Tomtom GO 6200 keep rebooting when plugged in (PITA) — TomTom Community

Tomtom GO 6200 keep rebooting when plugged in (PITA)

I have absolutely no idea what's going on but I normally leave my device in the car, and only bring it into the house when there's an update message, it normally gets kept in the glove compartment when not in use.

When we go out now for a drive and use the Tomtom, the bloomin thing keeps shutting down, even if the devise is plugged in and charging. This has happened for the past 6 months. It doesn't matter if we leave it to charge for 5-10 min, when we switch it on it then decides to switch off then come back on again. It's like there is a bug that's making it loop and not charge correctly.
It shuts down (even if plugged in), turns back on for 2 min, then shuts down again and this keep repeating.

I have updated to the latest firmware but I'm now ready to throw this thing out and choose a different mftr, I am using the correct Tomtom charger and wire, and also never had these issues previously as this was purchased in Nov 2016, its like a glitch in the firmware :(

Has anyone got the same issues and how did you rectify? as its becoming a right PITA

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,028
    Superusers
    edited March 19
    Hi
    @leebroath1976
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)

The Power Adapter should be a tight sliding fit in the power socket...
    Some users have posted about their vehicles having none standard oversize car power sockets causing an intermittent power connection.....
    For more Charging/Battery info see.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1746913/#Comment_1746913

Is the device stuffed full of Maps ??? Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Free space... 400 MB is considered the bare Minimum...
    The more Free Space available the faster the device will run....

Try logging out of your Wi-Fi....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection

(You can't actually log out you can only 'Forget' the connection)
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    Tap (^) Icon Screen top right
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi.... For Updating etc....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device... I turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • johncornejohncorne Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    my 5200 has the same symptoms...

Have disconnected (forgotten) the WiFi

Free memory should be plenty (and much more than 400MB )

Internal 12.42 GB
    Memory card 23.16 GB

it even keeps restarting while displaying the "about" information above

Is there any debugging information somewhere?

Jc

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,028
    Superusers
    edited March 21
    Hi
    @johncorne
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then RELEASE the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,600
    Superuser
    Hi @johncorne

Does it still happen if you take the extra memory card out.

Doug
    re the drum-roll reboot - yes , I've done this (manually) and it does it every so often during its (whatever the non-drum-roll restart is called) series.

I've not tried removing the SD card - it has my maps on!

Jc
    Superuser
    edited March 22
    Hi @johncorne

Are you able to Add a Map if so try Venezuela, it is very small, then take out the Extra Memory Card and create a route on the Unit and then run the Route preview in Current Route. You will not be able to press Drive to test as you need to be in Venezuela.

Having done that then if that seems to run normally then I would restore maps, loading on the internal memory then Format the Extra memory card in your PC , a full Format not a Quick format.

Doug
    OK - removed SD card - problem still identical. Having started driving to a destination, the sequence is...

(a) Map responds normally (rotates as car turns , distance to next turn decreases etc)

(b) voice says "you will reach your destination at xx:xx"

(c) Map freezes for maybe 20 seconds

(d) screen goes black for a few seconds

(e) grey world map appears briefly

(f) go to (a)

sometimes at (f) there is the drum-roll reboot.

This goes on for a long time (at least 30 minutes) and then suddenly all seems to work normal till the next route is selected

Jc
    Well - while it is still a pretty much useless piece of kit now... can anyone answer the other part of my question - how does one debug this?

Jc
    Superuser
    Hi @johncorne

Th following is how you can replace the operating system with a new version if you are able to do what is required. There is no way to debug that users can do.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

Doug
    Thanks Doug , reloaded the OS as per that link - it then downloaded updates and now it is in exactly the same state. Not even 3 years old!

Jc