A little idea. — TomTom Community

A little idea.

Good morning all. We all understood that unfortunately, 2G or even 3G is set to disappear in the short term (it has already disappeared in Australia and Switzerland) and that therefore PNDs with integrated SIM cards will soon no longer be on the market. You just have to see the new range "Discover" which works by being connected by bluetooth to a smartphone. We all know the limits of this technology: obligation to have a smartphone connected, difficulty in pairing (personally, I was unable to pair a GO500 with several phones and even today my GO6200 and my Premium are not connected. to several smartphones (IOS and Android) only for hands-free and not for live. During my Beta test of Discover, I was able to connect the first copy provided, I was never able to make the second copy work together with my updated Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 full, a very common basic smartphone..

I can understand that even if the additional cost for a device with integrated SIM card is important (memory about 80 €), it must cost Tomtom every month in royalties to SFR / Vodaphone even more if it is necessary to switch to 4 G .

Also my idea is the following, why (as for smartphones) not to sell a device with an empty SIM slot in which we would insert a SIM card that we would get from the supplier of our choice. For example, there are subscriptions at € 2 per month with a small data quota sufficient for the little data consumed for LIVE.

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,174 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Mike
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will forward that to the Product Team and Marketing team.

I think the only challenge here is the SIM id which is associated with the device serial number. And the services for Traffic and Speed cameras are linked to the serial number.

Although the idea theoretically sounds good; whether it would be possible to implement this practically would depend on how the integrations would work in the backend.

Thank you, Vikram

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,174 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Mike
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will forward that to the Product Team and Marketing team.

I think the only challenge here is the SIM id which is associated with the device serial number. And the services for Traffic and Speed cameras are linked to the serial number.

Although the idea theoretically sounds good; whether it would be possible to implement this practically would depend on how the integrations would work in the backend.

Thank you, Vikram