How to install the maps on a 16GB sd card — TomTom Community

How to install the maps on a 16GB sd card

Hello,

If someone could help to install the maps on a 16GB sd card that would be very helpful.

I am strugling to install the maps for 2 months and it is getting very frustrating.

I cant find any good tutorials on how to make it happen, there where a couple of answers that i needed to install something on the 8GB sd card bit i just cant figure it out anymore.

So please if someone could help me i would appreciate it.

Kind regards

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,550
    Superuser
    Hi @robbielinton

What Tomtom device are you proposing to use the memory card with?

Doug
  • robbielintonrobbielinton Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I am using the tomtom go 600 Model: 4FA60
    Superuser
    Hi @robbielinton

If you want to use the card with the GO600 then you need to insert it in the extra memory card slot and format it for maps then use the MyDrive Connect software to load the maps.

If you already have a card in the GO600 and no map on the units internal memory then you will not be able to do that as you need a map to start the unit up.

If you are thinking that you want to load the maps on the card be aware then the maps can only be used on the device they were supplied with or bought for as they are tied to the serial number.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap ,

I know that i have to insert the card in to the card slot to use it but i cant load the maps on the sd card that is my issue.

if i insert the 16GB SD card it wont be recognized by the tomtom but if i insert the 8GB card the tomtom does recognize the card but i am not able to install the maps on the SD card. I tried everything i could find on the tomtom software and on my drive connect but nothinig helped.

I formatted both of the sd cards but still no use, also my drive connect wont give me the option to install the maps on the sd card

Rob
    Superuser
    Hi @robbielinton

Here are a few questions which may help us resolve the issue.

Do you have a map on the internal memory so that you can start the unit normally.

How much Free Memory do you have on the internal memory See About in Settings/System

What make is the 16gb card, Some lesser known makes have been known to have issues.

When you formatted the cards was it to Fat32 and did you do a Full Format or a Quick format. The full Format is needed.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

Yes i do have a map on the internal memory. The unit does start normally.

There is 3.14GB free space on the unit

The make is SanDisk Ultra 16GB

Yes i did a full format with windows and it was also Fat32 but still no use. The tomtom does recognize the sd card and it asks to be formatted when i insert it. after i format it again it asks if i want to use the sdcard for routes or maps. there i choose maps it installs the voices and everything but when i connect the tomtom with my drive it still doesnt see the sdcard in the tomtom.

Rob

Hello,

It has been an couple days does anybody knows how to help me with this issue?

Kind regards,

Rob
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,388 Moderator
    @robbielinton
    Hi Rob
    I am not sure what the problem is over here. The GO 600 should be compatible to work with the 16GB memory card.
    Would it be possible to try and check if a different memory card(same size)?

Regards, Vikram
    Hi Vikram,

I have tried multiple cards but the only one that it recognizes are the one with 8GB on it.

I dont understand why it doesnt recognize the 16GB.

Rob
    Superuser
    Hi @robbielinton

If you do the following it should replace the Operating software on the unit with a fresh one so if the issue still occurs we should have eliminated it being a software issue.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,979
    Superusers
    edited March 25
    Hi
    @robbielinton
    I always use the SD Card Association formatting tool....
    Windows.... https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/sd-memory-card-formatter-for-windows-download/

Mac... https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/sd-memory-card-formatter-for-mac-download/
    After you have formatted the Memory card....
    insert the Memory card the PND... It should detect the card and offer to format it... Choose the Maps format option....
    Or... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System... Choose 'Format memory card'... Choose the Maps format option....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hey,

Thank you very much for all your help @DougLap the sd card is being recognized by the tomtom now, but i have another issue how do i install the maps on the sd card i dont get the option to install them on the sd card. I already tried to format the sd card to use it for the maps but my tomtom says that the sd card is already formatted to be used for the maps.

Greetings

Rob
    Superusers
    edited March 26
    Hi
    @robbielinton
    (Snip) I already tried to format the SD card to use it for the maps, but my TomTom says that the SD card is already formatted to be used for Maps
    Reformat the Memory card to on your PC to Fat32....
    See the post above your last post....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

I did that already but still no use i dont get the option to install the maps when i connect the tomtom to my drive.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @robbielinton
    Hers a link to a previous post (not quite the same subject) but it does explain how to select where you choose to install a Map, either onto the SD Card or the On-board memory....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704859/#Comment_1704859

Stay Safe... ATB YFM