How to activate voice control on GO 600 — TomTom Community

How to activate voice control on GO 600

The instructions say to activate it in the menu but it is not shown.

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,670
    Superusers
    edited March 17 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Gazza52
    Firstly... Voice control requires a voice that speaks street names. When there is no voice that speaks street names installed and selected on your TomTom GO, this feature is not available.
    To select a voice that reads aloud street names, select Voices in the Settings menu, then select Choose a voice and select a Computer voice that reads aloud street names.

The 'Automatic speech recognition' and the 'Speak & Go', are the features of the Built-in Voice control used on the Mid to Top end Car devices....
    They have a Microphone notch in the bezel... Like this GO 5000 image
    43uiqt47lpei.png
    Check... Some very early NAV4 devices were not fitted with a Microphone... No notch = No microphone no Speak & Go....

Voice control (Speak&Go)
    Here... https://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/new_GO/html/en-gb/index.htm#Voicecontrol(Speak&Go).htm

GO 600 / GO 610 User Manual....
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014363319-GO-600-GO-610-User-Manual....
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,261
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Gazza52

The picture I have seen has a small pinhole on the edge of the screen top right.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,221 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi All

There we two versions of the GO 600. The model that does not have a mic as shown in the image added by @YamFazMan won't support using voice control.

Thanks, Vikram

Answers

Superusers
    edited March 16
    Hi
    @Gazza52
    Welcome to the Site....
    You MUST use a TTS (Text to Speech) Computer Voice for Voice Control....
    I think the Australian TTS Voice is Karen (Female) ???
    Scroll up from the 'Selected voice' as well as down... The required voice can be above the 'Selected voice'
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Gazza52Gazza52 Posts: 6 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi YamFazMan,
    Thank you but I don't think I made my question clear. I am not looking for a voice that reads out street names. I want to control my GPS by voice, i.e. tell it to go to an address without typing the address in etc.
    Superusers
    edited March 17 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Gazza52
    Firstly... Voice control requires a voice that speaks street names. When there is no voice that speaks street names installed and selected on your TomTom GO, this feature is not available.
    To select a voice that reads aloud street names, select Voices in the Settings menu, then select Choose a voice and select a Computer voice that reads aloud street names.

The 'Automatic speech recognition' and the 'Speak & Go', are the features of the Built-in Voice control used on the Mid to Top end Car devices....
    They have a Microphone notch in the bezel... Like this GO 5000 image
    43uiqt47lpei.png
    Check... Some very early NAV4 devices were not fitted with a Microphone... No notch = No microphone no Speak & Go....

Voice control (Speak&Go)
    Here... https://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/new_GO/html/en-gb/index.htm#Voicecontrol(Speak&Go).htm

GO 600 / GO 610 User Manual....
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014363319-GO-600-GO-610-User-Manual....
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thank you. My GPS doesn't have the notch so it apparently doesn't have a microphone. The photo on the original box shows a GO 600 with a notch, so I guess that I got scammed.
    Superuser
    Hi @Gazza52

Maybe we can get @VikramK or @lampard to identify what model unit you have and whether it had Voice Control on it.

Look back later to see what they say

Doug
    Thank you Doug.
    Superuser
    Hi @Gazza52

The thought I have is whether you a GO60 but it was in a GO600 box. On an image of the 60 I cannot see a microphone hole but I can see it on a 600.

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    The 'About' screen on my GPS confirms that I have the GO 600 and the serial number displayed matches the serial number on the box.
    Perhaps the early models didn't have a microphone.
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Gazza52

The picture I have seen has a small pinhole on the edge of the screen top right.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,221 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi All

There we two versions of the GO 600. The model that does not have a mic as shown in the image added by @YamFazMan won't support using voice control.

Thanks, Vikram
    Thank you Vikram. That explains why my GPS doesn't have a mic.