Lost of GPS connection rider 550 — TomTom Community

Lost of GPS connection rider 550

ebikerebiker Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited March 15 in RIDER
hello, my rider 550 behaves abnormally: accidentally, it loses gps contact, the screen remains blocked and does not scroll. Other times it doesn't bring the pointer back to the road but a little to the side, then it gets back on the road and then gets lost again: other times it works well. All this on the bike and in open spaces, not in the city. Tested 3 times in the car, there seems to be no problem with signal loss. Is there a way to check the number of satellites it takes? Or some other way to understand what this strange malfunction depends on?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,978
    Superusers
    edited March 15
    Hi
    @ebiker
    Welcome to the site....
    On the bike are you using the Rider 550 internal battery ???
    If yes is the Battery FULLY charged ???
    Or are you using a 12 volt supply on the bike is there 5+ Volts across the pins on the mount ???

eurbigekqj3k.jpg

ATB YFM
  • ebikerebiker Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi, on the bike I used the mount. I will check the correct voltage. In the car I used it without charge.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 667 [Revered Pioneer]
    Does your bike has a TFT display?

When I mount my Ridder 550 verry close to my TFT the GPS reception is weaker than 20cm higher. Then I can see there is more delay and sometimes the position jumps a bit. Also, the speed measurement is not as stable as normal.
    (The I ownwed Zumo XT clearly lost GPS reception when mounted riding in for example a forrest on the same position so its not only a TomTom issue)

With some bikes the TFT displays have less distortion than my KTM for example BMW.
    Others seem to have more distortion than my KTM for example Yamaha and Moto Guzzi.
    No, my bike has the standard dashboard. I also add that it is a type of defect that does not always occur but only occasionally. Yesterday I drove 300 km and he did it 10 times. twice did not update the road for about 15 km. And, I repeat, in the open area.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 667 [Revered Pioneer]
    Maybe it’s the bikes vibrations.

You can try to set the orientation lock.

edited March 15
    I can try it. Is there on rider 550 something to see the satellite quantity and signal strenght?
    Update, I've just check the voltage on two pins. There are 5,55 volts. With engn off and on both, the voltage is still 5,55 volts.
    Superusers
    edited March 23
    Hi
    @BrendanShipley
    Is your device is showing a small Satellite Dish at the top of the Traffic Bar, If 'Yes' then your device has not synced with the GPS Satellites and their Clocks

d3c5q4pjl6sq.jpg
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh and clears the on-board Memory Working Space....

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs
    Have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible....
    For the First Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1654017/#Comment_1654017

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Yes, when I had the problem, the symbol appeared that it was unable to capture the signal from the satellites, despite being outdoors. So it sounds like a switch off and back on of the navigator? if so I had done it when he asked me the problem, but without solving it.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @
    ebiker wrote: »
    (Snip) So it sounds like a switch off and back on of the navigator? If so I had done it when he asked me the problem, but without solving it.
    The Soft/Drum roll restart on the device is different to a 'Switch it off and back on again'....
    The Soft/Drum roll restart restarts the devices Operating System afresh and clears the on-board Memory Working Space....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM