IPad (no SIM card) query — TomTom Community

IPad (no SIM card) query

Rare75016Rare75016 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
Hi, before purchasing the Tom Tom Go, I have a question if anyone could help, thanks:
I don't have CarPlay in my car so I use my iPad Air (4th Gen-no SIM card) as my navigator/office, I connect it to the net by hotspot directly from my iPhone.
Currently on my IPad, Waze and Google Maps do not work and both gives me the "no GPS signal" message, even though the GPS is working fine on my IPad (I have checked with the GPS Checking apps), and both of their supports are numb for my queries.
Will Tom Tom Go app work fine with all its functions on an IPad that is connected to the net through a mobile hotspot (my phone)?
Really appreciate your feedback, I commute for work 25mi back and forth and Tom Tom would really be my best option.
Nader
Tagged:

Best Answer

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rare75016

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and have just upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro. I use the 6s Plus as the SatNav (running TomTom Go) and it's connected to TomTom Traffic via hotspot to my iPhone 12 Pro. The set-up works well and gets traffic and is very similar to what you're hoping to do.

By the way, I use the iPhone 6s Plus as the SatNav as its battery life is poor so it's always powered via a 2.0A (or it may even be a 2.4A) supply. This allows me the luxury of only charging the iPhone 12 when it needs it.

As you have an iPhone, try TomTom for the shortest subscription period and then first try TomTom on your iPhone only. Once you're happy with how TomTom works then try downloading TomTom onto your iPad.

Are you absolutely sure that your iPad has a working GPS? If you can't get Waze or Google maps to work, then it does sound like the GPS is not working. Can you get any other app that uses GPS to work e.g. Apple Maps, Google Earth, etc?

Whilst I have an iPad, it has no SIM and no GPS so I can't test it for you.

Hopefully, somebody with an iPad that has GPS could give their advice.

Answers

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Rare75016

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and have just upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro. I use the 6s Plus as the SatNav (running TomTom Go) and it's connected to TomTom Traffic via hotspot to my iPhone 12 Pro. The set-up works well and gets traffic and is very similar to what you're hoping to do.

By the way, I use the iPhone 6s Plus as the SatNav as its battery life is poor so it's always powered via a 2.0A (or it may even be a 2.4A) supply. This allows me the luxury of only charging the iPhone 12 when it needs it.

As you have an iPhone, try TomTom for the shortest subscription period and then first try TomTom on your iPhone only. Once you're happy with how TomTom works then try downloading TomTom onto your iPad.

Are you absolutely sure that your iPad has a working GPS? If you can't get Waze or Google maps to work, then it does sound like the GPS is not working. Can you get any other app that uses GPS to work e.g. Apple Maps, Google Earth, etc?

Whilst I have an iPad, it has no SIM and no GPS so I can't test it for you.

Hopefully, somebody with an iPad that has GPS could give their advice.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,639
    Superusers
    edited March 15
    Hi
    @Rare75016
    Welcome to the site...
    Just checked... Using My iPhone 6 (iOS 12.5.1) iPad 7 (iOS 14.4.1)
    Turned off Home Wi-Fi and Connected over Wi-Fi Hotspot on the iPhone 6
    All seems to be working Traffic & Location OK ... But NOT road tested....

If you want a real and more accurate 'GPS' Location on your iPhone or iPad you may want to consider....
    The Dual Universal XGPS150 GPS receiver it connects over Bluetooth to an App on the device, I used a XGPS150 GPS unit with the 1st Tomtom App on my iPad 3

See Video...
    See...

There is also the Dual XGPS160 GPS receiver....
    See Video....

See...

Stay safe... ATB YFM

• Rare75016Rare75016 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi @PrivateerUK thanks a lot for your feedback, sorry for the delay but I decided to take on your advice and try the shortest subscription to test it and share the results directly, but before that and to answer your question about the GPS in my iPad, it is working, at least according to those GPS checking apps on the Apple Store, I retried using Waze and Google Maps again last night with my iPad (while connected through hotspot to my iPhone Xs Max) from home (I live in a loft on a top floor with a huge terrace area, theoretically nothing is blocking the sky (except for the mild sandstorm we were having since Friday), Waze still have the GPS "not connected" issue, however Google Maps worked fine, my first deductions was that somehow a hotspot connection would block map apps from accessing the device's GPS, and that Google Maps (maybe in its recent updates) managed to resolve it, not Waze though, by the way their tech support still has not get back to me. So this morning, and after getting TomTom Go shortest subscription, it's working fine on on my iPad, only issue I faced was a slower response by the app to my actual driving, for instance if I make a U-turn on a main road, and take the first right, the map would still see me on the main road for a few seconds before catching up with my position (either a synching connection issue or a GPS issue?..), I believe it is a most probably a GPS issue (currently I place my iPad leaning on my dashboard between the my seat and the other seat, I have a Volvo XC90 2008), so the back of my iPad is covered by both its cover and my Volvo equipment, I think I will order me on Amazon one of those iPad holders, that comes with a stick holed to my seat's base, this way nothing can block it as it will b e literally in the air.
    Last thing, the traffic info and delays shown on TomTom Go along my route were optimum compared to Google Maps and Waze: both of them would increase (along the way) the timing, rarely showing a correct estimate from the moment I press the "let's go", which is not the case with TomTom Go.
    I think the only needed enhancement for me would be to have a radio bottom directly on the map screen, I listen to Sirius (Online) through my app, and every time I need to change the channel while driving is a bit of a pickle! Waze has this option (only with Radio.com though).
    Cheers!
    Nader
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,639
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Rare75016
    Rare75016 wrote: »
    (Snip) So this morning, and after getting TomTom Go shortest subscription, it's working fine on my iPad, only issue I faced was a slower response by the app to my actual driving, for instance if I make a U-turn on a main road, and take the first right, the map would still see me on the main road for a few seconds before catching up with my position (either a synching connection issue or a GPS issue?…), I believe it is a most probably a GPS issue (currently I place my iPad leaning on my dashboard between my seat and the other seat, I have a Volvo XC90 2008), so the back of my iPad is covered by both its cover and my Volvo equipment, I think I will order me on Amazon one of those iPad holders, that comes with a stick holed to my seat's base, this way nothing can block it as it will b e literally in the air (Snip)
    As you have stated the device set low down or low down behind the dashboard can cause a reduction in the satellite signal....

Has the Volvo got a metallized Heat reflecting windscreen, this will kill the satellite signal dead
    Maybe Try Here : GPS RE Radiating Antenna.....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-Re-Radiation-RE-Radiating-Antenna-Aerial-SBG-190-reradiating-signal-wireles-/330618801252

Some Cheap Dash Cams have poor RF Shielding, the stray RF can also reduce the satellite signal

ATB YFM