time but also other route characteristics (like how complicated the route is, how comfortable to drive, etc.). Since travel time is paramount, usually the route with the shortest travel time is also the first (best) route.

When you select “avoid unpaved”, the route in question disappears.

rlxgtpubly6j.png

Regards, Vikram.

Answers

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 904 [Revered Pioneer]
    traffic may be
  • scubaalscubaal Posts: 39 [Master Explorer]
    traffic may be

Unfortunately not :(
    I takes traffic into account when calculating the time - and says 'X minutes delay' - as you can see in the above it shows now delays on any route - but still recommends on that takes 30 minutes longer.Why?
    Ok I have done some more investigating. The algorithm has SERIOUS issues in certain circumstances. You can check this is as follows.
    Use my Drive to route between Canberra, Monash and Nerriga, NSW. TomTom identified the quickest route (via Oallen). Screenshot attached.

ercqqxhzjylw.jpg

Now change the destination to Tomerong, NSW - which is further DOWN THE SAME ROAD THROUGH NERRIGA. Ie you have to go through Nerriga to get there.

Now TomTom completely changes its route - and recommends a route that takes 30 minutes longer (even though preferred route is set to quickest). Why? Another screenshot attached.

efuk0ryge498.jpg

The problem is there is no way to interrogate WHY TomTom chooses a specific route.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,145 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @scubaal

I had sent this one to my team for more clarification and they came back with an explanation as below-

The reason we are not proposing the fastest route first is that this fastest route contains a long stretch of unpaved road according to our map data.

Our routing algorithm assesses routes not only based on their travel time but also other route characteristics (like how complicated the route is, how comfortable to drive, etc.). Since travel time is paramount, usually the route with the shortest travel time is also the first (best) route.

When you select “avoid unpaved”, the route in question disappears.

rlxgtpubly6j.png

Regards, Vikram.
    Thanks for the explanation Vikram. Whilst I understand the reason its pretty frustrating when:

a) there is NO unpaved section on that route - it was all sealed over 2 years ago, and I have reported the map error multiple times to TomTom

b) in rural NSW many roads are unsealed - so this algorithm often chooses the 'wrong' route - there should be an 'always choose fastest regardless of sealed status' option

There is an option to AVOID unsealed, but no option to say USE SEALED IF QUICKEST

thanks again for the reply.