My GO 500, with full internal memory, gets stuck on updates — TomTom Community

My GO 500, with full internal memory, gets stuck on updates

NaveMarinaNaveMarina Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
I've freshly installed MyDrive Connect, the device (GO 500) gets connected to it and updates are shown, ready to be started even if the internal memory is full and the microSD is empty (even though it has been formatted in FAT32 on PC and then formatted by the device to store maps in it!).
Through the software seems impossible to empty some memory space because there is the only 8GB+ European map. I tried to do some trickery through the voice installation UI (where you can manage installed packages and moving them between internal memory and SD card) trying to move the map onto the SD card but nothing, same problem every time: the PC downloads the necessary and at the moment of sending it to the device it seamply gets stuck, not even showing any process percentage.
This happens obviously with the Nav4 mandatory update.
I tried to delete download cache, factory resetting the device both through the settings and the recovery mode but nothing.

Idk what else to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,444 Moderator
    edited March 17 Accepted Answer
    Hi @NaveMarina
    Welcome to the community!
    I have asked my team to free up space on your device by removing the existing map.
    Please follow the steps as below-

1. Disconnect the device and delete the HOME3 folder located at -

C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Local\TomTom\HOME3\cache

2. Remove the memory card and connect the device to MyDrive Connect.
    As the jobs process the device might reboot.

3. If you see the no maps screen disconnect the device from MyDrive Connect and do a soft reset.

4. Connect the device again to MyDrive Connect and check for updates. A small map of Venezuela will get offered as a download. Install it on the internal memory.

5. Disconnect the device and perform another soft reset.
    6. Insert the memory card and let the device format it.
    7. Now connect it again to the computer and install the Europe map on the memory card.

Regards, Vikram
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,623
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @NaveMarina

When you have completed the above do not remove the small map but leave it loaded on the internal memory. The benefit is that should you do a Map update, which should be done one at a time if you have more than one, then if you have an issue resulting in the map being lost you still have the small map on the device to enable you to start the unit normally.

Doug

Answers

• NaveMarinaNaveMarina Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I took also some screenshots

wulecgqf5wjj.png
    33yjix0bzdcp.png
    Superuser
    edited March 16
    Hi @NaveMarina

I assume the issue is that you must do the Navi update before you can do anything else.

Let’s see what @VikramK or @lampard suggest to resolve this. They may also add a small map to your account which when you can add will help avoid the No maps found situation.

If you Tap My Content in My Drive Connect then Tap the map are you offered a smallerEurooe map that you can add at this point. Once done then you can sort out the Nav Op update then reverse the map process and get the Full Europe map which will need the extra memory card.

Look back here later to see what the Mid says.

Voices only go on the internal memory like the Op Software and as you say the card is formatted for maps so that is all it will accept.

Doug
    edited March 16
    Thank you very much Doug for your quick answer.
    If you Tap My Content in My Drive Connect then Tap the map are you offered a smallerEurooe map that you can add at this point
    I forgot to say that I tried also that but in this case doesn't even let me choose where to put that; it starts the process and gets stuck as always.

I think too that the big problem here is that the internal memory is full. I'm wondering if there's a way to erase it 'cause the factory reset doesn't seem to be touching any of that other than settings.

I got in this situation I think after an update attempt, during which it probably ran out of memory and now there's no space even for the Nav4 update.

EDIT: after looking at the log file didn't see any error, just like the UI doesn't show any
    Superuser
    Hi @NaveMarina

Just to explain that the idea was that if you could select a smaller Europe map then what happens is the unit should then replace the current map on the internal memory with the smaller map thus freeing up internal memory. Then if that has worked then you can look to add a map that @VikramK or @lampard offer you which would also go on the internal memory. Then when you have done that you can go back to My Content /Map and seek to then load the full map which will then go on the SD Card as it will be too big for the internal memory. The Smaller Europe map on the internal memory will be deleted by this process leaving lots of free memory on the units internal memory.

Doug
    Ok, I'll try this again hoping for the success. Do I need to PM the guys you mentioned or there already is a post with instructions?
    Thank you Doug
    Superuser
    Hi @NaveMarina

I am hoping they will post here later today or tomorrow when they are back on the forum.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,444 Moderator
    edited March 17 Accepted Answer
    Hi @NaveMarina
    Welcome to the community!
    I have asked my team to free up space on your device by removing the existing map.
    Please follow the steps as below-

1. Disconnect the device and delete the HOME3 folder located at -

C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Local\TomTom\HOME3\cache

2. Remove the memory card and connect the device to MyDrive Connect.
    As the jobs process the device might reboot.

3. If you see the no maps screen disconnect the device from MyDrive Connect and do a soft reset.

4. Connect the device again to MyDrive Connect and check for updates. A small map of Venezuela will get offered as a download. Install it on the internal memory.

5. Disconnect the device and perform another soft reset.
    6. Insert the memory card and let the device format it.
    7. Now connect it again to the computer and install the Europe map on the memory card.

Regards, Vikram
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @NaveMarina

When you have completed the above do not remove the small map but leave it loaded on the internal memory. The benefit is that should you do a Map update, which should be done one at a time if you have more than one, then if you have an issue resulting in the map being lost you still have the small map on the device to enable you to start the unit normally.

Doug
    edited March 17
    Wow. Thank you two really much. Everything went as explained. Right now I'm downloading the Europe map, so I don't think it'll break now.
    At first I was about to give up! Then you two solved the problem in just one day.

Thanks again @VikramK and @DougLap, I wish you the best.